Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I have a 06 6i. I insure the Jiffy Lube that is close to my office, and Ive always taken it down there to get the oil changes done. 1- bc I insure the business and like to do bus with those who do bus wi me. 2- its close, and the dealer is far and 3, I refuse to do it myself bc I am lazy like that.

Anyway... they told me the first time it was done that it "calls" for a specific brand weight synthetic oil which happens to be like the most expensive oil there is. Is this necessary??? Are you guys using synthetic? and... they claim that I can go 5kmiles between oil changes since its synthetic oil. I am catious of this and still go every 2,500-3k. Which gets old bc they charge like $42 for an oil change.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
347 Posts
Our Mazda 6 DOES NOT "calls for a specific brand", the recommended oil viscosity is 5W-20, you can put in 5W-30 or 10W-30 if you live in warm locations like Arizona or Florida.

I wouldn't trust Jiffy Lube though, I heard tons of bad things about them, you can go to Wal-Mart if you want, they charge $39.99 for Mobil 1 synthetic with filter. Synthetic oil can go more than 5000 miles, I change mine every 8000 miles.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I'm using amsoil 5w20 full synthetic.I run it for 6,000 miles and just change the filter at 3,000 miles and put a new quart of oil in.My oil has always looked clean when i do that.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Anyway... they told me the first time it was done that it "calls" for a specific brand weight synthetic oil which happens to be like the most expensive oil there is. Is this necessary??? Are you guys using synthetic?[/b]
The factory fill for the 6i is a semi synthetic blend of Motorcraft 5w-20, which supringly gives good wear numbers based on Used Oil Analysis reports (read: good oil, good protection). So do you really need synthetic for good lubrication and engine wear protection? No. The stock oil does an adequate job. Does the car specifically use synthetic oil only. Without a doubt, no.

and... they claim that I can go 5kmiles between oil changes since its synthetic oil. I am catious of this and still go every 2,500-3k.[/b]
If you look at the maintenance schedules in your owner's manual you'll notice that the oil change intervals for a 6 that is normally driven is 5,000 miles. Dealers and lube places like to throw around the 3K interval so that they can have you in their place frequently which translates to profits. It's an oil change interval (OCI) that has their profits in mind rather than your car's maintenance or your personal economics.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess... since its had synthetic ran in it since it was new I'll keep doing that. I think Im going to start going every 5k miles tho. I do like the Jiffy Lube over there, they take care of it and pay me a lot of Ins premium! :)

THanks for the responses... going with that oil change every 5k miles will make it more reasonable.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 2007 6i manual states that under normal conditions, you can go 7,500 miles and under severe conditions you can only go 5,000 miles. I read up on this just yesterday because I'm coming up on 3500 miles and wanted to know the recommended interval. It certainly won't hurt to change it earlier but if it's not recommended it's probably a waste of time and money. This is the same interval as my old Jeep Cherokee. My usual plan of action was to get the oil and filter at 4K and do the change at my nearest convenience. Since I put 400-500 miles per week on my car, that worked out pretty well.

And as far as the weight of oil, 5W20 is recommended. It is always a synthetic blend. It used to always cost more than the other weights but I haven't noticed a price difference lately. Maybe buying in bulk like your oil change place still requires a higher price for the 5W20.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you are using a full synthetic, it is pretty much a waste to run it less than 7,500 miles. If you are worried about it, get an UOA (used oil analysis) done to soothe your fears.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Our Mazda 6 DOES NOT "calls for a specific brand", the recommended oil viscosity is 5W-20, you can put in 5W-30 or 10W-30 if you live in warm locations like Arizona or Florida.

I wouldn't trust Jiffy Lube though, I heard tons of bad things about them, you can go to Wal-Mart if you want, they charge $39.99 for Mobil 1 synthetic with filter. Synthetic oil can go more than 5000 miles, I change mine every 8000 miles.[/b]
and you'd trust Wal-Mart over jiffy lube? That's like saying I'd rather have Shemp change my oil instead of Curly.

that's a reference to the Three Stooges in case nobody got it. :sarc:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ya if your changing your synth at 3 in most cases your pissing your money away. If the car was brand new I would probably do at least 1 or 2 changes at 3, but after that take it out to 5 or longer if you dont drive agressive.

And if you have a good relationship with the jiffy lube and they are taking care of you, why change. There are alot of bad jiffy lubs out there tho.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Here are my UOAs for the 2.3 liter. I got 2 sitting on the table and haven't sent them out in forever because i'm lazy.

Anyway, 8-9k should be reasonable if you're doing a good deal of highway. Remember, MFRs have done extensive testing on engine wear characteristics and the oil change interval is a compromise between "too often" and "too late". So if they say 7.5k, you're prob safe going 8-9k, tho you may void your warranty by going that long.

As for me, I do about 2k/month. 1k is straight highway, and the other half is a mix of highway and city. I always let the oil warm up before ripping hell with the engine (anything above 2-3k). As for what I use, whatever 5w20 fill is at the stealer.

Note, the mileage numbers don't quite add up b/c of rounding errors.

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
Using Royal Purple 5w20 here.

Change it every 5,000 when I take my car to get rotate/balance. My tire shop is free R&B for the life of the tire, so I do it that way to keep them synchronized, easier to keep track of.

·
Registered
919 Posts
M1 since my car was new. I found the 0w20 formula to be better than the 5w i'm using now.
I change it every 5-7k, or every 6 months.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have been using 0W-30 Castrol European Formula in my 2006 2.3 M6 since Oct. '06 w/o any problems. There has been no hesitation, winter cranking difficulties or sluggishness. It is Castrols only fully synthetic motor oil . (grp IV)
Works well for me. This vehicle will remain on a steady diet of synthetic oil w 7500 mi. oil changes .
newbombturk

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I have been using 0W-30 Castrol European Formula in my 2006 2.3 M6 since Oct. '06 w/o any problems. There has been no hesitation, winter cranking difficulties or sluggishness. It is Castrols only fully synthetic motor oil . (grp IV)
Works well for me. This vehicle will remain on a steady diet of synthetic oil w 7500 mi. oil changes .
newbombturk[/b]
:yesnod:
Hooray... Another GC user! Here's our thread

·
Registered
165 Posts
Except for my most recent oil change, I've done them at the dealer. Each time I request a full synthetic oil. Each time (and different dealers) they tell me that full synthetic isn't recommended and actually convince me to get the recommended oil (which I believe is the synthetic blend).
While I think that they are usually full of crap and most anxious to separate me from as much of my cash as possible, I can't imagine why they would steer me away from a more expensive sale if there wasn't something to it?!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Cuz if you ran full synthetic you wouldnt need to change your oil as often. And you would be less likely to have other engine parts break. Both of which means money out of their pockets.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts