Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd share my thoughts following a test drive of a Speed6 today.

Unfortunately, I'm sorry to say that I couldn't have been less impressed with the performance of this particular car. The car must have had bad gas or been experiencing the power loss problems people on here refer to time and again. There was a kick in the pants at about 4k, but after that the car had nothing. Not at all the experience I've heard from others. Granted, I drive an RX-8, but I was expecting more. I know they are two different animals, but I've heard so many good things about the Speed6 that I couldn't help feel dissappointed. To top it off the sales guy was a total dipshit. I love educating salesman about their own product. Happens every single time I go to a dealership.

·
Registered
566 Posts
That sucks! And yeah, sounds exactly like the power loss-just starts to pull and then, zip... Is there another dealer/better salesman in the area?

·
Registered
358 Posts
DEFINATELY bad gas/powerloss.

I experienced the same thing during my test drive, and during my first week of ownership. I got my ECU reflashed and the problem is gone.

Of course I'm sure asking your dealership to drive a reflashed one or one with 93+ octane would just result in blank stares.

My saleswoman was a total dunce as well. Didn't really matter to me, I knew everything about the car before I even went to the dealership, sales staff are just there to do paperwork as far as I'm concerned.

Besides the power (or lack thereof) what did you think of the rest of the car? Handling/braking/interior/etc.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I did not experience the power loss problems with my test drive, that came later.

I cross-shopped the RX-8 and the Speed 6, in fact I actually went in with the intent of going home in an RX-8. Unfortunately, this little thing called torque got ahold of me and it was all over for the 8. I really liked the 8 and I love the way it handles, but it's hard to argue with the kick in the pants a fully functioning Speed 6 gives, on the order of twice the torque of an 8 at significantly lower rpm.

All that said, nothing sounds sweeter than a rotary at 9-grand, you really can't go wrong with either car.

For the record, my salesman was pretty cool and worked with me to make me happy. This is the 22nd car deal in 17 years I've closed on and this guy ranked near the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts