Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already ! What sway bar will do for my daily driven M6 v6 MTX Sedan '05 ? I don't go to the track , and I don't need over (too much) over-steer 'cause of this .
How much is needed in mm increase over stock to have THE RIGHT amount ?
Which is better solid or hollow (I tend to think solid) ?
Some are choosing to go with only the rear and choosing to keep the front stock . Plz explain .

Which one would you pick from the choices below (frt/rr or only rr or frt) over stock and WHY ?? :

Mazda 6 STOCK : frt 23.0 mm / rr 19.0 mm _____
MAZDASPEED... : frt 26.5 mm / rr 22.5 mm SOLID (rr two-position adjustable-supposedly)
EIBACH ........... : frt 27.0 mm / rr 22.0 mm _____
RACING BEAT .. : frt 28.5 mm / rr 27.0 mm SOLID

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=794725

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
a lot of people don't want to swap front sway as the price isn't justified for the difference in drive would be my guess. i personally am ordering a pair of racing beat sway bars from online for 239.00. :)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
the racing beat sway bar set is what you want.

both on, its a hint of understeer at the limit.

the rear on only, makes a very fun car to drive.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a lot of people don't want to swap front sway as the price isn't justified for the difference in drive would be my guess. i personally am ordering a pair of racing beat sway bars from online for 239.00. :)
[/b]
Check this member's reply http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=672445

Arch , you say a hint ..... how much does that improve on the stock set-up on a scale from one to ten-ten being least understeer ?
And WHY , in your own words , was it THE choice for YOU (installed frt + rr or just rr ?) , & why would this be the choice for MOI (me) !?

To all who are doing this mod , you will need much improved (over stock) end links .... there is a GB here :
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...=56137&st=0

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
i would go with the racing beats. to this day it has been the single best improvement to the drivability, and feel of my 6. and its not too harsh either. my wife now drives my car, and her only gripe to this day has been how low the car is. but that is only do to speed bumps. nothing to do with the ride.

but like i mentioned, if you attempt the install, you need to have a faily good mechanical knowledge, an extra set of hands, and some time. because it is time consuming. and not something i would recommend to the average diy'er. thus the reason i never did do a write up. i feel this is too difficult for most to attempt.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for the replies , RB do seem a good deal here http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda/miata/60-1001.html and apparently are a trusted shop for service .

I am wondering if I got my hands on one of these RB bars frt & rr .... I will be doin' MS springs next w-end DIY style with a colleague who's used to doin' this install .... would it be extra work (like I really should wait) to do the bars at a later time (the front would be done at a mechanic's prof. garage) like for the rears ; do I need to re-take apart once more the springs to install DIY style the rear bar ? .... if not related work (bar/springs) then that would be great 'cause I want my springs on yesterday !

The RB are getting my attention price/engineering-wise ........ now spec-wise (mm), for my above stated application , remains to be known , as I don't know how much is too much .... or does the expression ''too much is never enough'' apply here (mm-wise) ? So what do you guys think about all this , 28.5mm frt / 27.0mm rr not too thick for daily driving and occasional spirited zoom zoom ? Will I notice a difference off-the-bat in normal driving from the stockers (do I need curve-bashing to see diff. ?) or will the MS springs be enough ? Just don't want to spend on unfelt mods . Help me see clearer with all of this , plz .

One thing I am worried about is f/up the steering , which in my opinion is responsive to my liking (magazines compare it to the BMW 3 series) . Now if it will improve upon it then it's a go . But perceptions are different among individuals . Now if evreyone says positively on the same SET-UP frt + rr ; then we're getting somewhere !

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I had the Mazdaspeed sways installed on m wagon, unfortunately I wasn't fully able to test them due to the rain. If the weather gets better, will take a run to Mid-Ohio and put them to the test on the track and give my overall impressions of them.

It is true that the rear has two settings.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I had the Mazdaspeed sways installed on m wagon, unfortunately I wasn't fully able to test them due to the rain. If the weather gets better, will take a run to Mid-Ohio and put them to the test on the track and give my overall impressions of them.

It is true that the rear has two settings.
[/b]
Can't wait to see the impressions...

3.5MM on the front is going to reduce a lot of body roll...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i wonder if i bought the mazdaspeed sways if mazda would install them lol. i'm thinking RB though as at 239 that's impossible to beat. i mean they're just as good if not better than the mazda one's and even on GB those are 315.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
you dont need to take out the sway bars to replace the springs. you can install them in either order really,

springs are really not hard to do on this car.

·
Registered
814 Posts
msumlin look forward to that .

Arch , thx
[/b]
Me too! Although, I hope its a positive feedback being that I ordered mine last week, and they should be here soon. I will most likely have mazda install them when I go for an oil change next week.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Already ! What sway bar will do for my daily driven M6 v6 MTX Sedan '05 ? I don't go to the track , and I don't need over (too much) over-steer 'cause of this .
[/b]
Do the MS springs 1st so you can see what they do, vs bars.

If you get a lots of snow, I'd pass on RB bar(s). You want weight on all 4 tires, and a stiff bar set will encourage diagonal wheel loading on uneven roads. Regardless of snow, effective high single wheel rates due to stiff bars would work best with koni's, and quickly wear out oem shocks.

Many have liked the Progress 24mm rear bar. RB engineering was asleep when they designed the rear bar ... Progress is a much better fit, and should be a great match with MS springs for less understeer. But try just springs for a month.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Well I have to say, that Mazdaspeed Accessories has done it again! If you loved their springs, the short shifter, you'll love the sways. I took my wagon out to see what difference the sways made, all I have to say is the handling improved 1000%! The body roll was significantly reduced and the understeer as well.

The overall balance of the car, even under normal driving is noticable. If you've ordered these, I know you'll love the difference they make, especially if you have the springs. For the members that came to the Mid-Ohio and made the run up to the dam, that is where I tested the sways and they did what they were supposed to do.

I can only imagine what they will do on the sedan and hatch, as they are so much lighter than the wagon. There is only one thing left to do, add Konis to the package and then possibly perfection can be achieved!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woe ! msumlin , you're quick ; wasn't expecting you at the track so soon !
Looks like you tipped the scale here on this thread with this road & track test !
How much labor did it co$t you , how much time were you quoted at ?? Dealer installed ?
The 2-position-adjust for the rear bar , how do you use it & in what real applications for ?

So the additional 3.5mm does make a big diff. like Wiggum says and you confirming it on the track .
Would anymore thickness be justified and how so ?
Perceptions vary among individuals , but true track tests as msumlin's only confirm product is true to its nature .
Not saying others are this or that , who am I to know ! I'm the one trying to figure all of this out and make another purchase mod to enhance and put a smile .

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
racing beat > mazdaspeed.

im serious.

my review= 20autox sessions + 1.5 track sessions.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Woe ! msumlin , you're quick ; wasn't expecting you at the track so soon !
Looks like you tipped the scale here on this thread with this road & track test !
How much labor did it co$t you , how much time were you quoted at ?? Dealer installed ?
The 2-position-adjust for the rear bar , how do you use it & in what real applications for ?

So the additional 3.5mm does make a big diff. like Wiggum says and you confirming it on the track .
Would anymore thickness be justified and how so ?
Perceptions vary among individuals , but true track tests as msumlin's only confirm product is true to its nature .
Not saying others are this or that , who am I to know ! I'm the one trying to figure all of this out and make another purchase mod to enhance and put a smile .
[/b]
I am happy with the overall combination of the front and rear sways, IMHO they are perfect for my set up. Bigger is not always better, if the front limits the body roll of my wagon, think what it will do for the sedan or the hatch. The same can be said for the rear, as far as the understeer aspect of our cars.

I will be at Road Atlanta, I will see if I can get Randy Pobst and Charles Espenlaub to drive the car as well as some other drivers that I have come to be friends with, in the SWC series.

As far as costs, it costs me nothing, as I get to test products for Mazdaspeed accessories. In addition, I get all my parts from my dealer @ employee costs. It took the tech about 45 minutes for the sways, as he is a suspension expert.

Some people might think I am biased because of my relationship with Mazda, but if they produced a crap product, they would get a bad review and I wouldn't keep it on my car(s)! I was the first to have the wagon/hatch springs on my wagon, look how many members have gone on to put those on their 6's!

The choice of course is up to the individual, but the way the wagon handles with the spring /sway combination by Mazdaspeed is right on!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Three SWC drivers will drive my wagon with the Mazdaspeed sways and give me their opinions. Randy Pobst of Tri-Point, Charles Espenlaub of Tindol Motorsports and Chip Herr of Stasis Engineering team. I figure who better than professionals to give their expert opinion on how the car handles.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Three SWC drivers will drive my wagon with the Mazdaspeed sways and give me their opinions. Randy Pobst of Tri-Point, Charles Espenlaub of Tindol Motorsports and Chip Herr of Stasis Engineering team. I figure who better than professionals to give their expert opinion on how the car handles.
[/b]
Top notch drivers! Some like Pobst may have some insight into springs vs bar vs mega-rear-bars on fwd cars on track. As I have said, I rarely see swc fwd cars lift a rear on a corner, but always see it at national autox events, where a mega rear has it's place.

Is your rear bar set at stiff or firm? Would be great to test both settings at the track.

Wagon Curb Weight: Note that in 05, Mazda listed the wagon at just 10 lbs heavier than 6S hatches. Your not as porky as you think, vs hatches.

Sedan 6S is about 150 lbs lighter (in rear), and Sedan 6i is another 150 lbs lighter (in front).

http://grohol.com/mazda/mazda6-specifications/

·
Registered
436 Posts
Very interested to hear what they say. I am looking forward to addings some sways to my wagon in the spring.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts