Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a wireless charger for the car that actually looks reasonable - if you haven't ever looked for them, they're usually pretty big and bulky.

I funded an indiegogo campaign a while ago called The Air Dock, and it's a Qi-compatible charger that fits exactly where I envisioned it. It arrived on Friday and I am in love with it. The base of the charger sits inside the tray under the AC controls, which allows the cords to be hidden without any extra work. I chose the bendy arm, and the combo of the sticky suction and the angle of the bendy arm secure it really firmly in that position under the dash. It's low, yes, but I sit low in the seat so it's not bad. I also sit with my hand on the gear shift, so touching the phone is really accessible and easy.

Anyway, it's fantastic. I'd been looking for an acceptable phone mount for this car for a while now, and I thought some of you might as well!

More details and photos in my post:
New Toys: The Air Dock | it's about bre.

PS I am not associated with Air Dock at all, I just am super pumped to have found a charger/mount that looks good in this car and wanted to share!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm confused. How does the mount get power? I see a dual USB powerpoint on the site but it seems like a gooseneck mount that jacks directly into the powerpoint and then magnetically holds and charges the phone would be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@eyedocorlando : It's not my purse hanging off the shifter, it's a little trashbag I made (hello, Sally Homemaker!). Not super sleek, but it's way better than me throwing my gum wrappers and receipts somewhere and forgetting to take them out of the car when I get out!
@jazzdab : It gets power through a 2.1A adapter plugged into the cig lighter socket in there. From there, it goes USB > microUSB into the faceplate. This is the only charger that is both magnetic and has wireless capabilities that I've found so far, and believe me, I've looked. It seems like a no-brainer to me too. Other than this one, I've only seen some DIY options that do this kind of thing- none that are ready for me to buy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, not unless your knee knocks against that corner anyway. It doesn't stick out far from the car's profile. Even if I lean my legs to the right, I don't even come close to hitting it. I'm only 5'6", though, so I guess it could potentially be an issue for taller people.

I also wanted to mount it down there so I didn't have to mess with hiding wires or seeing exposed cables.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I really like that! I wasn't in the market for a wireless charger, but now I kind of want one lol. I read on the website that the long flexible mount has a suction cup that can only stick to glass. How did you attach it to the rubbery floor of the compartment in which you have it mounted? Or is it just wedged in there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The suction cup itself only sticks to glass, but it comes with a sticky pad that attaches to the bottom of the suction cup to assist in sticking to your dash or whatever other surface. The texture of the inside of that console isn't super conducive to that, still, so wedging it in there with the help of that bendy arm is definitely helping - not sure it'd stay in position if it didn't have both the sticky base holding it in place and the bendy arm pressing down from the underside of the climate control area.

However, it would attach way better if that textured area weren't textured... I wonder if the inside of that console can be smoothed somehow or removed completely without looking like a disaster. Has anyone messed with that?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just curious if anyone else bought the Airdock and would mind sharing their experience. I would also love to see a few more pictures of their set up. Haven't quite gotten around to buying one yet, but still pretty interested.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The airdock is pretty cool but keep in mind that if you use wireless charging with your phone as GPS, it'll drain the battery faster than it charges since wireless charging delivers less juice to your phone than a straight plug-in.

Right now, I just use a cheap $11 wireless charger and positioned it just right in the dash console area so I can slide my phone in and it starts charging :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,656 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
The airdock is pretty cool but keep in mind that if you use wireless charging with your phone as GPS, it'll drain the battery faster than it charges since wireless charging delivers less juice to your phone than a straight plug-in.

Right now, I just use a cheap $11 wireless charger and positioned it just right in the dash console area so I can slide my phone in and it starts charging :D
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't think of that. I have GPS in my car so I only use GPS through the phone on occasion when the TomTom can't find an address (annoying!). Still good to know though. What would happen if I plugged in a wired charger while my phone was charging on the Airdock? Would it charge twice as fast (thereby avoiding the GPS drain issue) or would one charging method override the other?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the screen is on, the phone will discharge more quickly than it charges. For short times of having my screen on to navigate, I find it's ok. However, if I were to want to keep the screen on for hours, I'd probably opt to plug in directly. The same goes for when my phone is nearly dead or I need a quick charge - plugging in gives a faster charge. I've been messing with my screen brightness settings to see if there's a sweet spot that will allow me to keep the screen on and keep charging (instead of discharging more slowly).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't think of that. I have GPS in my car so I only use GPS through the phone on occasion when the TomTom can't find an address (annoying!). Still good to know though. What would happen if I plugged in a wired charger while my phone was charging on the Airdock? Would it charge twice as fast (thereby avoiding the GPS drain issue) or would one charging method override the other?
The phone shuts off the wireless charging. Prolly so that phone won't overheat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Also FYI, I'm now having a little bit of problem with the suction sticking to the textured surface inside the console under the radio. I need to get my brain storming to figure out a better way to attach it in there.

Edit: My storming brain figured out that it sticks well to the underside of the console!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I got this and mounted it with a bracket under/behind the center vents in my 3 and installed a 2.4A USB charger/voltmeter (but in white) next to the stock USB/AUX and use a short USB to power it. Although the clamp type is easier when changing cases, i liked the attached one because the phone sits higher and doesnt interfere with 1,3,5th gears.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
12 Participants
salasjairo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing