Mazda 6 Forums banner

Test Drove 2018 Signature

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  1BlinkGone 
#1 ·
Yesterday I test drove a 2018 M6 Signature after lurking for a long time. I test drove a 2015 and hadn’t pulled the trigger then, after seeing the refresh for 2018 I was somewhat disappointed until I saw it in person at the 2018 Chicago Auto Show. Well I finally stopped by the dealer to drive one and I must say I was really surprised. You can watch and read all the reviews and think you know what the car is like but it feels really good in person, love the handling, steering and braking. The turbo was also impressive, relatively quick off the line, excellent passing power but you can also drive it civilly. I thought I was sold on the chestnut interior but the one I drove was parchment and I really like that a lot more. Looking to order one in February of 2019. What an excellent car, and thanks for allowing me in the forums and offering my opinion.

#3 ·
I like how the drive train is carefully tuned for when it comes to any form of daily driving.

0-60 and quarter mile times mean nothing to the average driver. It's all about torque, how quickly and linearly that torque is delivered, and how well the transmission is tuned to take advantage of what you are given. effective torque from low-rpm is exactly what makes passing cars and maneuvering through slower traffic simple and efficient.

#7 ·
Motor Trend measured 15 flat at 93.4 MPH. Octane used wasn't mentioned. Click me!

I'm thinking with grippier tires, low 14's shouldn't be a problem, if you can put the power down correctly.

#8 ·
Motortrend:91 octane
Car and driver :87octane.
Nobody(motortrend car and driver,motorweek...) test this car with 93-94octane there is a significant difference but people don't know that.
With 94 octane(petro canada) i did 50mph to 70mph in 3.8s car and driver 87octane 50-70mph in 4.2s

#10 ·
@Motorsnwheels Glad you got to test drive it! That's why we're all here. Mazda is incredibly proficient at creating exciting cars to drive, and I will continue to love them as long as they continue to do that :)

#12 ·
I'm 7500 miles into my 2018 6 GT. I love it. It does everything well. Yes I would have bought a manual trans but they did a great job with the auto logic.
The engine is a torquer. Not much point in revving it out other than sound, full torque seems to be at 2000 rpm. I have yet to see a hp/torque curve but I suspect that will verify that revving it out is not necessary. Highway driving is quiet and the gearing is perfect to allow zippy passes without a downshift. Engine is quieter than the non turbo 2.5 due to lower compression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.