Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Techna-Fit SS brake lines with Hawk Ceramic pads and Cross drilled rotors. Took it for a spin to do the initial breakin requirements and what a difference. They just grab harder then regular stock. Just quick brake combo for anyone that is looking for 500 bucks. That all four wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a question on the Techna Fit lines. The rears I installed with no probs. The fronts didn't look too safe. The way it mounts to the incoming steel line doesn't look secure. It looks like you have to remove that mounting block/pipe adapter to attach the Techna fit line to. That means the steel line will move around as the SS line goes up and down with the suspension. Correct me if I'm wrong. I spoke with someone at Techna Fit and they said that was how it was made. You are able to use a clip to secure te rear line to the OEM mounting bracket, but I just don't see one for the front.

I just installed Techna-Fit SS brake lines with Hawk Ceramic pads and Cross drilled rotors. Took it for a spin to do the initial breakin requirements and what a difference. They just grab harder then regular stock. Just quick brake combo for anyone that is looking for 500 bucks. That all four wheel.
[/b]

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I have a question on the Techna Fit lines. The rears I installed with no probs. The fronts didn't look too safe. The way it mounts to the incoming steel line doesn't look secure. It looks like you have to remove that mounting block/pipe adapter to attach the Techna fit line to. That means the steel line will move around as the SS line goes up and down with the suspension. Correct me if I'm wrong. I spoke with someone at Techna Fit and they said that was how it was made. You are able to use a clip to secure te rear line to the OEM mounting bracket, but I just don't see one for the front.
[/b]
I put the bracket that the front stock line was attached to back on and then used a nylon wire tie through the two holes and around the fitting on the Technafit SS line (the thickest part) and that seems to hold it well. For the record, the Rotora SS lines are the same way.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I did the same, I used a nylon zip tie to help secure it.
[/b]
Yeah I thought about doing that but decided not to. Still doesn't seem too secure to me. Rather have a clip holding the line down like the rears. The Rotoras look like there is an extra bracket to attach a clip to.

·
Registered
417 Posts
can these be pads be used with stock rotors?, or are they for cross drilled only?

I do track driving so need good brakes, and so I obviously dont want the drilled rotors, but the pads sound good.

Nige.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Performance Ceramics are more aesthetic than performance. If you're concerned with dust and noise then they are an excellent choice. However if you're doing any type of track racing (which you mentioned), then you're better off with HPS, HP+ or a mix (HP+ front, HPS rear).

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
can these be pads be used with stock rotors?, or are they for cross drilled only?

I do track driving so need good brakes, and so I obviously dont want the drilled rotors, but the pads sound good.

Nige.
[/b]

I finally found the link to the StopTech white paper about brake system upgrades. Its worth reading, although it gets a bit deep in places.

One paragraph that stood out, and should be the source of great debate:

DRILLED VS SLOTTED ROTORS

For many years most racing rotors were drilled. There were two reasons - the holes gave the "fireband" boundary layer of gasses and particulate matter someplace to go and the edges of the holes gave the pad a better "bite".

Unfortunately the drilled holes also reduced the thermal capacity of the discs and served as very effective "stress raisers" significantly decreasing disc life. Improvements in friction materials have pretty much made the drilled rotor a thing of the past in racing. Most racing rotors currently feature a series of tangential slots or channels that serve the same purpose without the attendant disadvantages.

the entire white paper can be read here:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_brake...elections.shtml

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks Denis,

Yeah, I`d read about the whole drilled / slotted thing before, thats why I was saying I DID NOT want drilled. Appreciate you taking the time to look it up though.

Nige.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I finally found the link to the StopTech white paper about brake system upgrades. Its worth reading, although it gets a bit deep in places.

One paragraph that stood out, and should be the source of great debate:

DRILLED VS SLOTTED ROTORS

. . .

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_brake...elections.shtml
[/b]
That is an excellent discussion. Another, less technical and a bit more practical ("what should I spend my hard-eaned cash on?") source is a recent posting by a guy named Rob Levinson on a forum for BMW E46 enthusiasts: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.ph...6873&page=2 Put that together with Crossbow's excellent postings here on Mazda6club and on Mazda6tech, and you start to approach a consensus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts