Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a Black MazdaSpeed6 from my friendly (he wants me to buy it) dealer , and I’ve got to tell you that it fits a nice niche market. With an out the door price (I like creature comfort options) of $36,000, you get a really nice car . . . as long as you don’t fixate on what you can get in that price range give or take $3K.

I live in Las Vegas, so a test drive for me includes scenic driving vistas with names like Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire. The first thing I noticed driving on I15 N. is that Mazda seems to have paid better attention to sound insulation; it’s quieter than my current 6. It also gives a sense of being a much heavier car.

Test Drive: Taking rolling starts, with peddle to the metal intensions brings you to immediate attention when the RPM’s hit 3,500 . . . this SOB pulls hard to just under 6,000 rpm. I’ve read a number of reviews commenting on the loss of acceleration after 6K rpm, and I was sad to say that it’s a very real “thing” that you feel in the seat of your pants. Based on some forum contributors this car can do low 14’s straight from the dealer. One can only wonder what trap times you could get if usable torque and HP was extended to 6,600 rpm. I’m sure the aftermarket will jump on this and we’ll see something like a fuel-rail and secondary injectors at SEMA (living in Las Vegas has its perks) later this year.

The car was effortless to 120 mph, and the speed range between 30 – 80 mph could be negotiated rapidly without a fuss. Sweeping undulations of two-lane desert road at 90 mph really tested the suspension and grip, but never gave you the feeling that you were testing the limits of this car. On dirt roads I had to keep reminding myself that I didn’t own this car, and I really needed to return it without stone chips to the paint but it was the best place to feel the AWD . . . I’m impressed!

As much as I like this car, and there is a lot to like, I can’t bring myself to pull the trigger on the deal. I own a loaded Pebble Ash 6 wagon. What I like about it is the room; I like to travel with a lot of stuff. It’s the spirited family car, my wife’s car is an Audi A4 (ATX) 1.8T, when we hit one of our many road trips to LA, San Francisco, Mexico, . . . you get the picture . . . I like the 6 for its comfort, look, and the practicality that it affords. Until a can rationalize an Audi A6 wagon that I can park on the streets in LA, splurge on select after-market parts, and still afford to pay for a weekend at Disneyland, the Mazda6 wagon is King in my world.

What does Mazda need to do to make me happy in this sweet spot niche . . . build a turbo AWD wagon.

Hey Mazda . . . if you have your marketing people reading the forums then you need to recognize that this would be a winner . . . at the very least, it will make me happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Damn you have will power and I have o say that speed looks good with a desert background!!! AWD wagon would be great but there are some out there like the WRX wagon.. And if you drive both of those they are very different from each other. So if Mazda did a wagon up AWD I think it would lose some of it's appeal. I love the WRX but the wagon hmmmdoes nothing for me,...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Rumors are that there is a $2000 rebate on MS6. Ask around and see if somebody can get you an S-plan PIN. Put the two together and I think you'll find the MS6 to be very affordable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mazda has matured the sport wagon offering with the 6 wagon. It recognized a segment that is very popular overseas and in Canada that don’t want a SUV because of the numb drive feel. It has the potential to take the Audi Avant (the most successful model in this segment) concept to a broader market by making a spirited, drive happy adult cross-over that mixes style with function at a (every 3-4 years) disposable price point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good review...really gotta tke the ride next time i'm at the dealer....car seems to good that i'm affraid i might not wanna get out once i've driven the car...gotta admit i do love my 6 though....

the car comes with tint from the dealer?just curious?
[/b]
Hey!? . . . I said I live in Las Vegas. The dealers have to give you a "Vegas tint package" when they sell you a black car. I moved here from Philly in 02' and my wake-up call in April was temp's of 100F + for 2 weeks. And that was mild . . . in July and August you go to 110+ for almost a month, and do not believe the "dry heat" BS . . . it is hot as hell!

Survival means:
-Windshield and rear window reflectors
-Making sure that your driver door handle are not facing South during the day
-You have to leave your windows cracked
-And if you have ever watched the Discovery Channel and seen Elephants comically huddling under a spindly Akasha tree, you will laugh at what Las Vegans call "car shade."

Faint of heart don't buy dark colored cars here without a "Vegas Package."

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Hey!? . . . I said I live in Las Vegas. The dealers have to give you a "Vegas tint package" when they sell you a black car. I moved here from Philly in 02' and my wake-up call in April was temp's of 100F + for 2 weeks. And that was mild . . . in July and August you go to 110+ for almost a month, and do not believe the "dry heat" BS . . . it is hot as hell!

Survival means:
-And if you have ever watched the Discovery Channel and seen Elephants comically huddling under a spindly Akasha tree, you will laugh at what Las Vegans call "car shade."

[/b]

not parking your car facing the South during the day....THAT IS FUCKING CRAZYYYY!!!!! man you probably miss phily...but not to get off topic just wanted to make sure

would you buy the speed6 if...you were going to get maybe the S-Plan dont know if your familiar with it...but its tech suppose to be at invoice price, dont know what the invoice/msrp was on the black 6 you drove....but would you get the car with the S-PLAN, and if you had a good trade in value for your car, and pretend that driving long distance without alot of crap wasn't your plan...good buy? Thanx, and i'll be in Vegas next year for my friends Bachelor Party if all works out ;)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

Survival means:

[/b]
lol. This set of tips was was hilarious. I especially like the comment, "in July and August you go to 110+ for almost a month, and do not believe the "dry heat" BS . . . it is hot as hell!" because people always say that to me about Vegas. :D

Honestly, I was gonna get black but it disn't stand out enough from the regular 6. Plus I had a black car a few years and I never owned red so i jumped on Velocity Red Mica because there is something about the color that just grabbed me.

Is the windshield tinted also?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not parking your car facing the South during the day....THAT IS FUCKING CRAZYYYY!!!!! man you probably miss phily...but not to get off topic just wanted to make sure

would you buy the speed6 if...you were going to get maybe the S-Plan dont know if your familiar with it...but its tech suppose to be at invoice price, dont know what the invoice/msrp was on the black 6 you drove....but would you get the car with the S-PLAN, and if you had a good trade in value for your car, and pretend that driving long distance without alot of crap wasn't your plan...good buy? Thanx, and i'll be in Vegas next year for my friends Bachelor Party if all works out ;)
[/b]
Although I like the Mazdaspeed6 I think I’ll pass on the trade-in for now. What I like, what I need is the wagon. The Speed does not have a fold down rear seat . . . I want/need the room . . . and I am really dubious about buying a first year car and ending up with the shake-out problems that are inevitable.

Also, on my test drive on loose dirt I detected (you can feel it) a dominant torque bias to the front wheels (Mazda says the maximum bias split is 50/50). It might be something that you can get used to, but it is not the type of spirited handling that I am used to. Unless Mazda comes out with a turbo AWD drive wagon I’ll have to pass, unless I buy the Speed as a project car to trick; as a project car it should be purchased from the dealer as a used car to minimize the depreciation hit. In a year the aftermarket network will figure out how to fix the issues that Mazda/Ford could not cost effectively address.

BTW, I test drove a (please don’t loose your lunch) 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (340hp at $35,000) AWD . . . it is a ponderous beast that requires you to setup carefully before entering tight high-speed turns because (seat of your pants) when this Mutha’ starts to slide, coming off the throttle or modulating the peddle feel for the correct speed just makes you feel that you will have to hang tight until it corrects itself. I will tell you that once you get through the corner and put peddle to metal to takes off like a rat with track spikes on carpet. But, it does not feel as nimble or give you the driver’s vision of the 6.

My 04’ 6 wagon is at 39,000 miles and I feel like I have to make a decision that is trade-in or keep it past warrantee and lease another car, I hate the mileage limits on leases so if I go this route I’ll need the wagon as my daily driver. It is currently stock with the exception of 225-45 17 Kumho ECSTA SPT tires (absolutely wonderful tire regardless of the price . . . 6 owners should check out its test results on tirerack.com). If I keep it, I am changing the suspension, installing an oil cooler, and taking a hard look at how to I ad 30hp . . . this is what it is missing.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
sorry no AWD turboed m6 wagon that's for sure

unless it's custom

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
.... The first thing I noticed driving on I15 N. is that Mazda seems to have paid better attention to sound insulation; it’s quieter than my current 6. It also gives a sense of being a much heavier car.

[/b]
Is it 'cause ur current 6 is a wagon, which has an open box behind the rear seat that acts as an amplifier of road noises produced by the rear tires??

·
Registered
288 Posts
So was the Speed6 limited to 120mph like the 6s? As much as I like the Speed6 it's too rich for my blood :(

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
So was the Speed6 limited to 120mph like the 6s? As much as I like the Speed6 it's too rich for my blood :(
[/b]
DEFINATELY not ;)

·
Registered
922 Posts
the drop in power after 6K may be due to the WGA... i know the SRT-4's were having the same problem with the stock actuator... no matter how much boost they were running it would drop to around 11psi after a certain rpm...

so of couse someone came up with an aftermarket WGA and shazaam now the psi hold to redline much better..

someone look into the, it may be the issue.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
[/b]
Mazdaspeed is governor limited to 150mph. Drag limit is unknown. :D

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am right there with you on the turbo AWD wagon. I would trade in my wagon on that in a heartbeat, and yes I did look at the Legacy GT wagon but the looks were just to bland, the 6 wagon is one of the best looking wagons out there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I test drove a Black MazdaSpeed6 from my friendly (he wants me to buy it) dealer , and I’ve got to tell you that it fits a nice niche market. With an out the door price (I like creature comfort options) of $36,000, you get a really nice car . . . as long as you don’t fixate on what you can get in that price range give or take $3K.

I live in Las Vegas, so a test drive for me includes scenic driving vistas with names like Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire. The first thing I noticed driving on I15 N. is that Mazda seems to have paid better attention to sound insulation; it’s quieter than my current 6. It also gives a sense of being a much heavier car.

Test Drive: Taking rolling starts, with peddle to the metal intensions brings you to immediate attention when the RPM’s hit 3,500 . . . this SOB pulls hard to just under 6,000 rpm. I’ve read a number of reviews commenting on the loss of acceleration after 6K rpm, and I was sad to say that it’s a very real “thing” that you feel in the seat of your pants. Based on some forum contributors this car can do low 14’s straight from the dealer. One can only wonder what trap times you could get if usable torque and HP was extended to 6,600 rpm. I’m sure the aftermarket will jump on this and we’ll see something like a fuel-rail and secondary injectors at SEMA (living in Las Vegas has its perks) later this year.

The car was effortless to 120 mph, and the speed range between 30 – 80 mph could be negotiated rapidly without a fuss. Sweeping undulations of two-lane desert road at 90 mph really tested the suspension and grip, but never gave you the feeling that you were testing the limits of this car. On dirt roads I had to keep reminding myself that I didn’t own this car, and I really needed to return it without stone chips to the paint but it was the best place to feel the AWD . . . I’m impressed!

As much as I like this car, and there is a lot to like, I can’t bring myself to pull the trigger on the deal. I own a loaded Pebble Ash 6 wagon. What I like about it is the room; I like to travel with a lot of stuff. It’s the spirited family car, my wife’s car is an Audi A4 (ATX) 1.8T, when we hit one of our many road trips to LA, San Francisco, Mexico, . . . you get the picture . . . I like the 6 for its comfort, look, and the practicality that it affords. Until a can rationalize an Audi A6 wagon that I can park on the streets in LA, splurge on select after-market parts, and still afford to pay for a weekend at Disneyland, the Mazda6 wagon is King in my world.

What does Mazda need to do to make me happy in this sweet spot niche . . . build a turbo AWD wagon.

Hey Mazda . . . if you have your marketing people reading the forums then you need to recognize that this would be a winner . . . at the very least, it will make me happy.
[/quote>

Only 36,000. Shit my dealer said that they are selling them for 36,000 base price.

·
Registered
382 Posts
hey, did it have chrome wheels too??? good luck on whatever you decide to do! i sure as hell want one after i overnight test drove it!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Rumors are that there is a $2000 rebate on MS6. Ask around and see if somebody can get you an S-plan PIN. Put the two together and I think you'll find the MS6 to be very affordable.
[/b]
from www.mazdausa.com:

SPECIAL PURCHASE
2006 MODELS
2006 MAZDA6 Sports Sedan, 5-Door
and Sport Wagon
Up to $2,500 Customer Cash (1)(2)
2006 RX-8
Up to $1,500 Customer Cash (1)(2)
2006 MPV
Up to $3,000 Customer Cash (1)(2)
2006 Tribute
Up to $1,500 Customer Cash (1)(2)
2006 B-Series
Up to $2,000 Customer Cash (1)(2)
SEE DEALER FOR COMPLETE DETAILS ON GREAT LEASE OFFERS
(1) Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by May 31, 2006. See dealer for complete details.
(2) Includes manufacturer�s customer cash plus $500 MAC bonus cash to qualified buyers when financed through Mazda American Credit. Manufacturer�s customer cash of $2,000 on all �06 MAZDA6 (Excludes MAZDASPEED6); $1,000 on all �06 RX-8 and all �06 Tribute; $2,500 on all �06 MPV; $1,500 on all �06 B-Series.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
15 Participants
mbd_int
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing