Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Mazda 6 GG 2.3 GT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, looking for AuxMod alternatives, since Sylfex's is discontinued. Does anyone know to recommend any?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Just do the AUX in mod and use a bluetooth adapter or plug it into your phone. Theres a thread around here somewhere that outlines how to do the manual mod before cables were cheap enough, but basically just plug that in the back of the HU and go. You may be able to reach around without pulling it all out.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda 6 GG 2.3 GT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just do the AUX in mod and use a bluetooth adapter or plug it into your phone. Theres a thread around here somewhere that outlines how to do the manual mod before cables were cheap enough, but basically just plug that in the back of the HU and go. You may be able to reach around without pulling it all out.
How does this act with charging and playing music? My current mod does not like that whatsoever.. I can hear the charging. 😅
It also seems to suck with bass, there isn't much without the volume over 13 (phone vol. at 100%). I didn't know to blame it on the mod till someone local pointed it out to me and mentioned Sylfex AuxMod as a viable solution.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
What do you mean with charging? Even just going straight from the headphone jack i never got alternator whine, and with using a BT module, theres a physical disconnect. Since you have a GT, im gonna guess you have the Bose system, this will give it a little boost. I ran at 20 most of the time with no issues.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda 6 GG 2.3 GT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you mean with charging? Even just going straight from the headphone jack i never got alternator whine, and with using a BT module, theres a physical disconnect. Since you have a GT, im gonna guess you have the Bose system, this will give it a little boost. I ran at 20 most of the time with no issues.
Do you figure I should order the one from Ebay then? Unless you're implying that this might be more of an issue with the Bose system than the adapter?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
It's almost alright for me but I dislike the microphone. It isn't a very discrete solution.
You literally cant see it, how much more discrete do you need? LOL :)

Do you figure I should order the one from Ebay then? Unless you're implying that this might be more of an issue with the Bose system than the adapter?
You need the adapter, the BT is optional but nice. If you cant find one that ships to you, id be more than happy to be an intermediary for you.

If youre a little handy, i actually went with this hard wired into my sunglasses pocket, drilled a hole for the mic so it was more or less in the stock location in later years. I also drilled holes for the buttons, but you can skip that part easy enough.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda 6 GG 2.3 GT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You literally cant see it, how much more discrete do you need? LOL :)

You need the adapter, the BT is optional but nice. If you cant find one that ships to you, id be more than happy to be an intermediary for you.

If youre a little handy, i actually went with this hard wired into my sunglasses pocket, drilled a hole for the mic so it was more or less in the stock location in later years. I also drilled holes for the buttons, but you can skip that part easy enough.
I'm talking about the microphone on the poll he linked.

If the Bluetooth adapter works good and actually features the Bluetooth 5.0 protocol, then I'd be interested in having you be an intermediary for me. I'll look for alternatives for a bit, though.

·
Rally Racer
3,507 Posts
I'm talking about the microphone on the poll he linked.
If the Bluetooth adapter works good and actually features the Bluetooth 5.0 protocol, then I'd be interested in having you be an intermediary for me. I'll look for alternatives for a bit, though.
The microphone is line of sight which is the best you can do for picking the higher frequency parts of human speech. I can speak at a normal conversational voice level (on the highway in a 17 year old car with old BFG Comp T/A's) and the mic pics it up perfectly.
If you don't like it, put a smaller mic behind the overhead and drill a hole through it.
The view as I drive.
Rear View Mic Mazda 6.jpg

The wire you see at the left of the microphone is power for the rear camera coming off the front camera.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda 6 GG 2.3 GT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The microphone is line of sight which is the best you can do for picking the higher frequency parts of human speech. I can speak at a normal conversational voice level (on the highway in a 17 year old car with old BFG Comp T/A's) and the mic pics it up perfectly.
If you don't like it, put a smaller mic behind the overhead and drill a hole through it.
The view as I drive.
View attachment 242394

The wire you see at the left of the microphone is power for the rear camera coming off the front camera.
Fair enough. Can you control the music through the buttons on the steering wheel as well? This is definitely one of the reasons why I'd upgrade to a Bluetooth solution.
I assume the quality's good?

Oh yeah, this is a pet peeve of mine. Does the system recognise the input as "EXT1" and start displaying an incorrect, looping playback position? (the moment you turn the car on, it starts counting until it reaches the maximum and then starts all over again)

·
Rally Racer
3,507 Posts
Fair enough. Can you control the music through the buttons on the steering wheel as well? This is definitely one of the reasons why I'd upgrade to a Bluetooth solution.
I assume the quality's good?

Oh yeah, this is a pet peeve of mine. Does the system recognise the input as "EXT1" and start displaying an incorrect, looping playback position? (the moment you turn the car on, it starts counting until it reaches the maximum and then starts all over again)
The Bluetooth adapter I have does use the Ex1 on the CD. It does not however have moving numbers or any scrolling text. This is on the 2003-2005. Th e2006-2008 may be different. I don't know about steering wheel button controls however as I just touch the screen right next to me to get it to do what I want, just like a center mounted Navi/HU.

Features:
1.Hands-free Phone Call (HFP): Easy to Answer / Hang Up / Reject / Re-dial via car radio buttons, steering wheel buttons
2.Wireless Music Playback: Easy to stream music of Bluetooth devices into factory car stereo system,also cozy to control music via car radio buttons steering wheel buttons
3.Extra USB Function: Charge your phone when playing music, no worry about phone power off along your journey. This professional version also support play music from USB stick.
4.Support 3.5 mm AUX Input: Standard 3.5 mm AUX input, you can enjoy music from all AUX possible device, like MP3 player, Mobile Phone, PSP, MP4, etc.
5.Plug & Play: Installed via OEM CD changer port, integrated with the car.
6.Package Size:6.2x4.2x1.6in

I am not sure how much you are expecting for $50USD but it sounds like you may want to go the road of changing the entire head unit with a Metra kit and double DIN system. As the car approaches two decades in age your up-to-date tech options look less and less possible.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda 6 GG 2.3 GT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Bluetooth adapter I have does use the Ex1 on the CD. It does not however have moving numbers or any scrolling text. This is on the 2003-2005. Th e2006-2008 may be different. I don't know about steering wheel button controls however as I just touch the screen right next to me to get it to do what I want, just like a center mounted Navi/HU.

Features:
1.Hands-free Phone Call (HFP): Easy to Answer / Hang Up / Reject / Re-dial via car radio buttons, steering wheel buttons
2.Wireless Music Playback: Easy to stream music of Bluetooth devices into factory car stereo system,also cozy to control music via car radio buttons steering wheel buttons
3.Extra USB Function: Charge your phone when playing music, no worry about phone power off along your journey. This professional version also support play music from USB stick.
4.Support 3.5 mm AUX Input: Standard 3.5 mm AUX input, you can enjoy music from all AUX possible device, like MP3 player, Mobile Phone, PSP, MP4, etc.
5.Plug & Play: Installed via OEM CD changer port, integrated with the car.
6.Package Size:6.2x4.2x1.6in

I am not sure how much you are expecting for $50USD but it sounds like you may want to go the road of changing the entire head unit with a Metra kit and double DIN system. As the car approaches two decades in age your up-to-date tech options look less and less possible.
Good luck.

Could you by any chance test whether the steering wheel buttons control the media? The Metra kit is $250 + ~$100 for shipping, not to mention the cost of the HU itself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts