Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the 1st gen 6 and would like to know how far does your temp needle go. Mine is an 06 V6 and it goes to about 3/4 the way up then stops there. It still in the "normal" range of course but just would like to this is the same for any other cars out there.

I'm also having an issue with my fuel gauge. It started out fine but now when I fill up it only shows about 3/4 full. Then I take it all the way down to the E and the idiot light doesn't come on. I really think its the float in the tank is messed up because when i'm on E and I fill up it only holds 14 gallons not 18. Anyone ever had an issue with this?

Thanks
Jacob

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
The temp gauge can be different in each car - how hot is your engine actually getting? The V6 has a very warm engine bay as it is, but is it VERY VERY warm or feel pretty normal? Are your coolant levels staying the same?

As for the gas tank, although it claims to hold 18 gal, you'll NEVER get that many in it. The most I ever got was about 15.

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
My needle doesnt go above 1/2.

There may be an issue with the sending unit in regards to it not going above 3/4 full. The idiot light might not be getting triggered due to readings being out. Have you had the gauge read right on E basically? Mine comes on at around 1/8 tank or just a little less than that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I have added a mechanical gauge in my car. The factory gauge normally points just over 1/2 way while the actual temperature reads just over 190deg.

CR

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks. I'll probably take a look at the sending unit and maybe just replace everything. As far as the temp, I'll have to look into it more. There is just something comforting about that temp needle being at the half way mark.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Rock steady right there! OBDII Reports 195F hardly moves once warm 200F after heat soaked in traffic jamb.

Also, my light comes on at 16 gallons from full ~ 340 miles 06s. Most ever pumped in = 17.5! Sounds like you have issues behind the dash!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Can I thread derail??? Think B$tch Fest!!!
Top half of tank = 220miles from full to 1/2.
Bottom half of tank = 1/2 to light on 120 miles! Who the hell designed that? And with modern electronics, you'd think they could scale a tapered funnel!!
-- and hell maybe use a 19 cent ROM IC to keep the stereo pres-sets!! lol

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
You might want to consider pulling the gauge cluster and re-aligning the needles. If you take off the black plastic trim piece (on top of the gauge face) you will see small white alignment marks for each gauge. The stem that the needles are pressed on to only have a limited range of motion, so if you push the needle in the other direction until it stops, then push further, it will move it's alignment relative to the stem, and then you can line it up to the marks in the same way... if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
^^ If no one has been there before I think that would be a bad idea!!! And it does not explain the gas gauge light. Get thermometer on the radiator hoses and/or a ODB reader and see what the temp is the engine is reporting. Don't want to fry an engine cause the gauge was in error. Nothing personal mind you.. .. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rock steady right there! OBDII Reports 195F hardly moves once warm 200F after heat soaked in traffic jamb.

Also, my light comes on at 16 gallons from full ~ 340 miles 06s. Most ever pumped in = 17.5! Sounds like you have issues behind the dash!
Thats actually great information. I will put my scanner on and see if im greater than 195F then I have a heat/coolant issue, if not probably a gauge or sending unit problem.

Issues behind the dash scares me!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
From 9999-95-063B-04 2004 Mazda6 sport sedan workshop manual

=============================
Page 921 /Section: 01-40B-28

ECT Sensor Resistance AJ 6 Cyl:

@68F 2.20k - 2.60k ohms
@176F 0.29k - 0.40k ohms

Voltage: Pg 900, 01-40B-8 Table of all inputs GOOD INFO**
@68F 2.9 - 3.1V -> PCM Terminal 39
@176 0.2 - 1.0V

=============================

Look on the right:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I got the motor hot as it could and the needle was in the 3/4 range. The scan said it was 185f which is fine. So I either have a sending unit problem or a gauge problem. Any ideals?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
There is just one sender for temp and dash display; but it sounds like your dash is at fault not the engine temp. But just to be sure do some simple tests: Compare Radiator hose temps. I grab stuff when its hot so I know how hot it feels. Compare yours to another car. How hot is the heater blowing? Doe the vent temp when set to MAX seem hotter than it should? A/C tech guys have little cheapo themometers they stick in the dash. Good to know the for reference so when things like this happen you can tell. Also good know how cold your AC blows. If you know it can blow 34F and now it only blow 45F you may have lost refrigerant.

Example: lets say two months ago you saw the MAX temp blowing hot was 160F and now its 185. I'd be concerned.

These are like $5
TempGauge99007-2.jpg

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

About the same here, 15.5-16 gallons for the light to come on although since my mileage is almost all highway, it's usually 375-400 miles before it comes on. I have put 17.8 in a few times (can you say running on fumes?).

Given issues with the accuracy in 2 gauges, I would suspect some common issue and not the sending units.

Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok people, I don't know if anyone has the same problem I have/had but im going to tell you how I fixed it. The first was my temp gauge needle. When the car warmed up it would be in the 3/4 range up the scale. The second was the gas gauge only going up to the 3/4 full mark after I filled up.

Gas gauge..... Well I took the fuel pump assembly out and did a small test. I laid it down and pluged the wires back into it and manually moved the fuel float. I saw that when it was in the down position, the gas needle was damn near hitting the speedometer bezel, and when I put it all the way up it would only reach that 3/4 mark that stated above. So that told me either I have an actual gauge problem or a sending unit problem. I read how to do the instrument gauge self test and when the fuel gauge tested itself, again it would only go the that 3/4 mark. So that told me I had a needle placement problem and after a few attemps I was able to get it into a more correct spot. It might not be prefect but it is a hell of a lot better than it was. The real test will be when I fill up.

The temp gauge, I knew the car wasnt overheating when I put my OBDII on it and said 185F. So after I did the self test in the temp gauge and it would go WAY above the H, but when the key was off the needle would come down and stop just in front of the C. So I adjusted that as well. I let it warm up with the scanned on it and made it up to 181F and the needle sat beautifully in the middle of the gauge.

So I don't know if these needles magically uncalibrated themselves or the knuckle head that own the car before me went in a changed them for some reason. My worry now is with the fuel pump. I have read about the engine starving for fuel when below 1/4 of a tank while making a turn or accelerating. Since my gas gauge was messed up, when I showed empty I of course filled up but I was actually at a 1/4 of a tank. So I will be running the gas down to see what happens.

Anyway thanks for all that replied and sorry this was so long. I just got a little excited when I figured this out.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
As I mentioned before, if you pull the black plastic bezel (with the chrome rings attached to it) from the gauges, there are small white markings on the gauge face for proper alignment of the needles. Glad you got that figured out. Judging by how tight mine fit on, I highly doubt they moved on their own.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Speaking of the Previous owner: is there any reason at all to remove the needles? Does it look like anyone was there before you?

I suppose it does explain why the light never came on cause it was never low! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really couldn't tell if he was in there before. As far as the white tabs, I really didn't see them. Seems to work with whatever I did so let's hope it stays that way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts