Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to install my TEIN basic coilover tomorrow and i was wondering if anyone has done this before got any tips or direction for proper install to make everything goes smoothly?

thanks a lot for the help!! :love:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
purchase new front endlinks.

and if the coils don't come preassemble, pick up two new strut hats/bumpstops/dust covers from the dealer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
No need for that stuff....the Teins come with dust covers and bumpstops. I suppose new mounts could be in order, but probably not.

The front is a basic install nothing special. The rear upper shock mounts can be a bit of a PITA, as they can only fit one way. Take your time and wiggle and jiggle them in/out. Also, remove the rear sway bar links at the bottom of the spring cups/arms. Much easier that way. Other than that, it's a straight forward install.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks... i have rear RB sway bars and endlinks so that might make the installation much longer...

Would it be easier to work everything on a lift? this kind of lift.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Everybody has an RSB and endlinks ;) No difference in install time beit OEM or aftermarket (unless to SOB's are rusted or seized)

A lift is nice to have for sure, but driveway jackstands are all thats really necessary.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright so i got the front installed. Was easy as pie. The rear did not get install because i didnt have enough time at the shop... Will get it in this Thursday.

I dropped the front to the lowest level and found out that it was too low for me and i couldnt get it off the lift!!!!! had to use some wood block to maneuver around it lol..

During the installation for the front, i discovered 1 minor problem:

Take a look a the picture below

Inside the red box is where the lower shock being held by the "V shape" fork. Well on my car, I COULD NOT get the "V shape" fork all the way up, only half way up because right behind the shock, there is a little nipple that stick out about 1-2mm. I thought it was a gas outlet from the shock, so i just tighten the fork below the nipple.

My question is should i move the fork up all the way pass the nipple, like in the picture? Will it damage the shock in any way? My car is an 03 and noticed on the coilovers said for 04+... not sure if theres a differences...

I was taking a pretty quick LEFT turn today and i heard a loud POP... so i slow down and went to take a look at the front driver coilover and to my surprise, the "V shape" fork move all the way up.. i guess it broke the nipple in the back of the shock.. On the left side, it still half way below the nipple.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
yes they fit, i've had mine on for about 4 years now i think.

the key with that little nipple as you call it, is to rotate the shock body before tightening so that it alignes with the cup it fits into. it's hard to do since you typically tighten the perch on outside the car, but i found that marking it so i had an idea of where it should align, put me withing a 1/4", so i just twisted the shock body a bit and it slid in.

hope that made a bit of sense.

my shocks are coming out first of next month for a custom revalve, so we'll see how these work at that point. but for street driving, i really liked these, they did more than enough for me.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey *ICE*, I am buying new suspension stuff relatively shortly. I too have an '03 Mazda6s SEDAN. Do the TEIN Basic Coilovers (the one's for $800) fit our year? Also, did you get everything up and running ok? IS there any better handeling?

Thanks ahead of time![/b]
I got the rear installed few days ago and the handling is fucking GREAT!!!!

I installed everything myself and this was done at a garage with access to lift, impact gun and many handy tools. I recommended you print out the instruction on www.mazda6tech.com on how to replace coilovers... I mainly use that to figure out which bolts i have to take out which help tremendously.

The front is really easy, simply take out the shock+spring and put in the new one (make sure you read my comment to Mr.Tea below). Make sure you put the one label for R on the right and L on the left.. It said that right on the sticker after the model number.

The rear is a pain in the ass, especially the rear SHOCKS!!!! the 3 bolts holding the rear shocks was such a big difficult to get off... and get them back in!!! I did not cut the rear OEM rubber bumpers stop, but its up to you if you want to make the rear of your car looks slammed.

My car was handling a little bit better after i got my RB rear sway bar on a year ago but i still experience medium to high body roll when taking hard turn around corner... but after these new suspension came on, NO body rolls at all when taking hard turn. Everything seem really stable and flat on the ground.. i love it.

I dropped the front around 2 inches and the back is 1.5". So the back will have a little bit of gap since i also got my new wheels and dont want it to rub. 1 finger clearance in the front and 2 fingers in the rear. Will post some pics later.

yes they fit, i've had mine on for about 4 years now i think.

the key with that little nipple as you call it, is to rotate the shock body before tightening so that it alignes with the cup it fits into. it's hard to do since you typically tighten the perch on outside the car, but i found that marking it so i had an idea of where it should align, put me withing a 1/4", so i just twisted the shock body a bit and it slid in.

hope that made a bit of sense.

my shocks are coming out first of next month for a custom revalve, so we'll see how these work at that point. but for street driving, i really liked these, they did more than enough for me.[/b]
Yea i found that out the hard way.

For the front shock, i thought the TEIN sticker on the shock was suppose to facing out so people know that you running Tein in ur system, but in doing so, the brake fluid mount will be difficult to put on and put stress on the brake line itself... I found out that simply turn the front shocks until the nipple line up with the control arm... then everything will be in place and smooth. Doing that will hide the TEIN stickers in the back, but who care anyways since it will be behind the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
if anyone sees green shocks, they'll know what it is....no need for a label!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts