Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was about to perform the "Throttle Body Optimization" written by twowheelin I noticed my TB plate was not closed completely. Look at Pic.

[attachmentid=11995]

Isn't it suppose to be completely closed like (See pic)

[attachmentid=11996]

I feel like it is not suppose to be like that. Is it?

Also, (this might be the cause of it) when I turn my key to the on position I get a weird high pitch sound coming from the TB. It sounds as if the TB is trying to do something but it cannot. I would like to know if this is normal or I have a bad TB and needs to be replaced.

Any help or suggestion would truly be appreciated with this matter?

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody can help me out. Or nobody wants to help me out because this question is so POINTLESS... :irate:

Oh man, bummed out. Nobody wants to help :tear:

I just though that the butterfly plate looked weird to me. I was doing some exploration and getting to know my engine a lot better and noticed that the butterly plate was not fully closed and making a weird noise while the ignition was on the ACC position...no wait the one after that...the position before you actually turn on the engine. I performed a search and no luck (Search in Mazda and Google = nothing).

I guess the only solution is to go to the dealer and ask to see 2005 Mazda 6i manual and see if it is normal.

COOL, no hard feelings I guess.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I haven't done this mod yet, but I know that a couple of people have had some issues if the TB wasn't reassembled properly. Only advice I can give it to take the TB apart again and make sure everything is smoothened and aligned correctly. It is hard to tell from those pictures you took, but are those the stock screws or screws you put in?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
When I was about to perform the "Throttle Body Optimization" written by twowheelin I noticed my TB plate was not closed completely.
[/b]
He didn't do it yet, that's before he undid anything am I correct, as Far as I know it's supposed to be complelty shut... How Many miles do you have?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Oops, looks like I skipped over the part that said he was *about* to do it.

So Nando, you just removed the accordian tube and found the TB like that? You didn't touch anything? Do you have a CAI intalled?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops, looks like I skipped over the part that said he was *about* to do it.

So Nando, you just removed the accordian tube and found the TB like that? You didn't touch anything? Do you have a CAI intalled?
[/b]
Yes, I do have the CAI w/Tunable MAFci from CP-e and yes, that is the way I found it. I have about 8,000 miles on my car. All I did was removie the CAI and when I looked at my TB Butterfly Plate it was not fully closed.

I will check some of the 2005 Mazda 6i's from the dealer today and see if they are suppose to be like that and see if its suppose to make that weird noise while the ignition is on the "ON" position.

I will send a feedback after I check some of the Mazda 6i's today. Maybe someone might have the same problem.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm almost certain the plate is never supposed to 100% close. There was a nice bit of information in an old post about this.
[/b]
Thank you very much crossbow. I did a search under TB and TB Butterly plate but twowheelin's written post just comes up. Any hints for a search word or link.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
it shouldn't completely close as it still needs some air to idle and whatnot. but it should be pretty close to tight.

the sound you hear is just the ETB going through it's "start up" cycle where it goes lock to lock to make sure it is reading correctly. i've played with my TB plenty (whatta pervert) and i've gotten used to the sound.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got back from the Mission Valley and El Cajon dealer to check and see if the 2005 6i's they have left made the same noise and some of them did but not all of them.

I truly appreciate the feedback and information given, thanks a lot guys. That is just one more thing I learned from my Mazda 6i engine.

I heard of a repair manual that is being sold for our cars, I think it is a wise choice for me to purchase. Damn, almost everything is so different from my 1990 Mazda MX-6.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Nando,

The high pitched buzz is normal TB activity although I'm not sure why it does it. Mine sings for about 5-6 seconds after I turn my car off also. The TB plate is normally open a tad as mentioned by Mr Tea. There are actually 2 positioning screws used to adjust where the TB plate stops when it closes. I believe it is held just slightly open to allow a little air in (as mentioned) and/or to prevent the plate from sticking or binding in the closed position when the TB expands and contracts due to heat.

The external adjustment screw is covered with epoxy but is visible next to the plastic cover on the front of the TB. The other screw is under the plastic cover on the shaft.

Everything is visible when you take it all apart ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nando,

The high pitched buzz is normal TB activity although I'm not sure why it does it. Mine sings for about 5-6 seconds after I turn my car off also. The TB plate is normally open a tad as mentioned by Mr Tea. There are actually 2 positioning screws used to adjust where the TB plate stops when it closes. I believe it is held just slightly open to allow a little air in (as mentioned) and/or to prevent the plate from sticking or binding in the closed position when the TB expands and contracts due to heat.

The external adjustment screw is covered with epoxy but is visible next to the plastic cover on the front of the TB. The other screw is under the plastic cover on the shaft.

Everything is visible when you take it all apart ;)
[/b]

Wow, thank you very much for your info twowheelin. I love being a Mazda 6 Club member, it rocks. :drive:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Nando 6i
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing