Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I've been planning to upgrade the sound system since I bought this car and finally I think I have figured out what I want.

Speakers:
Subs - Alpine 10" R's x2
Doors - eDi 6500 (6 1/2" component)

Amps:
Sub - Orion 8002
Doors - Orion 4002

LOC:
AudioControl LC6

Wires:
eKo wires from Knukonceptz

Sound Deadener: (can you believe I got this stuff for $100 shipped?)
RAAMmat - 1 roll
Ensonite - 4 yards

Currently I have the subs installed in a generic MDF box. I was thinking of trying out my fiberglass skills in the spare tire cavern (that thing's huge!). I'm shopping for the LC6 right now and will be getting in on the eDi 6500 group buy they have going on at icixsound.com for $185. The 4002 should be about $140 and I'll have everything.

What do you guys think? I've never used an LOC like the LC6, but from my research, it is kickass for the price ($140-150 shipped).

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I decided to take some pics of the trunk to study and plan the install. I noticed this on the rear deck.

Do the Bose systems have this part cut out? Looks like I could dremel that out and mound my sub right to the rear deck. I could easily build a box for it to sit up there.

Next is the spare tire well. I could probably make something for both subs and the LC6 to sit there. Then make something out of aluminum mesh to cover it so I can lay the carpet back down on it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is something that has crossed my mind quite a bit. It would make a cool install, but the first flat and I would be wishing I had thought it through more.

Ok, scratch that idea.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
if you are going to mount the sub in the rear deck, make sure it's designed for infinite baffle. also, the power should not be too high or you will get a ton of vibration.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you are going to mount the sub in the rear deck, make sure it's designed for infinite baffle
[/b]
Say wuh?

Edit: You mean free air setup? I would build a sealed box for it. I wonder about the vibration you mentioned though. Could be a potential problem, but wouldn't deadener fix that?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Say wuh?

Edit: You mean free air setup? I would build a sealed box for it. I wonder about the vibration you mentioned though. Could be a potential problem, but wouldn't deadener fix that?
[/b]
yeah, infinite baffle is the same as open air. but if ur gonna build a box, it wont matter. im not sure deadener will kill the vibration. its all the other junk on the deck that causing the vibration, not the frame itself. anything that is clipped on and not bolted will be shaking like a polaroid picture. another member already tried it out. if you're looking for clean tight bass with 100W RMS, you'll be fine. if you're looking to set off car alarms with 500W+, i think you should put that thing elsewhere.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, you guys keep shooting down my ideas. STOP!!! :nana:

Maybe just a single 10" in on top of the spare. I believe someone mentioned being able to do that. Only problem is that 8002 might be too big for a single sub.

Anyhow, here's my latest find on the web. A do-it-all Distribution Block from Tsunami.

So what do you all think?

BTW, thanks for all the input so far.

·
Registered
418 Posts
ive also thought about the sub mounted in the rear deck and making a box under it..... i fiberglassed two 12" type rs on the passengar side instead.... mine as well try out your idea, it would be a very good thing if you got it workin.... it would cover the 2 main things about a system in our car; saving trunk space, and getting the bass in the cab without havin to keep the seats popped down

keep us updated, i vote try stickin a sub in the deck, mdf wood isnt too expensive and it doesnt sound like THAT big of a task, just dont cut the carpet on the deck at first (if thats possible) so u can cover it up if the plan fails

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MDF, I'm going fiberglass baby! I'm also trying to cut down on weight. The only problem with mounting them on the rear deck is, where do I put my amps? The 8002 has got to be close to 2' long.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
get a memphis amp.

i have the "insert model number here" 1100 watt (rms) amp and its TINY. its like the size of a small cereal box (not the travel ones, obviously)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. I'm on too much of a budget to get something like that.
2. I've already purchased the 8002 just for these subs
3. It looks really cool.
4. I'm buying a 4002 for my fronts, so I'll actually have 2 amps, a LC6i and distrobution block to fit in there somewhere.

Damn, this is looking more and more like a corner box install or some outrageous humongous setup taking up all of my space, which is NOT acceptable.

Just got the LC6i off of ebay tonight for $140 shipped.

·
Registered
418 Posts
hmmm..... fiberglassin a box that would enclose a sub mounted in the rear deck? that sounds like a task i wouldnt even know how to start

as for the amp, like u said its 23.4", id mount it on the driverside rear seat and run the wires under that lil carpet cover we have in the trunk and then pop the speaker wires out whever u decided to have your subs

also, make sure u buy the right type r's for the sub.... you will need the swr-1024s not the 1022s... need the dual 4ohm coils to get everything out of the amp; either wire each sub by itself in parallel and connect each one to a seprate channel, or wire each sub indiviually in series then wire the 2 together in parallel and bridge the amp....

·
Registered
491 Posts
I recommend not covering the wheel well unless you plan on relocating the spare or possibly build a housing for it. If you do it on the rear deck, u could use mdf and fiberglass around it to round off the shape(plus give it extra support since fiberglass gets it's strength from curves). Make sure to seal off the trunk as much as you can though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have dual 4ohm coils on the subs, so I can run 2 ohms. I haven't decided what to do with everything yet. I don't like mounting on the seats, yet I don't want to make this huge, heavy custom setup (not that it won't be heavy already).

I wish I could find some more creative install pics for ideas. Most either have a generic box or some huge fiberglass setup taking up all the trunk or huge mdf/plexiglass setup. I want trunk space and I want light weight if possible.

To be honest, I am thinking more about the spare so I can get the amps under the rear deck. I should be able to build something for the wheel well and still be able to keep the spare and remove it easily enough if needed. I think I'll put the LC6i under the passenger seat...maybe :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, here's my idea. I'll put them ABOVE the wheel wells on each side and the amps under the rear deck!

Here's my idea and enjoy my fabulous art work...

I was thinking of putting the amps on a swinging or sliding rack that will latch up for normal everyday use, then either swing it down or slide it out to show off.

What do you think?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well its a decent idea, but there are a few probs, first off would be securing these boxes since traditional gravity wont be holding them in place, and i know your pics are just sketches, but you need to make sure u have the right internal volume for the subs, i believe your subs want around .6cuft
so either you'll need to cover more space than what u colored in, or the subs will be sticking out kinda far, which makes the problem of securing them even harder
its a good idea but i think keepin them on the floor would uncomplicate a lot of things

here is what i did...
[attachmentid=15165]

its not done in the pic (actually it still isnt) and in the pic its not pushed all the way in the lil cubby hole its supposed to fit into, but it gets the job done and saves a lot of space compared to a traditional box

also u can look at this
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...erest&st=24
maybe do that for each sub in each side...

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought I was going to originally put them in the corners on each side, but that is quite a bit of weight past the rear axle. Then again, with Fiberglass, it won't be as much. Anyway, I also thought about making the subs on each side and the rack all one piece, if that's possible. I don't think I will, but that was another idea that popped in my head. I think I need a 1cubic foot box (before the sub is installed) to meet the needs.

This is still all development stage, if you will, and I haven't even received or ordered, all of the equipment, yet. eD 6500's will be ordered this week.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts