Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY I AM ALSO THINKING ABOUT TRADING IN MY 2004 MAZDA 6 SPORT

IT HAS 40,000 MILES AND 35000 MILES LEFT TILL MY WARRANTY IS OUT.
I AM THINKING ABOUT TRADING IN MY 6S FOR A MAZDASPEED 6 OR MAZDA RX8

I LIKE THE RX8 BUT FOR A 1.3L ROTARTY IT GETS THE SAME MPG(18/24) AS THE MAZDASPEED6

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK SHOULD I KEEP MY 6S OR TRADE IT IN FOR WHICH?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I traded my 04 RX-8 for a 06 6i last weekend (baby on the way and i'm buying my first house). I never got better than 15mpg but I loved everything else about the car. I never had any problems with it and it had decent power.

I would probably go for an MS6 with the deals that are out right now. You can get $8k off sticker price.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Drive both then decide which is better for you. Personally they are both good fun cars. It comes down to which one fits you better.

·
Registered
198 Posts
rx8= sports car want to be, and a little on the ugly side. Its a rotary so you will have to always be watching the maintence I want to love it, but its just a little to ugly, and a little too underpowered.

between the two I would go MS6, as im sure you could def. get a good deal on them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
These two cars are not even in the same class......

The RX8 is a showier car but does not suffice as a "powerful" car. Its a little cramped I think too, practicality wise. I do think it looks a little nicer than a sedan with a HUGE front grill and ugly @$$ wheels(aka those spokey MS6 wheels), but hands down i would pick up a speed becuase:

270+ hp, AWD, and a sedan with leather and the goodies does not compare to a single trac sports car-esque coupe.

ones for speed, ones for basically show. People also keep referring to the 1.3 rotary engine as its some piece, well it may only be 1.3 liters, but it gives output better than that so do not judge it based on its liters and its dislikable 130hp, but more on how it drives with your foot on the pedal.

oh yea, dont buy any of these cars for mileage, just buy a 6i if you want mileage.

·
Registered
940 Posts
but does the Mazdaspeed 6 get the advertiesed mpg as well??
[/b]
Depends on who you ask (and how they drive) - I consistently get 23 - 27 mpg (sometimes higher if I am not getting on it too much) - I drive mostly highway though.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I've driven both. The Speed6 is faster and does have more room, but the RX8 was more engaging. It felt like a "driver's" car. Personally I would go with the Speed6 between the two just because I need the extra room for my kid.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you can, get the speed6. At least if I could I would. You get all the practicailty of a sedan, and the damn thing is fast.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Think about it. The rotary if you watch it the Demo video on Mazda's website has about 4 stages to each rotor. 4 times 2 is 8. It has the gas consumption of a v8 I believe unless my logic is off. Its gas is way below advertised, and depending on how you drive the speed6, you can get better, same, or slightly worse gas mileage.

And speed 6 hands down. you don't want an rx-8 till maintenance goes down, gas consumptino goes down, and power and room go up.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Think about it. The rotary if you watch it the Demo video on Mazda's website has about 4 stages to each rotor. 4 times 2 is 8. It has the gas consumption of a v8 I believe unless my logic is off. Its gas is way below advertised, and depending on how you drive the speed6, you can get better, same, or slightly worse gas mileage.

And speed 6 hands down. you don't want an rx-8 till maintenance goes down, gas consumptino goes down, and power and room go up.
[/b]
What are these four stages you're talking about?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
get the eight if you have any intentions of autoxin..

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
+1, the Speed6 might be faster but the RX8 to me is way more fun on twisty roads. A RX8 isn't slow, with a good driver it can run mid 14s in stock form. Of course it will need a high rev launch to achieve that.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I traded in my '06 RX8 Sport for the MS6 GT and I have NO regrets. The RX8 handles better "50/50" weight distribution but as far as low end torque (even with reflash) the MS6 pulls harder.

The RX8 drives like a sports car vs MS6 handles like a fast sedan. I knew about gas/oil consumption but I was filling up the RX8 every other day. The best combined gas mileage I got was just under 17 mpg., but the trade off was the Rotary engine; super smooth and fast in the upper RPMs.

Aftermarket upgrades add up to small gains in HP. If you add a turbo to the RX8, you void your factory warranty. With all that being said, if my RX8 would of never started leaking like a sieve, I would still be driving it.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I get 22-24 mpg in my Speed6 routinely. If you're even thinking of an RX8, the practicality is not an issue with you. I was for me. I have a wife and two year old and a car that will outrun and outhandle a WRX... with a carseat in the back :yesnod: . Oh yea, it has LATCH - triple dog wife points.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts