Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased my 2004 mazda 6 i. I am going to do the first oil change on it, but I'm not sure which oil to use, synthetic or regular. One ford/mazda dealer i called said they recommended a synthetic blend, and another mazda dealer said they recommended regular. I don't know what the guy i bought it from used in it, so which kind should I use?

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can go with pretty much any quality synth, synth blend or DINO. As long as you're changing at required intervals you most likely will be fine. I do prefer to use a Full Synthetic. Although I have the 3.0 which is specd. for 5w20, I've used Royal Purple, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil1 and the Ford Motorcraft oils. All have come back with excellent UOAs'. I currently run the Motorcraft Full Synthetic in my '07S.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I use Castrol Syntec 5w-20 and never have had an issue.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
While I cannot disagree with any of the others (my 2003 6i has lived on Synth since 1500 miles, now at 125K flawless engine miles), I will caution you against sWITCHING a car from Dino to synth late in its life. Leaks can occur.

This is heavily discussed everywhere, including bitog Forums etc, and is almost a Holy War level topic. If I were in your place, I wouldn't risk putting in synth on a car with a certain number of miles unless I were POSITIVE the previous owner used synthetic!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts