Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Im trying to figure out which options are all available in terms of taillights.

Question 1: Are the mazdaspeed6 tails compatible with the 6s / standard? Reason i ask is that i see a lot for sale at nice prices and are the tinted kind. Im just not sure if they fit the standard 6.

Second, what are all the options.

As far as i know its

1. Clear - Standard chrome back, clear lens (lexus, ricers). Very common now on just about every aftermarket moder. Correct?

2. Tinted - This is a tinted lenz, but what is the back made of? black, or chrome?

3. Black - Clear lenz with a black back? Or is it?

4. Euro - Euro ones are the tinted ones right? JDM sells some, but im guessing these arent "true euros", but then if they look and are exactly the same, who cares? Is there really a difference?

Can someone clear up the differences for me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I noticed last night when checking out the new Speeds at my local dealer that there are also two different, but very similar tailights on the '06's. One has a totally smooth, clear lens while the other is clear also, but has circles or rings within each seperate light in the assembly. If you've seen it, you know what i'm talking about. The smoother one was on the Speed and the "circle" one was on a Sport sedan. Are those the models that each of those lights come stock on? i.e. is the smooth lens the "Speed" lens?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
2 kinds: North American euros and true euros. NA euros still has the bulge on the side, true euros is flushed (following the contour of the body).

Then you have the clear, tinted and black. The clear is the typical clear that you see everywhere. Tinted is still clear but it's kinda greyish. And offcourse the black is the black kind.

Lots of pictures in this forum for all kinds. You just have to look for them. :)

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Hi All,

Im trying to figure out which options are all available in terms of taillights.

Question 1: Are the mazdaspeed6 tails compatible with the 6s / standard? Reason i ask is that i see a lot for sale at nice prices and are the tinted kind. Im just not sure if they fit the standard 6.

Second, what are all the options.

As far as i know its

1. Clear - Standard chrome back, clear lens (lexus, ricers). Very common now on just about every aftermarket moder. Correct?

2. Tinted - This is a tinted lenz, but what is the back made of? black, or chrome?

3. Black - Clear lenz with a black back? Or is it?

4. Euro - Euro ones are the tinted ones right? JDM sells some, but im guessing these arent "true euros", but then if they look and are exactly the same, who cares? Is there really a difference?

Can someone clear up the differences for me?

Thanks.
[/b]
Answer 1: Yes, they are exactly the same size and shape.

for the choices, 1 and 3 are correct. 4 is partially correct... there are red, clear (chromed), tinted chrome, and blacked out in the 'euro' style, meaning no bulge, which coincidentally (or not) happens to be the same as the JDM style. As for 2, well the tinted are just like the clears, but the chrome surround is darker. They have these in the US style (with bulge) for 2006, and earlier for the euro style.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Let me see if I can get this right:

Stock 03-05: Red bulge, optional clear bulge. Only the wago has different sized lamps, sedan/hatch, all will fit.

Stock 06: Black bulge or clear bulge, depending on model, I think. Maybe the "sport" has the blacks, others get the clears? I'm pretty sure I've seen both. They will fit the 03-05 sedans/hatchs and wagons, respectively. Blacks are available from forum sponsors for around $200

Mazdaspeed: Smoother black tails, OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive, like $6-700 or something like that.

Euros: No bulge, either clear, tinted, or black. Available through FalconTX's group buys, or on ebay, but the ebay ones from Hong Kong are of terrible quality, smudged, scratched, cracked, etc. Will fit all sedans/hatchs and wagons, respectively.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I think im going to *risk* getting them fro the hk-plus guy. Even though there is a good chance they will come damaged, he is very ok with returns and exchanges so hopefully ill end up lucky. Otherwise its a big price jump.

·
Administrator
8,407 Posts
The sedan/hatch tails will NOT fit on the wagons. The wagons have no amber turn signal location, the bulb is integrated into the outside brake light, splitting the lense area into two compartments, one with a brake light, the other a blinker for the turn signal.

The '06 tails for the MS6 are indeed different from the regular black '06 tails. The MS6 does not have the circles molded into the lense like the regular tails do, but the MS6 tails are DEFINITELY NOT worth paying twice as much for...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, the thread has obvious issues and bad quality, thats worthy of sending them back. I emailed him to see the procedure if they are damaged, ill let you guys know what he writes back.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It would be great if someone who knew what they were talking about posted links to each type or possibly a list of pics with each type. Because navigating through the boards and finding pics onesy-twosey makes it hard to keep track of what you are looking at and what each picture is considered. Being as there is so much contriversy it would be a huge help if one of the more veteran 6 owners stepped up and definitively cleared up any questions. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
It would be great if someone who knew what they were talking about posted links to each type or possibly a list of pics with each type. Because navigating through the boards and finding pics onesy-twosey makes it hard to keep track of what you are looking at and what each picture is considered. Being as there is so much contriversy it would be a huge help if one of the more veteran 6 owners stepped up and definitively cleared up any questions. Thanks.
[/b]
However you have to understand that we (veterans) replied to this type of questions many times before. Do we have to keep finding the thread where this/that are located everytime? After a while it's getting to be tiresome. So that's why sometimes we just point you to the right direction and let you do the :search:

·
Registered
933 Posts
there are also overlays you can get for any of the lights. I at first had them over the stock buldgy red ones. now i have the overlays over the black euros with no buldge. you can see pictures on my cardomain :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
However you have to understand that we (veterans) replied to this type of questions many times before. Do we have to keep finding the thread where this/that are located everytime? After a while it's getting to be tiresome. So that's why sometimes we just point you to the right direction and let you do the :search:
[/b]
Sure I agree as I have been a veteran on another site for a past car, and can appreciate very much your point of view, but at some point it becomes apparent that it may be something worth a sticky or pin or whatever it's called here.

But the biggest problem is usually the pictures aren't attached to a clear discription, it's like, he look at this or check out my new whatever, but rarely do people clearly post something like, here this is a picture of the Black Euro Tails. Also having all in one spot makes it tons easier to compare as when you find the first one, by the time you find something to compare it too you have lost track of your pictures of the rest.

I understand the frustration, but often a well thought out and built post that is sticky worthy will clear up more questions than most other methods. Cause I have been looking around for a while and still haven't gotten really clear answers on it, but run into alot of I thinks and maybes. It just would be nice is all.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
if it is that important to you (ie, something you are thinking about spending a couple hundred dollars on), then you'll do your homework and find out for yourself, as opposed to relying on the answers of other people (be them right or wrong).

because i'm nice, i'll link you:

North American tails= have bulge, (do not sit flush with car), optional oem equipment (therefore, DOT approved)
cost=$200-290
NA clear tails (pics in post #1)
2006 black NA tails (pics of both red and balck NA tails in post #1)

Euro tails= no buldge (sit flush with car), no side indicator light (therefore, not DOT approved)
cost= $350-400+
True tinted, untinted, and black Euro tails (from falcon's GB, pics of all in post #4)

i am not even going to touch on tail light covers. check ebay.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great posts guys thanks for the links. It's alot more clear now that I can look at them side by side to see the distinction. The links are appreciated, when you aren't familiar with the board it's tough to know the right keywords to search for and which links to navigate to. :thumbup:

I will pull them all in here, correct me if I make any mistakes, also if I have excluded any.
Again thanks for the help guys.

More Black Euros (still no bulge)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well after contacting the seller, i have decided not to buy the cheap tail lights. He comes off as an ass and offers no explanation on the refund policy, or that it even exists.. YET all his replies to his negative comments are "Welcome to return for refund" which is probably a bunch of bull... Anyway, I would advise others not to buy from him either on ebay. The seller name is hk-plus, and in the end he actualy tells me that if im worried about the return policy, i shouldn't take the risk and buy his product... who does that? And isnt that a blunt way of sayin, you are screwed if it comes in damaged? Whatever...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts