Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i read the other forum topics about the speed limiter -
i seems all the people here are very offended by this topic.
so i am sorry to bring it up again but i have my reasons
i am buying a Mazda6 soon and plan to bring it back with me to germany.
(i am currently here stationed)
with the current exchange rate i save thousands here in america.
anyway the only thing that annoys me is the speed limiter
i know from the german mazda6 forums, that the european version is capable of driving 230km/h - 143mph.
so i can drive my topspeed legally, don't worry about that.
i really want to know if there is a company that specializes on removing such speed limiter. i know there is one in germany but europe is expensive and they charge 500eur ~ $650 along with a chip/power upgrade.
anyone who knows a less expensive way in the US ?
thank you very much

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
if there is a company that has the product avalible in the US.. many of us would be on it already =) my guess is no

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Odd I dont recall anyone from europe ever saying their car could go that fast. Don't they just have the 4 banger model?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What about puttin a stand alone ECU in there... wouldnt that do it???
Still big $$$ though

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, the company that can remove the speed "governor" is Mazda :drool: And if some aftermarket outfit like Superchips or whoever finally cracks it, the techies on this board will be all over it!

Just looked up info on engine availability and top speed for the 2005 Euro spec Mazda 6. In gas engines there's a 1.8, 2.0, 2.3, and two 2.0 litre diesels (a 121hp and 136 hp version) with 3 body styles and AWD available on the wagon. The most powerful engine (the 2.3 gas) produces 166 hp @ 6500 rpm and has a listed top speed of 133 mph on the 4-door/5-spd mtx (the lightest body style). This is the fastest one I see on Mazda's UK website. I don't know about the German site, but the specs should be the same. Of course the 3.0 Duratec is not currently available there at all.

Anyhow, even with a measly 160hp or so, a 2.3 litre car will, given sufficient time, get up to 130mph+ I'm sure. I don't know about 143mph....that's a bit of a stretch I'd say, although these puppies have a pretty low drag coefficient after all. This is purely speculation, but I'd guess an ungoverned Mazda 6s with the 3.0 Duratec in the most favorable conditions would be good to 145 or so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i know the 2.3l is the biggest engine in europe
but i believe my german fellows, even my european version honda prelude si
(with a 2.3l engine as well!) easily reaches the top speed of 140mph
(although close to the 'red rpm limit')
so i think this won't be a problem for a newly designed 2.3l engine as well.
just a thought of mine
anyway guess we gotta live with the limiter :-(
still saved big $$$ on the car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts