Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a Mazda6i Automatic for a short spin yesterday. The car didnt feel that bad acceleration and power wise, considering it had the automatic transmission. I left my name with the sales manager to give me a call when they got a 2.3L 5-speed. I really want to test drive both the 5-speed Manual 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder models.

However, I do believe that we (DuratecPerformance) will be purchasing a Mazda6i 5-speed to use as our product development car. This way we can release products for the vehicle very quickly. Now we will just have to find a V6 owner in Southern California willing to help us out for that engine, in exhchange for free performance parts.

Nikolas

·
Registered
35 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Test drove a Mazda6i Automatic'

I agreed. I test drove both 6i and 6s automatic yesterday, and feel the 6i has pretty good power. Of course, the 6s gives more punch, but the 6i seems more nimble for some reason.

Both are good car. I think it will be worth the wait for hatchback.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The 6i feels nimble compared to the 6s because it has about 100lbs less weight over the front wheels, so the weight distribution is better. You will have less understeer with the 4 cylinder model. for those people that like to take their car on the twisty mountain roads, the 4 cylinder is the one to go with. If you like straight line acceleration and raw power, go with the 6 cylinder..

Nikolas

·
Registered
70 Posts

tcwong.
Could you give me your impressions of the 5 speed automatic v6? how was the tiptronic feature, were the shifts fast and precise? How did the power feal, what other cars can you compare it to. I will test drive the car in a month or so, i just wanted to get some feed back first.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Okay, so

1. What is the actual weight distibution of the 6i and the 6s?
2. I know there will be handling differences between the i and the s, but how much? Enough to be noticible on a daily basis?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

When pushed hard, you will notice the difference between the two. Even though the weight distribution on the V6 is 60/40 and the I4 is closer to 55/45....they handle more to neutral than anything. However, speaking with the Mazda reps at SEMA, they said the I4, when pushed, will actually exhibit some very mild oversteer...which is more along a RWD sports car characteristic..... much more fun to drive.

UNDERSTEER SUCKS... heheheheh...

Nikolas

·
Registered
35 Posts

Me,

I haven't driven the new altima or the new accord V6, so it's hard to compare the 6s with other cars in the same class. The engine does roar at more than 4k RPM, good engine sound. The V6 is smooth and the torque distribution is pretty even from low to high RPM.

The tiptronic has a slight delay during upshift. I would say about half second delay on upshift. Downshift is a lot quicker. I don't notice much delay during downshift. The braking system is good, especially combining with downshifting. The car stops quick.

I really cannot compare it with other V6s because I don't drive V6 often. The last V6 I drove was the Nissan Maxima. It's very comparable to it.

·
Registered
70 Posts

thanx tc, thats what i wanted to know
on a side note what year maxima was it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts