Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm looking to dropping my Mazda 6 wagon using the Tanabe TNF173.

I've asked around and was told that 2014+ and the 2018 springs have the same part number and I should not have any issues with the Tanabes.

Just wanted to double check with you guys since I am from the Philippines and will be having the springs shipped, would be a huge disappointment if these didn't fit :crying:

Anyone on here lowered their 2018 M6??

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
679 Posts
When I was shopping springs the only Tanabe springs that showed to fit the 2018 6 were the NF210's which is what I installed and yes, the NF210's 2014+ will work on the 2018.

Why the TNF173? I would double check as I'm not convinced they will fit. I'm not saying they won't - just didn't show that they would when I was researching 4 months a go.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking to dropping my Mazda 6 wagon using the Tanabe TNF173.

I've asked around and was told that 2014+ and the 2018 springs have the same part number and I should not have any issues with the Tanabes.

Just wanted to double check with you guys since I am from the Philippines and will be having the springs shipped, would be a huge disappointment if these didn't fit :crying:

Anyone on here lowered their 2018 M6??

Cheers guys!
Have you also considering going the Bilstein/Eibach route?

·
Registered
194 Posts
When I was shopping springs the only Tanabe springs that showed to fit the 2018 6 were the NF210's which is what I installed and yes, the NF210's 2014+ will work on the 2018.

Why the TNF173? I would double check as I'm not convinced they will fit. I'm not saying they won't - just didn't show that they would when I was researching 4 months a go.
I think we have a bit of confusion here, the NF210 is the spring series, TNF173 is the specific part number that fits all 2014-2018 Mazda 6 models so you guys are talking about the same thing.

I too have the Tanabe NF210 TNF173 springs installed on my 18 Mazda 6 and it was a exact fit. The only thing that would concern me with the wagon is that the rear end is a bit heavier than our sedans, it may sag a bit back there with the rear spring rates being softer than the fronts. But who knows, the weight is likely negligible and won't make a visual difference.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Eibach doesn't make any springs for 2014+ Mazda 6 so it's not really an option, although the Bilsteins are available for the dampers.
But if you are replacing the struts with Bilstein, wouldn't that allow for the Eibachs to fit?

Do you have more pictures of your car with the Tanabe springs? Like a side-profile view in particular? The drop with the Signature wheels on the 2018 model looked really good!

·
Registered
194 Posts
But if you are replacing the struts with Bilstein, wouldn't that allow for the Eibachs to fit?

Do you have more pictures of your car with the Tanabe springs? Like a side-profile view in particular? The drop with the Signature wheels on the 2018 model looked really good!
Not sure how replacing the struts with Bilstein or any other branded strut would change which springs can fit the 14-18 Mazda 6 as they are both designed specific to our car, they're not some universal units that can interchange different parts from older model years. If you're thinking of the coilover kits that are available for some cars that consist of the Bilsteins and Eibach springs, those are not available for the 6 either. Currently, the only options are Tanabe, H&R and Corksport.

I don't have any side profile photos but iDrive does, just do a search for iDrive's build thread and you'll see his vehicle which has the same springs as me and he has before and after photos of the side.

·
Banned
703 Posts

Not sure how replacing the struts with Bilstein or any other branded strut would change which springs can fit the 14-18 Mazda 6 as they are both designed specific to our car, they're not some universal units that can interchange different parts from older model years. If you're thinking of the coilover kits that are available for some cars that consist of the Bilsteins and Eibach springs, those are not available for the 6 either. Currently, the only options are Tanabe, H&R and Corksport.

I don't have any side profile photos but iDrive does, just do a search for iDrive's build thread and you'll see his vehicle which has the same springs as me and he has before and after photos of the side.
But the springs go over the coils. Eibach and Bilsteins are meant to be paired together. Eibach springs won’t fit on the OEM struts, but shouldn’t be an issue with different ones.

·
Registered
194 Posts
But the springs go over the coils. Eibach and Bilsteins are meant to be paired together. Eibach springs won’t fit on the OEM struts, but shouldn’t be an issue with different ones.
You're kidding me right? I don't even know where to start in explaining to you that it's not how that works. Struts and shocks, be it OEM or aftermarket are all designed around the OEM springs, meaning the perch that hold the springs in place only fit OEM springs. Aftermarket lowering springs are designed to fit in those OEM spring perches, except they're just shorter with usually higher spring rates. And Eibach doesn't make universal fit springs and Bilstein doesn't make universal fit struts/shocks so no, you can't randomly install them to the Mazda 6 or any other car that it isn't specifically designed for. There's also the issue of spring rates which are different for different models.
Please do some research before you start making suggestions on these or any forums because what you're suggesting isn't grounded in reality. I'm not trying to be harsh but what I'm telling you is very basic and you don't seem to be comprehending anything I say on this particular subject.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think we have a bit of confusion here, the NF210 is the spring series, TNF173 is the specific part number that fits all 2014-2018 Mazda 6 models so you guys are talking about the same thing.

I too have the Tanabe NF210 TNF173 springs installed on my 18 Mazda 6 and it was a exact fit. The only thing that would concern me with the wagon is that the rear end is a bit heavier than our sedans, it may sag a bit back there with the rear spring rates being softer than the fronts. But who knows, the weight is likely negligible and won't make a visual difference.
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation mate. Hopefully, it doesn't sit too low in the back.

I saw your thread with the photos as well, looking sweet. Really liking the drop of the Tanabes :grin2:

Will post some photos when I get the springs on, which unfortunately will have to wait till mid September. Can't seem to find any compatible lowering springs locally, except for Godspeeds which I've read have mixed reviews.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plans got derailed. Tanabe Springs are on back order and will not be available till end of October. I did find H&Rs that are on stock though.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Where are you located? I have a set of new lowering springs for mazda 6 wagon (front 30 mm, rear 25 mm) which I will not be installing... manufacturer is Cobra Suspension (The Netherlands).

I got a great bargain (Amazon) and am willing to sell them cheap.

Edit: my springs are for wagon only, so probably sedan springs do not fit.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Plans got derailed. Tanabe Springs are on back order and will not be available till end of October. I did find H&Rs that are on stock though.

Thoughts?

H&R is a popular choice over in the BMW world. Was never a fan. I think they are too stiff for regular street use. Corksport maybe? I think I would just wait for the Tanabe's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where are you located? I have a set of new lowering springs for mazda 6 wagon (front 30 mm, rear 25 mm) which I will not be installing... manufacturer is Cobra Suspension (The Netherlands).

I got a great bargain (Amazon) and am willing to sell them cheap.

Edit: my springs are for wagon only, so probably sedan springs do not fit.

Hey bud, thanks for your message. I’m located in the Philippines. I’ve had a look into your post and it looks like your springs are for 2nd gen Mazda 6.

Also, I’ve confirmed with Mazda parts department locally that the springs are the same for wagon and sedan models.

Cheers mate!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
H&R is a popular choice over in the BMW world. Was never a fan. I think they are too stiff for regular street use. Corksport maybe? I think I would just wait for the Tanabe's.

Your message is making me think twice now. The roads here in the Philippines are far from perfect and stiff springs will definitely be felt if they are too far from OEM.

Argh.

Here is my situation, I have someone in Boston who take my springs home if I decide to get the H&Rs. I will be receiving them mid September.

If I opt to wait for the Tanabes, I will have to opt for international shipping which will take much longer considering local post here is quite slow. So those will probably get to me mid to late November.

I will ask have to inquire with the online store if they do international shipping to Manila.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Your message is making me think twice now. The roads here in the Philippines are far from perfect and stiff springs will definitely be felt if they are too far from OEM.

Argh.

Here is my situation, I have someone in Boston who take my springs home if I decide to get the H&Rs. I will be receiving them mid September.

If I opt to wait for the Tanabes, I will have to opt for international shipping which will take much longer considering local post here is quite slow. So those will probably get to me mid to late November.

I will ask have to inquire with the online store if they do international shipping to Manila.

My recommendation would be to order Bilstein shocks. For rough roads, B4 is probably the best option. B6 struts are more sporty, but will still dampen the bumps better than OEM. I think B6 struts with OEM springs is probably the best all around choice in your situation. If you insist on a lower ride height, I would suggest waiting for the Tanabe's. They strike a very good balance between firmness and comfort which works very well with the Bilstein's. I say they are worth the wait.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cheers, my springs are for GJ/GL wagon/sportbreak, so for skyactiv models, on sale in Europe since 11.2012.

Partnumber: COB4661 or 00.4661 (prtscr attached)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Cobra-COB4661-Federn-Mazda-6-30-25mm-/163039349796?autorefresh=true

Sedans have another part number for lowering springs, according to Eibach, Cobra Suspension and also according to the austrian mazda webpage (Kombi = Wagon, Stufenheck = Sedan). The springs you can buy directly from mazda are in fact Eibach springs.

https://www.mazda.at/service-zubehoer/accessories/mazda6/2016-09/aussenausstattung/410077797/

There is weight, weight distribution and wheelbase difference between wagon and sedan. I am sure the sedan springs would phisically fit the wagon though, just not sure how the car would sit... probably too low due to additional weight of wagon on the rear axle?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
8 Participants
1BlinkGone
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing