Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to change my oil with royal purple and was wondering if there is a break in period on new cars before you can start running fully synthetic oil, my car has only 2,500 miles and will need an oil change soon, thanks fo rthe input

·
Registered
578 Posts
I wanted to change my oil with royal purple and was wondering if there is a break in period on new cars before you can start running fully synthetic oil, my car has only 2,500 miles and will need an oil change soon, thanks fo rthe input
[/b]
You can do it at any time.

I held off until I hit 7500 miles, mainly to save money. My first oil change was at 600 miles, followed by another at 3500 and again at 7500. The first two changes were using Motorcraft (factory fill) and I switched to Mobil 1 5w20 at 7500.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
The only direct limitations I've ever seen on synthetic oil's (when you can start using them) is from redline oil, which tells you to wait 1500-2000 miles prior to switching.

But redline oil isn't like any other oil on the market, as it's base stocks are based on 100% ester (polyolester) base stock vs the other synthetic's which use primarily PAO (polyalphaolefins) stocks. (With some ester's in the mix)
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultima...ic;f=1;t=001190

As long as the oil you're switching to isn't redline oil, you can switch anytime as per Slv6sPitt's recommendations.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah put that Royal Purple in as soon as you like. My dad has done a lot of research and testing of different synthetics, and he now uses Royal Purple almost exclusively on all vehicles. After my first free oil change from the dealer, I plan on switching to Royal Purple too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok well im going to get some royal purple and test it out in my car and we will see what happens!

·
Registered
86 Posts
i put some mobil 1 on mine, wow , the car runs soo damn smooth, response is back. royal purple is good as well. how long does it take for the next oil change with synthetic?

·
Registered
578 Posts
i put some mobil 1 on mine, wow , the car runs soo damn smooth, response is back. royal purple is good as well. how long does it take for the next oil change with synthetic?
[/b]
Generally, the best practice would be:

While the car is under warranty, maintain an oil change interval that accurately reflects what is specified in your cars manual. The actual number of miles will depend on driving conditions, not necessarily the type of oil you are using.

If your car is no longer under warranty or you don't care about it, a used oil analysis will tell you if you can go to an extended oil change interval beyond what is stated in the manual when using full synthetic oil.

·
Registered
247 Posts
OK I NEED HELP ... i just went to pepboys and put in mobil 1 5w-20 motor oil with a new k&n 2010 oil filter .... but when i got close to my house i started to smell something ... then once i parked inside my garage i saw some smoke coming out from the front driver-side tire well, so i opened up my hood and a little bit of smoke seems to be coming out from the engine ... DID THEY SCREW UP MY CAR???!?!!?!?!?!? holy [email protected]# ... ive nvr used synthetic oil before on this car, fourth oil change at 9000 miles ... ANY SPECULATIONS THOUGHTS IDEAS ADVICE before my car blows up in my garage and i die?

OH it was raining also ... but i dont remember smoke ever coming out because of the rain ... i just got the autoexe grill ... maybe thats why since the rain has direct access to the engine bay now? but i would guess that the radiator in front would prevent this from happening at all .... @[email protected]

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
visit royalpurple.com - they have videos of independent testing where they get 10 hp increase.

·
Registered
86 Posts
OK I NEED HELP ... i just went to pepboys and put in mobil 1 5w-20 motor oil with a new k&n 2010 oil filter .... but when i got close to my house i started to smell something ... then once i parked inside my garage i saw some smoke coming out from the front driver-side tire well, so i opened up my hood and a little bit of smoke seems to be coming out from the engine ... DID THEY SCREW UP MY CAR???!?!!?!?!?!? holy [email protected]# ... ive nvr used synthetic oil before on this car, fourth oil change at 9000 miles ... ANY SPECULATIONS THOUGHTS IDEAS ADVICE before my car blows up in my garage and i die?
OH it was raining also ... but i dont remember smoke ever coming out because of the rain ... i just got the autoexe grill ... maybe thats why since the rain has direct access to the engine bay now? but i would guess that the radiator in front would prevent this from happening at all .... @[email protected]
[/b]
It's likely that you got some oil on the exhaust manifold and it's just burning off. No biggie. Take a peek underneath your car to make sure you're not dripping oil or anything.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Aiite thanks ... yeah i think thats just what happened ... freaked me out when i first saw it though hahaha
[/b]
That's what you get for using Pepboys. Anybody that was any good would have cleaned off any spilled oil.

:)

Seriously, if anyone can figure out a way to keep ALL the oil off the manifold, I'd love to hear it. I use the Aluminum Foil Gambit and keep most of it off, but still end up wiping some oil off the pipes to finish the job.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is what I've been doing:
2500mi-1st change: regular oil
6000mi-2nd change: regular oil (3500 from 1st)
10000mi-3rd change switch to Mobil-1 (4000 from 2nd)
every 5000mi after: Mobil-1

That way I've given the system 10,000miles to break in on regular oil that it was designed for, and it's easier to remember to change the oil at 5000mile intervals, because I hate those little windshield stickers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
jtpmedic
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing