Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the voltage of the signal for the steering wheel controls? I believe someone informed me it was 5v, but I just want to double check.

I plan on tapping a relay to the change track buttons on the steering wheel. It’s for a carputer project.

Second question is how to actually take the steering wheel control panel off, so I can get at the wires… anyone have a diagram or how-to?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know the voltage of the signal for the steering wheel controls? I believe someone informed me it was 5v, but I just want to double check.

I plan on tapping a relay to the change track buttons on the steering wheel. It’s for a carputer project.

Second question is how to actually take the steering wheel control panel off, so I can get at the wires… anyone have a diagram or how-to?
Thanks!
I just wanted to check.... Do you know that SWC wire is a single wire with different voltage/resistance when each command is pressed?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wanted to check.... Do you know that SWC wire is a single wire with different voltage/resistance when each command is pressed?
i just found that out with the wiring diagrams like an hour after i posted.

Looks like i'll have to cut the damned wires, craaaaaaap. I just wanted to tap into it :(

Anyways, left it untouched in case anyone has any ideas where to grab the cables to cut and put my hackboard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd say it's way more than grabbing the correct wires. If you're using it as a carputer, then you'd; A. need to create the software to properly use the commands and B. create the hardware for the computer to receive those input voltages/resistances.

You know? Sounds like a good project tho.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say it's way more than grabbing the correct wires. If you're using it as a carputer, then you'd; A. need to create the software to properly use the commands and B. create the hardware for the computer to receive those input voltages/resistances.

You know? Sounds like a good project tho.
No, i know what I'm doing past that point.

I was just mislead by someone else into thinking that the buttons sent out a 5v signal, so that's what I assumed. I am wiring the button through to a 10-key processor board, which will be wired directly through to a usb port. Will interpret simple commands for change track, switch mode (just changing it to random). and that's about it. volume keys already work fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts