Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to drive with it off most of the time because I found 1st gear to be a lot more "get up and go" rather than pudgy like it was before. I keep it on when it rains, but I was just curious if anyone else noticed this improvement with it off. Sorry if this is a repost.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Replying to Topic 'TCS off or on when you drive?'

I was just playing with that this a.m. I agree, better response in first with the TCS off.:D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: TCS off or on when you drive?

Off. I find it rather annoying. I hope if a ECU chip comes out that one of the features is a reversal of the current TCS button, that way the default is TCS off and when you hit the button it turns on.

·
Registered
229 Posts

I agree with Brillo.

It is annoying. However, I feel the car has more zip with it turned on. Call me crazy?

I just leave it on anyway. It's an annoyance to have to turn it off every time before driving it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I like the idea of a new ECU programmed with it off as a default. Also, I've been thinking of one day poking around behind my dash and figuring out how to turn off the damn [glow tcolor=green, fcolor=black, size=3, strength=5]green[/glow] headlight notification. Anyone else find it annoying?

·
Registered
376 Posts

of course it's annoying, but then i leave it on... seeing some green lights around the red display IS very annoying... tha's why i do not use the cruise so often...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I know I'm sort of hijacking my own thread by getting off topic bout the tcs, but I think it'd be nice to see different colors for the dash and center console (i.e. the blue in the MPS 6) or something other than red. I like the red a lot, just be nice to have some variety.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

I'm fairly sure the dash warning lights and other little lights are powered by nothing more than a little LED. You can purchase them (In a variety of colors and intensities) from most any computer modification site. Most of them are usually just two metal wires, snip-snip, and a cheapo $12 soldering gun from Radio Shack later, and you have yourself a different colored warning light.

A few PC mod online stores:

www.pcmods.com
www.plycon.com
www.directron.com

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the quick response, i'm going to look into that. The only thing I'm worried about is poking around the dash, I'd like to do it right the first time rather than be the guiena pig.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Excuse me but how do you people drive if you are annoyed by the TCS on tarmac!?

M

·
0 Posts

Interestingly, I just started experimenting with turning off the TCS. The car really does seem to have sharper throttle response and better performance with it off. I wish I could turn it off, leave it off, and not be annoyed by that light!

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

You guys should keep your eyes on the road instead on the dashboard. Then you wouldn't see it that much. :D

·
Registered
388 Posts

i do not see how the lights are that annoying. i have done many highway trips, at night, with cruise control on. it never seemed to bother me. i have also driven around town without TCS on. the light really never bothers me. are you guys super sensitive to light? maybe you need to be out in the sun more?

·
Registered
526 Posts

Originally posted by 84FordMan
I'm fairly sure the dash warning lights and other little lights are powered by nothing more than a little LED. You can purchase them (In a variety of colors and intensities) from most any computer modification site. Most of them are usually just two metal wires, snip-snip, and a cheapo $12 soldering gun from Radio Shack later, and you have yourself a different colored warning light.[/b]

First - the whole reason they're a different color is to draw your attention to them - so you know what's going on without having to look too hard. Make 'em all one color and you'll have to actually read, rather than recognize color to understand what's on and what's not.

Also, I've been behind a couple of instrument panels in the past. The bulb is most likely nothing more than a normal, white, incandescent bulb in a small cavity and not an LED. In my experience, the color has always come from a colored film behind the letter cutouts and never the bulb itself.

·
Registered
376 Posts

i agree that is not a big issue but still, when i see other color as Ruefus said, it gets my attention and my subconcious tells me there is something that might be wrong on the car... well, in the past i drove cars that didn't had a light for cruise control and neither a traction control... so... but i'm sure i will get used to it...

·
Registered
150 Posts

I agree that with the TCS off there is better response and get-up-an-go acceleration. I saw some test conducted by Motorweek TV? last year where they turned off (if equipped) the TCS and/or ESC on their test cars they turned slightly better 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. I've turned mines off as the warmer weather is not promoting icy road conditions. I left mines off last night driving home from work in the rain and didn't have any non-grip problems. Checking on the gas mileage with it off. I've been getting around 24.4 average mpg on my 6s MT w/3200 mi with the TCS on.

·
Registered
389 Posts

for the short time i've been driving the car, i've been mostly driving with TCS on (its been raining lately). But, last night, after it rained here in town and the roads were drying up, i turned off TCS. To tell you the truth, i didn't notice much of a difference, maybe i will later after the car is broken in.

·
Registered
298 Posts

i also started driving with the TCS off..damm..i dont know about you guys..but the car feels like a whole NEW animal..anyone else agree?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'TCS off or on when you drive?'

After reading this thread...I decided to take a drive tonight....Well I have good news to report. Yes, you have more speed and pickup with turning off TCS. It was a nice surprise! Great thread guys! Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'TCS off or on when you drive?'

I would like to see some hard numbers though. I think of it as a placebo effect, people claim diseases being healed through the miracle of a pill, even though it was a placebo (sugar pill).

I too have driven with it off and I can feel a slight difference, but it may all be in my mind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts