Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had driven a speed 6 before when my mom was looking for a car and drove an rx8. we then drove a speed 6 abck from the warehouse. i drove it and like it a LOT. seemed VERY torquey. but it was all on local streets so the 2 mile drive was otherwise uneventful. today, i went to drive one in a more purpose felt way. again, very torquey around the local streets. BUT, then i start to accelerate on the highway, and there was NOTHING in 4th 5th and 6th gear! i mean, i was SHOCKED. the car simply refused to accelerate at speeds over 70 mph!! i did not know what to say. it seems that there was simply no boost available when the car was at higher speeds. the other thing, there seemed to be a dropoff on the torque curve at about 4000-4500 rpm. FAR short of redline. the car seemed to have a VERY narrow torque band from about 2000 rpm to about 4000 rpm. what a TOTAL disappointment. especially after the way it spoils you in the midrange in gears 1 and 2. not sure what to think. i was pretty well set on getting one considering the voerall quality of the car and the feature richness of it AND the deeeeeeeep discounts available. now, i think i might have to pass.

p.s.
there was no ecu flash update sticker on the driver's door, so that may be part of the culprit, but i cannot imagine that there would be a fix that changes the character of the car as dramatically as what i experienced ...

thoughts anyone?
the Subary legacy i drove right afterwards seemed to pull MUCH harder throughout the higher rpm and certainlly keept going to past 100 mph with authority!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
i had driven a speed 6 before when my mom was looking for a car and drove an rx8. we then drove a speed 6 abck from the warehouse. i drove it and like it a LOT. seemed VERY torquey. but it was all on local streets so the 2 mile drive was otherwise uneventful. today, i went to drive one in a more purpose felt way. again, very torquey around the local streets. BUT, then i start to accelerate on the highway, and there was NOTHING in 4th 5th and 6th gear! i mean, i was SHOCKED. the car simply refused to accelerate at speeds over 70 mph!! i did not know what to say. it seems that there was simply no boost available when the car was at higher speeds. the other thing, there seemed to be a dropoff on the torque curve at about 4000-4500 rpm. FAR short of redline. the car seemed to have a VERY narrow torque band from about 2000 rpm to about 4000 rpm. what a TOTAL disappointment. especially after the way it spoils you in the midrange in gears 1 and 2. not sure what to think. i was pretty well set on getting one considering the voerall quality of the car and the feature richness of it AND the deeeeeeeep discounts available. now, i think i might have to pass.

p.s.
there was no ecu flash update sticker on the driver's door, so that may be part of the culprit, but i cannot imagine that there would be a fix that changes the character of the car as dramatically as what i experienced ...

thoughts anyone?
the Subary legacy i drove right afterwards seemed to pull MUCH harder throughout the higher rpm and certainlly keept going to past 100 mph with authority!!
[/b]
No big mystery there, it needs the reflash done, .

·
Registered
661 Posts
powerloss - take it back to the dealer and have them reflash it.

Oh wait, that was the dealer - dumbasses.

Go to another dealer and test drive another one.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Max torque will be before 4500. So yeah there is a drop off. That's when it starts to cut boost to 13psi to make max power by 5700. However, what you are talking about seems more like the reflash needs to be done. If the car felt like a regular 4 cylinder without turbo then you had the powerloss.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah..that's what makes selling this thing tough...
All I can say is that I have no problem accelerating
from 70-100 in fourth , fifth, or sixth gear.

I will agree that this thing feels much quicker 0-60 than 60-100,
but feeling power drop off at 4000 is just not right, as I'm sure
you have read 10,000 times by now.

don't believe the anti-hype :yesnod:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if that is the case, can someone (and i know i have read plenty of reflash posts) tell me what the car is like with the reflash at higher rpm? it really pulled like a MOFO to about 4k-4500, but then it pretty much did very little above that in any gear, and acceleration from ~60+ to any higher speed was VARY slow! i so want to get this car, and as i said, the deals are amazing on his car, heck ... ALMOST good enough if it just had a plain 4 cyl ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
if that is the case, can someone (and i know i have read plenty of reflash posts) tell me what the car is like with the reflash at higher rpm? it really pulled like a MOFO to about 4k-4500, but then it pretty much did very little above that in any gear, and acceleration from ~60+ to any higher speed was VARY slow! i so want to get this car, and as i said, the deals are amazing on his car, heck ... ALMOST good enough if it just had a plain 4 cyl ;)
[/b]
Out on the highway at 80 MPH in 6th gear there is NO need to downshift, plenty of power in 6th and 100 MPH+ comes up very quick with more throttle throttle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Typically it pulls well to about 5700, and then falls off the map...
the reflash is supposed to give a couple hundred more rpms of usable
power band, but not really adding raceworthy power to the vehicle above 6000.
easiest suggestion is to say try another dealer, or believe in the ~14.0 time slips that say this car can move. (not to brag about the 13.7 slips out there, but thats really moving for a four door without a 2 foot spoiler)

what else can anyone here say, we bought em, we like em.
people have posted legit reasons for the power loss (which is now fixable)
legit time slips on very lightly modded cars that compare well with any performance car on the road.
just choose a color and enjoy it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
its not an rx8.....dont try to rev it up to get power...no need

·
Registered
440 Posts
its not an rx8.....dont try to rev it up to get power...no need
[/b]
I'm not sure what will yield the fastest 1/4 miles times with this car as far as shift points, but I usually start with the 10% over the power peak and adjust from there if I don't know the car, so the redline certainly looks to be too far to be reving for best speed unless it falls too low into the powerband for the next shift.

I'll have to look closer where the tach drops in each gear on this car.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The only time mine felt sluggish at highway speeds is when the powerloss had kicked in.

Since the reflash, it hasn't happened.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only time mine felt sluggish at highway speeds is when the powerloss had kicked in.

Since the reflash, it hasn't happened.
[/b]

it seems that the consensus is that the car i drove today had the "powerloss" issue that mazda fixed with an exu reflash most recently last month ... right?

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you read the power loss threads, the computer drops maximum throttle to 1/3 excursion (electronic throttle). So it's like there's a brick behind the throttle only letting you push it down a little way, even floored. That means that it accelerates decently to 4000, then drops to nothing and yeah, accelerating to 100 takes a while. With the power restored (don't even need a reflash to test it out, put in 93 octane gas and restart, problem'll be gone) it'll do 60-100 in about 6 seconds, just a hair more if you leave in in 6th gear!

·
Registered
358 Posts
This is EXACTLY what I experienced during my test drive. Luckily I knew all about powerloss beforehand and I bought the car anyways. Used up the tank of crap that the dealer put in, fill it with 94, and it's a completely different car.

Although I must say, I still almost CONSTANTLY experience powerloss. I just disconnected my battery to reset the ECU, if that doesn't work, I may have to think about getting the reflash. I've just heard such mixed opinions on it, even my tech recommended I don't get it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Turning off the engine for 30 seconds was enough to cure the powerloss for me.

Odd thing is, I didn't experience the powerloss until after my first trip back to the dealer, when I took it in for the coolant leak. I'd gone about 4 miles and the power cut out.

I had it 3 more times, then I had the reflash.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Buy the ugly Subaru, so you can look like everyone else. I love my MS6 and am very happy I didn't get the ugly specB.
[/b]
If I was buying a Legacy GT I wouldnt buy the spec B (unless its the new 07 model!) the price difference in the 05-06 is not worth the gross looking seats and the slightly better bilstien suspension that makis it handle almost as good as the MS6...you will end up changing the suspension anyway in the Spec B

1 - 20 of 21 Posts