Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would pose this question to you guys to see if you might have the same problems. Sometimes, when I start the car and its chilly outside the TCS Off light will stay on for an extended period of time. Other times it will turn off immediately when the air bag light does. Is this a problem with the TCS system engaging in cold weather or perhaps a problem with the TCS system altogether? Has anyone else seen this? Maybe its something I need to add to the list of things for teh dealer to fix :D

Ideas welcome..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Replying to Topic 'TCS OFF'

it is normal. from the owners manual:

"After starting the engine when the coolant temperate is extremely low, the TCS is automatically turned off. At this time the TCS OFF indicator light will remain on, but this does not indicate an abnormality. After the engine has warmed, the TCS will resume normal operation and the indicator light will go out."

read that the other day. heh. also noticed it on only the colder weather.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Replying to Topic 'TCS OFF'

I've noticed that too and have been meaning to check the manual, but now I dont have to. Thanks.:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Reading Topic: TCS OFF

Can anyone explain why the engine light would appear for about eight miles and then go out? My M6s had 913 miles when it came on and 921 when it went off. It didn't seem like it was operating poorly and has continued without problem since. Now at 963 miles.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

The TCS doesn't work until the engine is above 0 deg C (32F).

Cynder: did you tighten the gas tank lid? Two or three snaps?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Why? The colder it is, the more you need TCS:
colder = firmer rubber on tires
colder = higher potential for ice or snow

What causes this limitation? Engine temp should have nothing to do with TCS...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I think this is because the TCS works by reducing engine effect. Doing so until the engine reaches 0 deg (32F) may cause the engine to stall, I guess.

But normalla it takes only 10-30 sec when it's cold outside until TCS works.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

The TCS system links in with the EMS(ECU) to cut back power to the wheels. While the engine is cold (cold start mode) engaging the TCS could stall the motor or cause it run extremely rough. So untill the engine reaches a set minium operating temp, TCS is automaticly disabled.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I actually thought of all that after I posted...but good to have it confirmed. If it weren't so early, I just may have thought of it before I posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts