Mazda 6 Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Think it would be possible to install it in a driveway with a standard jack? Or does it need to go up on a lift? Also, any chance we can get a group buy together? :smile2:
As long as you can do it on a flat surface, not inclined driveway, you will be fine. I did mine in the garage, on jack stands, start to finish in 45 minutes. It's a joke to install, especially on our new cars without any rusty 15 year old bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Think it would be possible to install it in a driveway with a standard jack? Or does it need to go up on a lift? Also, any chance we can get a group buy together? :smile2:
It is very easy to install. Most annoying part is really just sliding off the hangers.
As far as setting up a group buy I wouldnt be able to do anything like that as I dont work for Tanabe or am not one of their dealers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
too bad there is not enough options for exhaust for our cars yet.. i would really like to see the greddy.trust exhaust.. ive only seen catalog pics..

·
Registered
618 Posts
too bad there is not enough options for exhaust for our cars yet.. i would really like to see the greddy.trust exhaust.. ive only seen catalog pics..
There isn't enough demand for more companies to develop exhausts for our cars. Only small niche companies like CorkSport, RB, Tanabe, etc. This is a family sedan after all :)

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I just got the Medalion installed last night. I can hardly notice a difference in cabin noise and it's far too cold to run around with the windows down right now, but it seems to sound nice when I really listen for it. I did, however, notice an immediate improvement in low-end torque. It's not going to burn up any tires or anything, but it definitely makes it easier to get going from a light with the MTX.

I opted to paint the cans/brackets black as I don't like the look of the exhaust (stock or aftermarket) hanging out from under the black trim on the back. I didn't try to make it pretty -- just scuffed it up with some 200 grit sandpaper and applied several light coats of some higher temp engine enamel. Time will tell how well it holds up, but it looks great so far. I'll have to add a pic from the rear of the car to see what I mean.

I also grabbed this pic when I finished installing because I thought it looked cool with the reflection from the work light under the car:

One more note for @solar365
I weighed it against the OE exhaust and both were 36lbs, so no weight reduction here. It is worth noting, though, that this was the first one of it's kind in the US (bought it used from @RogerMZ6 that they prototyped with) so it may be heavier than what they went to production with.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I hate you man, now I have to take mine off and spray them too. :)
Hah! I told myself that I couldn't install it even just to see what it sounded like until I did the prep/paint work. I also polished and sealed the tips. It was like doing chores before you can go play. I just knew I wouldn't want to take it back off to paint later on.

Maybe you could pull it off, scuff it, spray it, and install your RSB while it's drying...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hah! I told myself that I couldn't install it even just to see what it sounded like until I did the prep/paint work. I also polished and sealed the tips. It was like doing chores before you can go play. I just knew I wouldn't want to take it back off to paint later on.

Maybe you could pull it off, scuff it, spray it, and install your RSB while it's drying...
I'm going to attempt to do that + rear brakes at the same time. Lift it once, get it all done. What did you seal the tips with?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I'm going to attempt to do that + rear brakes at the same time. Lift it once, get it all done. What did you seal the tips with?
I coated them with Carpro Dlux after polishing. I've had good results sealing wheels with Dlux and it allegedly holds up well on exhaust tips. The tips were so shiny and obnoxious afterwards that I actually ripped the chrome door handle covers off the car to reduce how tacky it all looked together.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not to resurrect an old thread, but this is the axle back I am considering. I already have all the other Tanabe pieces on my car. I can get it for $564 shipped. I wish I could find more sound bites though.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts