Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just crossed over the 100,000 mile mark and started taking a closer look at my car, still amazed at how well it's run while also hoping not to come across a ton of problems because I've hit that milestone.

One of the things I have always been meaning to do is to get some Redline transmission fluid into the car (2003 6s) because it seems like everyone swears by it.

I was about to go do it today and, of course, consulted back to this forum to make sure I got everything right. Then I noticed a post from the all-knowing Crossbow from way back:

QUOTE (crossbow @ Nov 26 2003, 08:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=173166
Usually its recommended to be wary of switching to synthetics after 75,000 miles, depending on the service of the vehicle.

This warning tends to occur because synthetics have some extremely effective detergents in them (cleaning agents) and can loosen up a rediculous amount of debris if the car wasn't maintained well. (Aka just doing manufacturer intervals).[/b]
So, like I said, I'm at 100,000 miles (over, actually) and now I'm kicking myself in the ass because I'm seeing that people are changing their fluid every 35,000! Holy crap.

Based on the above, am I now SOL as far as getting Redlin or any synthetic into my car? I looked at their site and it doesn't look like they produce anything besides a synthetic. What is the best non-synth alternative?

·
Registered
734 Posts
you will be fine switching to synthetic. perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good news! How many miles on your car? I have to get to an Advanced Auto and pick some up this week. Also need a new battery - that thing basically died at 100,000 k.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hm - I will have to check that out. I'm going to be having it changed out this week or next. A couple of people I asked about the "late" conventional to synth switch were a little iffy. The asked me if Redline made a non-synth formula. I don't know - lol.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (Front 1ine @ Aug 7 2008, 09:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1407036
Ok, so I will be changing my transmission fluid tonight. What about Royal Pruple transmission fluid? I heard its suppossed to be amazing! Also, what grade of transmission oil do we use in our car? (like how our oil is 5w-20)[/b]
Haven't heard much about RP gear oil. 75w90

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
i used to use MT90 and mobil1 oil, but about 3 years ago convrted to all amsoil products. i was happy using the other products, just after alot of research, decided to just stick with amsoil products. its all a personal choice. but i can say ill never change agan. i really am happy with the amsoil products. i do still use mobil1 in my probe amd explorer though, but thats just cause its a bit cheaper, and im not as picky with those two.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I'm getting a high pitched whine when even gently accelerating in 5th (and now a bit in 4th too). Anyone know if chaning the manual transmission oil will help? There are also some additives for worn gear boxes Nulon... Anyone tried them?
Also any idea where the plugs are if I decide to change the oil or put in an additive?
I only bought this car 2 months ago, it's beautiful and I want it to last.
Please help.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
The transmission fluid recommendation was mainly for ATX's. Because of the complexity of the valve bodies, any loose debris can easily clog passages, resulting in transmission death, if the fluid was not maintained properly.

Because MTX's don't have the same complexity of function (it's basically just gears sitting in oil), they aren't as effected. However, if you've never changed your fluid, I'd actually recommending putting in some cheaper transmission fluid for maybe 5-10k miles, THEN swapping in the synthetic fluid. That way you let the cheap fluid clean up any gunk, and then the expensive fluid takes over for longevity and liquid smoothness. Of course it's annoying to change your MTX fluid, so might as well just do it once with the synthetic and not really worry about it :).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (crossbow @ Feb 9 2009, 10:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1517108
The transmission fluid recommendation was mainly for ATX's. Because of the complexity of the valve bodies, any loose debris can easily clog passages, resulting in transmission death, if the fluid was not maintained properly.

Because MTX's don't have the same complexity of function (it's basically just gears sitting in oil), they aren't as effected. However, if you've never changed your fluid, I'd actually recommending putting in some cheaper transmission fluid for maybe 5-10k miles, THEN swapping in the synthetic fluid. That way you let the cheap fluid clean up any gunk, and then the expensive fluid takes over for longevity and liquid smoothness. Of course it's annoying to change your MTX fluid, so might as well just do it once with the synthetic and not really worry about it :).[/b]
Holy crap - CB, you came back! Thanks for your response! That was pretty much exactly what I needed to hear to make a good decision (yes, I still haven't changed it). I am looking at next week. I am over 112K now - lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
first mazda
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing