Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. im having problem bout my temp. gauge. its little high above the middle(See Pic) that it supposed to be,. but it doesn't move. i been driving for a while and its been like that. i daily check coolant fluid level and its all good. fans working. id got CEL, and its o2 sensor.

i did research and cant find anything related. (my search might be not good enough)

Does anyone experience problem like this?.
Is it still safe to drive? lil long drive (i drive like 130+ miles a day)

Thank you in advance!..

(View from Drivers Seat)

I Drive a 2004 Mazda 6 s, V6 Engine, ATX with 72k on it.

Thank You all!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
you might have cooling problem... check your coolant to see any leak /thermostat..etc
Bring it to the dealer if you have warranty or to amechanic and have them check it out for you....
i wouldn't drive it if i was you...

·
Administrator
8,418 Posts
Does the gauge move at all? If it's not moving from C to the operating range when you first start it in the AM, the needle itself or the sensor may be the culprit.

How long has the CEL been on? Have you checked it out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you very much block8head

I checked the coolant daily and hoses and under the car for any leak. but didnt find anything.

Thank you very much Mz6GreyGhost

Yes, gauge moves from C to operating range and it goes till the level in the pic when you start in the AM. but after that it doesn't go higher on that.

The CEL has been there for a while, id got it Diagnosis when it shows up and mechanic says its o2 Sensor.

In your opinion is it still safe to drive? ( i drive like 130+ miles/day)
Is this a serious problem?

Thanks Again

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Yup, that looks like it's running hot. Sounds like you have a circulation issue. When was the last time you changed your coolant? Maybe it's time for a flush.

·
Registered
11 Posts
start with a coolant flush and a new thermostat. i would say that the thermostat is not opening all the way. that is why it gets to the point that it is and goes no higher.

·
Administrator
8,418 Posts
Yup, that looks like it's running hot. Sounds like you have a circulation issue. When was the last time you changed your coolant? Maybe it's time for a flush.
start with a coolant flush and a new thermostat. i would say that the thermostat is not opening all the way. that is why it gets to the point that it is and goes no higher.
+1 to both. :yesnod:

As for driving, it's still drivable, but FAR from recommended. Get the flush and a new thermostat, and take care of the o2 sensor while you're at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info

Update:

Just went to mechanic and did coolant flush and replace the thermostat as well this morning 5/29

he checked the gauge and its still high above the middle

i asked the mechanic and he said he cant find anything wrong bout my cooling system. fans working & eveything is fine. he told me maybe its the weather condition and its affect the car. (i dont know but i dont feel good on what he told me) he also told me to monitor the gauge as well..

he also gave me a free scan on my CEL and he find its not o2 sensor, its MAF(Mass Air Flow) sensor. the first mechanic i went said its o2sensor and my new mechanic says hes wrong on that. lol

- Would it be the MAF sensor causing this Temperature problem?
- What do you guys think is wrong on my cooling system?

(Car is 2004 Mazda 6 s V6 ATX)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
For your gauge to show hot when running at-speed, that narrows-down a couple of things....

I think the first thing you need to do is check the physical temp of the water/coolant itself after reaching operating temp. You may simply have nothing more than a bad temp sending unit. When the car is up to temp - stopped - and showing too hot on the gauge, is the primary fan on? If not, the sending unit may be bad and causing the gauge to read high, but the fan control sensor is seeing that the engine is truly not overly hot.

Do you have access to a high-temp/cooling system thermometer? Or something like a Craftsman multi-tool with the thermo sensor that you can place into the coolant overflow tank after reaching temp? (don't be fooled by a remote screw-cap- still be careful when taking it off hot)

Orrrrrr.... just find someone with ScanGauge- Here's the deal: the temp gauge on your dash reads from the temperature sending unit. However, the ECU gets its reading from a temperature sensor. If the ScanGauge display show a normal temp, that almost certainly means the temp sending unit is bad and causing your gauge to read high.

On the MAF senor, stop at Auto-Zone and pick-up some MAF cleaner; it may simply be dirty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts