Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i attempted to wax my car for the first time ever. due to my lack of knowledge on good waxing i now have swirls. What can I do to get rid of the swirls and how can i prevent swirls in the future? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
380 Posts
First, I would suggest that you clay bar your car to remove surface contaminents. How to do this can be found on this forum or you can look to autopia.org. Once you've done this, if available use a high speed orbital buffer such a Porter Cable with swirl mark remover. There are several brands such as Meguiar's or 3M which make pretty products. If you don't have the machine, you can try these products by hand but will take much longer to get results.

What process did you use prior to applying wax?

·
Registered
42 Posts
You must polish the paint to remove the swirls. As stated above, a PC will make whis much easier. Polishing by hand is something I wouldn't want to do.

Many ways to minimize swirls: Use two buckets to wash. Use a quality wash mitt/sponge. Dry with a waffle weave microfiber or leaf blower. Don't quick detail between washes.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
While they are not that common, there are still waxes out there that are NOT clear coat safe. Make sure the one you used in not in that category. If it is - get rid of it and get a new wax.

One way to avoid swirls is to not use a circular motion to apply the wax, but to move the applicator/cloth along the axes of the vehicle. Front to back on the sides/hood/roof, side to side on the vertical portion of the trunk, etc.

Finally, when applying the wax, make sure you use a clean, applicator - whether it's one of the sponge types or a cloth doesn't matter as long as it's clean.

To get rid of the swirls, use a high quality car polish and a lot of elbow grease.

Good luck!

·
Registered
506 Posts
First you may not have put the swirl maker in the paint it my be just that you did not get all the wax off. Try washing and with a micro fiber towel dry (Cheap at Sam’s club or Costco).

Second do not clay bar. If you had trouble with just the wax then that would be a nightmare.

Third don’t use a PC they can cause more harm then help if you use the wrong products. If you are a novice just let the detail shop do the polishing until you get mare confrtable.

If you want some help go to a local detailer and let him fix it and then ask fore a fast how to with demo on how to properly wax your car.

This coming from a guy who runs is own detail shop.

If you would like more Info just ask and you shall receive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
First you may not have put the swirl maker in the paint it my be just that you did not get all the wax off. Try washing and with a micro fiber towel dry (Cheap at Sam’s club or Costco).

Second do not clay bar. If you had trouble with just the wax then that would be a nightmare.

Third don’t use a PC they can cause more harm then help if you use the wrong products. If you are a novice just let the detail shop do the polishing until you get mare confrtable.
If you want some help go to a local detailer and let him fix it and then ask fore a fast how to with demo on how to properly wax your car.

This coming from a guy who runs is own detail shop.

If you would like more Info just ask and you shall receive.
[/b]
I respectfully disagree with your comments about claying and the PC.

As long as one reads-up, follows instructions and uses plenty of lubricant, be it the supplied clay lube, a QD or even wash soap, claying is really a no-brainer. And any scuff marks that may arise by using a medium grade clay will be remedied by the next step of polishing. Fine clays (Sonus green for example) are very gentle on the paint and great to use as a maintenance clay. In my experience fine clays leave no scuff marks behind.

And the PC is very user-friendly. About the only damage that can be done by the PC is if you drop the it on the car itself. Much more common for new users is that they don't work the polish in long enough to break it down, and therefore don't get the results they expected. The PC just doesn't generate enough heat using the (norm) 6 1/2" pads to burn through paint. Perhaps using some 4" cutting pads with a compound would do it, but other than that I've never experienced, seen or read of it happening. The rotary on the other hand is a different story. You can easily ruin your paint if you don't know what you're doing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I read in consumer reports that the number one wax (according to their tests is Black Magic. It i sa little hard to put on but it is supposed to last longer and prevent swirling. I am gonna try it. It beat maguires and the other expensive waxes. Its about 6 bucks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I read in consumer reports that the number one wax (according to their tests is Black Magic. It i sa little hard to put on but it is supposed to last longer and prevent swirling. I am gonna try it. It beat maguires and the other expensive waxes. Its about 6 bucks.
[/b]
From the report...

"Even the top-rated Black Magic Liquid Wet Shine Liquid Wax (BM48016) required an extra bit of buffing to eliminate any streaking. And CR’s other best all-around choice, the Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6, can cause slight scratching or hazing on newer dark-colored finishes."

Kind of scary that their top two picks were difficult to apply/remove and one actually caused marring and hazing.

Really, a wax should not be difficult to put on and should NEVER cause marring. There's no excuse for that when there are waxes that apply easily, remove easily, look great and last a decent amount of time. You may want to give this a read beforehand...
http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product...onsumer+reports

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Does anyone where to get the clay? I bought a clay bar last time and I got a lot of lubricant left so I don't feel like buying the whole package again...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does anyone where to get the clay? I bought a clay bar last time and I got a lot of lubricant left so I don't feel like buying the whole package again...
[/b]
OTC, I haven't come across a store that sells clay bars individually. Online there are many sites that do.

·
Registered
506 Posts
[/b]

call Zep and they can sell 1 or the case. This is the best stuff i have ever used.

Phone#1-877-428-9937

I'm at work now or i would put the price up. I buy it by the case of 6 bars.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From the report...

"Even the top-rated Black Magic Liquid Wet Shine Liquid Wax (BM48016) required an extra bit of buffing to eliminate any streaking. And CR’s other best all-around choice, the Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6, can cause slight scratching or hazing on newer dark-colored finishes."

Kind of scary that their top two picks were difficult to apply/remove and one actually caused marring and hazing.

Really, a wax should not be difficult to put on and should NEVER cause marring. There's no excuse for that when there are waxes that apply easily, remove easily, look great and last a decent amount of time. You may want to give this a read beforehand...
http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product...onsumer+reports
[/b]

Point taken. So what do you recommend?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Point taken. So what do you recommend?
[/b]

Just to name a few, I've had great success with waxes and sealants from Poorboy's, Pinnacle, Clearkote and Finish Kare. All are easy to apply, easy to remove, won't stain trim, and have a very nice look. For a reasonably priced paste wax, Poorboy's Natty's Blue is very good. For a resonably priced liquid wax, ClearKote Carnauba Moose Wax is a good one. For a very wet look, Pinnacle Souveran paste is tough to beat, but it is expensive and durability is not its strength. This is a very short list of suggestions of carnauba waxes without even touching upon sealants. There are many more great brands: Duragloss, Collinite, DP, and on.

Here's an example of what to expect from proper prep and a quality wax/sealant...

Souveran paste on a G35

Poorboy's EX-P on a 300SE

A combo of Four Star UPP sealant and Duragloss Aquawax on my Speed6

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree Autopia is the place to be if you need detailing advise. If I were you with your limited knowledge I would use Duragloss products.

1. get their car wash
2. use their swirl mark remover
3. get their Bonding agent and their TP105 polish
4. Most definately get their Aqua wax spray sealant.

All easy to use inexpensive and high quality.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My Son ordered some products for me and my MS6 from the following link: lotsa product and good information also.
http://www.autogeek.net/index.html

For christmas I got some of Wolfgangs Concours-series products, with the Pinnacle Souveran paste wax. Anyone ever use these products? comments ? suggestions?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Son ordered some products for me and my MS6 from the following link: lotsa product and good information also.
http://www.autogeek.net/index.html

For christmas I got some of Wolfgangs Concours-series products, with the Pinnacle Souveran paste wax. Anyone ever use these products? comments ? suggestions?[/b]

I can't comment on the Wolfgang products, as I haven't used them myself (although I have read positive things about them on detailing forums). As for Souveran paste, it's an extremely easy to apply/remove wax that gives a great look to dark colors. It doesn't last all that long, but the look is really nice on dark colors while it lasts. For silver, white or other light colors I don't think it's worth the extra cost. When I had a silver car I really couldn't tell much of a difference between souveran and something like NB or FK pink wax.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts