Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current 6 is hitting 60K miles and 3yrs so I'm starting to look for a new car. I stopped following the MS6 awhile back after reading about all of the limp mode problems. Not to mention I experienced this problem first hand while test driving one last year. It just didn't sound like Mazda had their act together when it came to the MS6.

Anyway, its a year later, I'm more in the mood to buy, so I figured I'd give Mazda another chance. After a quick check on this forum and Google for any major issues with the latest MS6, I headed to the dealership. The car was as ugly to me as it was the first time I saw it; too high off the ground (thanks to 4WD), front lower grill way too big, the back was too plain (lack of a real spoiler), the rims are downright ugly, and silver is no longer an optional paint color.

As soon a s I saw it I almost walked out, but, the price kind of caught my eye. Last time I checked these were going for $36K fully loaded yet here one sits for $26K fully loaded, which is the same price I paid for mine 3yrs ago. After getting ripped off, I mean trading in, my car I'd only owe about $16K for the next version of my car with more power and the latest features. I could even swap the headlamp assemblies from mine to the MS6 so that I could have integrated fogs and stock lower fogs. That would be pretty sweet considering how difficult it was to get lower fogs in my current 6 and I would get around the fact that integrated fogs combined with lower fogs is usually an impossible combination to achieve.

So, with all that weighing in the balance I decided to try another test drive, the test drive would be the deciding factor.

The biggest complaint I have about the test drive is the clutch. As much as I've wanted a clutch, the MS6 truly disappointed me in that department. I've never driven a performance based car that had that much clutch travel. When the clutch was all the way up my knees hit the steering wheel, yet if I slid the seat back it seemed to take forever for the clutch to reach the floor. I ended up engaging the clutch just enough to shift gears which isn't good because I probably was not fully disengaged the pressure plate. I drove the Acura TL 6 speed previously and the clutch/shifting action was nothing short of perfect. The clutch in the Acura almost touched the floor, the shifter was so short you didn't even think about shifting to the next gear, and the pressure plate re-engaged instantly when you released the clutch. If the MS6 had been even close, I think I would have gone for it. But a performance car with a clutch pedal that is higher than the the brake pedal is just a hard one to stomach.

The next eye opener was the reduced warranty. I had a lot of problems with my current 6 between 40K-50K miles, the new warranty on the MS6 (3yr/36K) would have left me high and dry. When I asked the salesman about it he said Mazda was falling in line with other major manufacturers. But when I mentioned that all the other major manufacturers were still providing at least 4yr/50K for their flagship models he didn't have much to say.

Overall it looks like the MS6 is still not for me. If Mazda had stuck with the V6 (less revs, more torque), implemented rear wheel drive (retained the lower profile, shaved weight), super charged the v6 (more torque, simpler config, smoother power), and kept the looks of the 2003 Mazda6 (integrated windshield antenna, ground effects, spoiler, body shape, smaller front grill), I would already own a MazdaSpeed6.

For me, Mazda really missed the mark with the MazdaSpeed6 so it looks like my next car will definitely not be a Mazda. Everything here is strictly my opinion, I'm not trying to offend any MS6 owners, but I simply do not like the direction Mazda took, and based on the discounts they are offering, it looks like a lot of other potential buyers don't either.

BTW, the out the door cost for the MS6 I looked at was $28,529. This included taxes, tags, dealer fees etc. This was for a 2006 MS6 Grand Touring edition. I may have gotten it cheaper, but I didn't feel like haggling for a car I no longer wanted.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My current 6 is hitting 60K miles and 3yrs so I'm starting to look for a new car. I stopped following the MS6 awhile back after reading about all of the limp mode problems. Not to mention I experienced this problem first hand while test driving one last year. It just didn't sound like Mazda had their act together when it came to the MS6.

Anyway, its a year later, I'm more in the mood to buy, so I figured I'd give Mazda another chance. After a quick check on this forum and Google for any major issues with the latest MS6, I headed to the dealership. The car was as ugly to me as it was the first time I saw it; too high off the ground (thanks to 4WD), front lower grill way too big, the back was too plain (lack of a real spoiler), the rims are downright ugly, and silver is no longer an optional paint color.

As soon a s I saw it I almost walked out, but, the price kind of caught my eye. Last time I checked these were going for $36K fully loaded yet here one sits for $26K fully loaded, which is the same price I paid for mine 3yrs ago. After getting ripped off, I mean trading in, my car I'd only owe about $16K for the next version of my car with more power and the latest features. I could even swap the headlamp assemblies from mine to the MS6 so that I could have integrated fogs and stock lower fogs. That would be pretty sweet considering how difficult it was to get lower fogs in my current 6 and I would get around the fact that integrated fogs combined with lower fogs is usually an impossible combination to achieve.

So, with all that weighing in the balance I decided to try another test drive, the test drive would be the deciding factor.

The biggest complaint I have about the test drive is the clutch. As much as I've wanted a clutch, the MS6 truly disappointed me in that department. I've never driven a performance based car that had that much clutch travel. When the clutch was all the way up my knees hit the steering wheel, yet if I slid the seat back it seemed to take forever for the clutch to reach the floor. I ended up engaging the clutch just enough to shift gears which isn't good because I probably was not fully disengaged the pressure plate. I drove the Acura TL 6 speed previously and the clutch/shifting action was nothing short of perfect. The clutch in the Acura almost touched the floor, the shifter was so short you didn't even think about shifting to the next gear, and the pressure plate re-engaged instantly when you released the clutch. If the MS6 had been even close, I think I would have gone for it. But a performance car with a clutch pedal that is higher than the the brake pedal is just a hard one to stomach.

The next eye opener was the reduced warranty. I had a lot of problems with my current 6 between 40K-50K miles, the new warranty on the MS6 (3yr/36K) would have left me high and dry. When I asked the salesman about it he said Mazda was falling in line with other major manufacturers. But when I mentioned that all the other major manufacturers were still providing at least 4yr/50K for their flagship models he didn't have much to say.

Overall it looks like the MS6 is still not for me. If Mazda had stuck with the V6 (less revs, more torque), implemented rear wheel drive (retained the lower profile, shaved weight), super charged the v6 (more torque, simpler config, smoother power), and kept the looks of the 2003 Mazda6 (integrated windshield antenna, ground effects, spoiler, body shape, smaller front grill), I would already own a MazdaSpeed6.

For me, Mazda really missed the mark with the MazdaSpeed6 so it looks like my next car will definitely not be a Mazda. Everything here is strictly my opinion, I'm not trying to offend any MS6 owners, but I simply do not like the direction Mazda took, and based on the discounts they are offering, it looks like a lot of other potential buyers don't either.

BTW, the out the door cost for the MS6 I looked at was $28,529. This included taxes, tags, dealer fees etc. This was for a 2006 MS6 Grand Touring edition. I may have gotten it cheaper, but I didn't feel like haggling for a car I no longer wanted.
[/b]

To each his own, but just to respond in short.

1) Clutch travel is an easily fixed item.....too bad WE have to fix it, but it is easily done.

2) Lack of rear spoiler.....great! Since I'm not 12 anymore, I therefore realise that a large rear "spoiler" is worthless unless it's actually needed to provided downforce for the vehicle. I've been able to drive it at top speed for a good length of time, and even at 155, there is no need for addtional downforce. Anymore than what we have would unbalance the car and put us in the "poser" category next to so many Hondas with "whale tails".

3)Price....great bang for the buck. My friend just bought a used 2 year old Audi with less horsepower, less handling for almost the same price.

4) Peformance problems - none here thank you.

5) Looks.....love the front, macho without being too over board. I do agree that the rear could have been improved, but a spoiler is NOT the way.

6) Wheels....they are ok...nothing great, but they keep the tires rouind.

My 2 cents worth.

Wayne

·
Registered
967 Posts
Fair opinion. Sounds like the model you drove could have done with a clutch pedal adjustment. Also, you're the first one I've heard of to mention that the driving position is poor. I find this car to have one of the best driving positions I've ever driven. And driving postion is paramount for me as I'm 6'2" 235lbs. You do know that the steering wheel telescopes right? All in all what car will you be looking at next?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The TL better be a nicer car, it costs more.... thats like saying You turned down a 350Z because it didn't have quite the edge the porsche 911 you drove did, well shit the 911 costs twice as much it SHOULD be better car....

P.S. Every one here sees your attempt to insult the car, just because you say you arent insulting something dosen't dosent mean you arent

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

P.P.S. I didn't mean to offend you or insult you ;)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well... I think it depends on what you want... I mean...

Evo, STI, 335i... Speed6 I "think" are pretty much the only 4 cars in the AWD Turbo 250-300 hp range... THey all have similar setups.. settings.. bla bla bla.. and 4 doors... I think the 335i might only be 2 door i'm not sure...

ANYWAY... of those 4... the Speed6 and 335i are the only ones worth every day driving... and are the only 2 with creature comforts... cruse control shit like that.... they strip the evo and STi's out pretty much for rally only...

I didn't like the 335i and it costs A LOT more than the others...

You'll have to drop down to 2wd.. and less HP to get different cars... Speed3... GTI.. um... 350z...G35... SRT-4 (discontinued?)... are a few of the other higher performance smaller cars...

I didn't mention Audi... because they are always good for everything.. but spendy as hell so... if you go Audi... you'll pay out the ass for anything but you'll get somethin pretty damn nice...

I'm waiting to drive a speed6 with modified clutch... HOWEVER... Of everyone i've LET drive my car... they all say "holy shit thats nice...." they drive Scions... Civics... you name it cheaper cars... and the speed6 shift/clutch setup is pretty short and firm... I personally like it a lot...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Fair opinion. Sounds like the model you drove could have done with a clutch pedal adjustment. Also, you're the first one I've heard of to mention that the driving position is poor. I find this car to have one of the best driving positions I've ever driven. And driving postion is paramount for me as I'm 6'2" 235lbs. You do know that the steering wheel telescopes right? All in all what car will you be looking at next?
[/b]
+1, 6'2" 220 here, once I found the right seat and wheel position, it's fantastic. The one very minor complaint I have is I wish there was a seat memory so when a friend/wife/tech drives my car, I didn't have to fiddle with the seat for 5 minutes to get it just right again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
[/b]
I guess I don't have a problem with the driving position being 6'4" myself

Wayne

·
Registered
244 Posts
Is this just me, or the biggest complains of MS6 ALWAYS came from regular 6 owners? Yes, the biggest bash from MS6 is inside the mazda community itself. I used to have an accord and still own a WRX, both Honda board and Subaru board gives great respect to MS6 both in style and performance.

I read lots lots LOTS of similar post on this board before. If I do a search I probably can find like 100 similar posts, ever since the MS6 came out last year. It is always about how regular 6 looks better than a MS6, and MS6 should have some sort of V6 engine, and MS6 didn't really have that a big performance edge over the regular 6 and bleh bleh bleh...

Funny thing is I never read similar complain from other owners in other forums, and I never hear MS6 owner complain about regular 6. Sorry I just have to say this, because I am tired of MS6 bashing INSIDE the mazda community.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Is this just me, or the biggest complains of MS6 ALWAYS came from regular 6 owners? Yes, the biggest bash from MS6 is inside the mazda community itself. I used to have an accord and still own a WRX, both Honda board and Subaru board gives great respect to MS6 both in style and performance.

I read lots lots LOTS of similar post on this board before. If I do a search I probably can find like 100 similar posts, ever since the MS6 came out last year. It is always about how regular 6 looks better than a MS6, and MS6 should have some sort of V6 engine, and MS6 didn't really have that a big performance edge over the regular 6 and bleh bleh bleh...

Funny thing is I never read similar complain from other owners in other forums, and I never hear MS6 owner complain about regular 6. Sorry I just have to say this, because I am tired of MS6 bashing INSIDE the mazda community.
[/b]
A lot of MS6 owners have previously owned a 6. That's why they don't complain about the car. As for the ones who own 6's and complain about the MS6, I can't see how that's possible without absent some jealousy. I have both cars.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If warranty is an issue buy a 2006 they still have the 4yr/50000, like they said the clutch can be adj. cant help you if you dont like the looks.But you drive a 6 now they dont even look that diff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The original poster may have had the fact wrong -- the 2006 model comes with 4yr warranty, not 3 yr.

I drove my friend's Acura TL from time to time and had made effort to find a more comfortable driving postion for longer trip, but I haven't not been able to find that. It also took me at least a week to find the best possible driving position in my MS6, but it is by far the most comfortable one I ever experienced.

The funny thing is that of the 3 persons I've let drive my car, they bascially marveled and said the same thing -- "Wow, this is really nice....gosh...", and they own BMW, Acura, Saab, and Accord. No joke.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just let them hate the car. Yeah, the speed6 is slow as snail. It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It drinks gas like crazy. It just falls apart if you push it too much. It will self explode within two months of ownership. All girls will stay away from you if they see you in one ever.

I pray every night that speed6 doesn't sell well so the dealers have to further lower the price. Then one day I can pick up another one for cheap in pearl white to match my shirt on wednesday. :)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

[/b]
I owned a 2003 6s for 3 years and traded for the Speed6. I love this car so much more than my 6s. The 6s was a nice family sporty sedan with good looks. But it didn't have balls, even with the V6 it had. This car is a sports sedan with balls and it attracts way more attention than I am used to, perhaps because of the color.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
i thought i was tall at 6'3....

then again i'm asian.

if i owned a mazda6 before hand chances are i wouldn't be driving a ms6

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I had an 03 6s and now have an 06 MS6. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, for sure. I am 6'5" 245 lbs and driving position is absolutely not an issue at all for me in the MS6. The TL driving position, from my drive was no better or worse. Personally, the TL was typical for a japaneese higher hp front driver. Like the Altima 3.5SE, it is a torque steer monster when you flog it. Not much power down low and a little gutless of the line by comparison to the MS6. Handling wise, into a corner, it plows like no tomorrow because it is so heavy despite being a FWD car. Not even in the same league performance wise as the MS6 is due to the AWD. It has a few more bells and wistles and a great Acura interior, but not worth the $35k price tag in my opinon. Not when I got my MS6 for almost $10k less due to discount and incentives.

·
Registered
176 Posts
So, he doesn't like the MS6 and especially doesn't like the clutch. Some people just have no taste.
:punch:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
A lot of MS6 owners have previously owned a 6. That's why they don't complain about the car. As for the ones who own 6's and complain about the MS6, I can't see how that's possible without absent some jealousy. I have both cars. [/b]
I have a 2006 6s Sport model. I briefly considered the MS6 but went with the 6s for several reasons:
I wanted a tame, sane daily driver car that would be comfortable, as pleasant as possible to drive in traffic, reasonably economical and reliable.
The Speed6 is a driver's car, no doubt about it. But, it's a high-strung turbo 4cyl, manual gearbox (NOT fun in traffic), drinks premium fuel, and like any performance car invites you to take advantage of it. While it would have been a hoot to drive on those nice days, the rest of the time I would have spent wishing I had the more docile V6/ATX car.
That's not in any way a knock against the Speed6, I drove one and it's a great car......more so than I would have imagined. I seriously considered it for a while. If I didn't already have a tempermental performance car in the garage I would have probably gone with the Speed6, but practicality (sucks to get older) won out.
That having been said, I'm quite happy with the 6s. I realize it's not the performer that the Speed6 is but its what I needed in a car.
If I could afford to have 3 cars I'd probably buy the Speed6 just for those "nice" days...... :love:

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have a 2006 6s Sport model. I briefly considered the MS6 but went with the 6s for several reasons:
I wanted a tame, sane daily driver car that would be comfortable, as pleasant as possible to drive in traffic, reasonably economical and reliable.
The Speed6 is a driver's car, no doubt about it. But, it's a high-strung turbo 4cyl, manual gearbox (NOT fun in traffic), drinks premium fuel, and like any performance car invites you to take advantage of it. While it would have been a hoot to drive on those nice days, the rest of the time I would have spent wishing I had the more docile V6/ATX car.
That's not in any way a knock against the Speed6, I drove one and it's a great car......more so than I would have imagined. I seriously considered it for a while. If I didn't already have a tempermental performance car in the garage I would have probably gone with the Speed6, but practicality (sucks to get older) won out.
That having been said, I'm quite happy with the 6s. I realize it's not the performer that the Speed6 is but its what I needed in a car.
If I could afford to have 3 cars I'd probably buy the Speed6 just for those "nice" days...... :love:
[/b]
Well stated. :yesnod:

·
Registered
59 Posts

[/quote

WHO CARES !!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts