Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 V6 manual transmission -
Last year I noticed my 3rd gear catching a bit. It's getting worse so I finally had it diagnosed as 3rd gear synchro. This seems to be a fairly common problem reading this forum. But I don't believe the synchro is like brakes or even a clutch, with regular wear and tear. It seems faulty to me. Does this get covered under any lemon laws? Does anyone have any experience dealing with this after warranty?
I am in Canada so CAMVAP may be applicable.
The dealer wants $2800 to do the work.
I already have new clutch, new brakes (ok that's normal) and new engine on a 6 year old car. Seems like a lemon to me.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just curious what you ended up doing with your transmission? I have the same car (2004 Mazda6 V6 with manual).

Unfortunately, I don't think synchros would be covered and they are a wearing item but they should last a long long time. How many miles are on your car and what kind of driving (Interstate, around town)?

Scott

·
Registered
89 Posts
lemon would be a reoccurring issue that they can not solve after a certain amount of atempts. Syncro's go bad, they are soft and have friction material that wears over time. I replaced one for my friend and it cost him around $60.00 for the synchro and about a day of my labor at the hobby shop. (This was a protege' not a 6, the synchro will probably be twice as much now.) Good lubrication and proper tolerance verification once installed and it will last a long time.

DJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
MonoxideChild
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing