Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...My m6 comes with a little nifty "traction control system" ooooohhhh ahhhhhhh, but.....Should I turn it on or off? I know if it slip, this would be a useful feature, but really now, do any of you guys actually turn this thingy on?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I leave it on all the time, because you never know when you'll need it. Also, the indicator light on the dash is annoying to me.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I actually don't worry about it unless there's snow or alot of rain on the ground. TCS cuts engine power when you spin, if I left it on last winter I wouldn't have made it a few times

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually don't worry about it unless there's snow or alot of rain on the ground. TCS cuts engine power when you spin, if I left it on last winter I wouldn't have made it a few times
[/b]

Yes...but that light is so damn annoying...I guess I can find a way to cover it up though :sarc:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Your just silly...

It is a safty feature so you cant exactly turn it on when you need it because you dont know when you will need it. Kinda like you cant just put your seat belt on right before you crash.

TCS does not bog down your exceleration unless your tires slip, so as long as your not peeling out all the time, it will never kick on.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I always turn it off. It bogs down acceleration too much for my taste.
[/b]
You're hard launching your car on the road enough for it to bother you by bogging down your acceleration? TCS only activates when then tyres are sensed to be slipping. If you turn the system off, you can spin the tyres all day long. However, if you are just accelerating hard, it makes no difference to that acceleration unless you don't hold traction. I leave the system on at all times unless I plan on needing it off. I really see no reason to turn it off for street driving. Your driving style shouldn't be agressive enough on the street to require the TCS to be off.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
I turn it off when it is dry and leave it on when it is wet.
[/b]
Same here.

Your just silly...

It is a safty feature so you cant exactly turn it on when you need it because you dont know when you will need it. Kinda like you cant just put your seat belt on right before you crash.
[/b]
Yeah good example but, the reasoning silver six has isn't bad. You lose traction alot easier when it's wet and a TON less when it's dry. Or I do anyways, dunno what kind of tires you have. In curves and whatnot, suchas merging into oncoming traffic from a corner or a light, etc... if you have the TCS off, it responds a ton better rather than having that hiccup.

Your driving style shouldn't be agressive enough on the street to require the TCS to be off.
[/b]
Oh c'mon. It's a damn sports sedan. It's going to be driven the way it was made to be driven. You can't say you've never taken a corner faster than you would in a normal car, just b/c you're driving the 6.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i think whether you leave it on or off should be left entirely up to your knowledge of how well you know you can control a fwd car that weighs 3400 lbs. i personally leave it off because i can control the slides and push the front tires where i want them, and as for backing the power off, thats what my foot is for. for reasons i wont mention i got into a spin when i had forgotten to turn the tcs off and basically all i did was jerk back and forth as a combination of both me and the computer trying to correct the spin and overdoing it together until finally completely spinning out. but im the type of person that puts myself in a bad situation to learn how to get out, so when it happens out of my control i can save myself. so if you can control it i would much rather do something myself than sit still and rely on a computer. if you cant best leave it to the tcs.

gremlyn makes a good point about street driving stlye. but im the jack*** that you see jammin down the mountain or cutting lanes at 120

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Why the hell are you sliding on city streets? I can't remember the last time that in normal, daily driving I kicked the TCS on. The last time I had to use my TCS was going UP a 27% grade, where I had to stop halfway up with a line of cars behind me and a wet road. That was purposefully used too. I can remember one instance in the rain where the TCS came on (took a corner into a small puddle I couldn't see).

If you're racing, its another story. TCS should always be off when you're on the track.

·
Registered
30 Posts
you know sometimes your coming to the light to make a left turn and it goes yellow so i speed up to make it but the extra speed carried through the turn makes me slide a little bit :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just to let everyone know the TCS control will autmotically kick in if your car senses extreme slipping when its off. So you can turn it off for like peeling out but as a safety feature if your car slips TOO much it automatically turn it on.

I emailed mazdausa customer service about TCS and thats what they told me.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to let everyone know the TCS control will autmotically kick in if your car senses extreme slipping when its off. So you can turn it off for like peeling out but as a safety feature if your car slips TOO much it automatically turn it on.

I emailed mazdausa customer service about TCS and thats what they told me.
[/b]

Wow...learn something new everyday :yesnod:

·
Registered
603 Posts
but im the type of person that puts myself in a bad situation to learn how to get out, so when it happens out of my control i can save myself.[/b]
I do the same thing, though I do it in a open parking lot or an empty industrial area.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just leave it on and shut it off once in a while when I spot an opportunity to push the 6 around a little more. Also, I just leave it on simply because of the fact that TCS automatically turns itself back on when you restart the car. It can be off all you want during a driving session (unless conditions are extremely slippery), but, when you park, shut the car off, and restart it later, the TCS will be back in action.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts