Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Even being a Noob I know that this question and topic comes up all too often, but I need help.I have heard all too many times that this swap (V6 to 2.3l awd disi turbo) is just not worth it and too expensive but lets not bring that up because I just need an answer. I have located a dirt cheap mazdaspeed engine, ECU, tranny and differential where I live ($1200!!!!) and this is my dream engine so i really want to know what i could do with this and what I will need to complete the swap. My biggest worries are the electrical system (ECU CanBus), wiring and BCM,,, What problems will I encounter, how do I fix it and finally a parts list for this to happen... Please save the "Turbo your V6 Bro" and help me out, thanking you all in advance!!!

Jewls

·
Registered
295 Posts
best bet is to sell that to members on here and make a profit, i think its wayyyyyy to much work. i can only imagine how many other things you would need, and then all the things you need that you forgot about.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
turbo your v6 bro

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
motor mounts, exhaust, p/s pump, altenator, fuel pump, water pump, throttle body, manifold, front axles, tranny lines, rerout fuel lines,ignition system... the list goes on and on. If your actually serious about this then expect to shell out a shit ton of cash. none of these parts are cheap. Its nice and all you got that stuff for cheap but the rest of the stuff will make it a far more expensive project then its worth. But hey if you got the cash and really wanna swap it then go for it.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Considering the Speed6 is not the same car underneath as the North American 6, all of those drivetrain parts will do you no good without modifying the chassis to fit. Go check out GTSpec - their Speed6 suspension braces do not fit the NA 6. I emailed and asked them specifically when I was interested in the rear suspension X-brace.

No way it makes sense money-wise. You'll end-up with a butchered Mazda6 - which is not collectible, desirable, or headed for value down the road. And it will have a cobbled-up chassis and suspension to fit a drivetrain that is also not anything important.

It's not like sticking a 427 into a '71 Chevelle...... You're just wasting time and money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, I thought it was more possible then that... does the back really change that much as far as suspension? i thought that all that was to be changed was hub and bearings to house the axel shafts? p.s. the motor comes with all that stuff (throttle body, mounts, ignition etc)

·
Registered
148 Posts
not worth it. not only is teh whole drivetrain swap just stupid to even attempt but then you have all the wiring the play with.

like i said in your other thread.. boost the v6 or sell it and get a real speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I respect what you are saying, but are we playing with facts or just assumptions... like any frame or model of a car, it doesnt really change from its options, the speed 6 is not a different model and the frame seems to be the exact same... the wiring should be the same as long as you have the harness from the engine... it wouldnt make sense for a company such as mazda do recreate everything for the same car twice, please correct me if i'm wrong

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
well you would be the first... and to be a pioneer is to experiment and spend the most time and money... im pretty sure its cheaper to buy a speed6 than all the parts/labor needed for a swap.

·
Registered
45 Posts
you're talking major $$$$$$$$$ here, butchered chassis, ect ect ect

i wouldn't even try it.

id rather do an rx-7 2jz swap than this

and that would probably be cheaper to do

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I respect what you are saying, but are we playing with facts or just assumptions... like any frame or model of a car, it doesnt really change from its options, the speed 6 is not a different model and the frame seems to be the exact same... the wiring should be the same as long as you have the harness from the engine... it wouldnt make sense for a company such as mazda do recreate everything for the same car twice, please correct me if i'm wrong

If you have enough money, anything is possible. In a nutshell, the basic chassis is the same, BUT:

1) Fuel tank is majorly different to allow rear drive shaft
2) Chassis bracing added in rear and front. Cross bracing under dash
3) Engine AND chassis wiring harnesses different for DISI and AWD control

Note that the Speed6 is assembled in Japan and imported where other 6 are not... If you had a complete Speed6 as a parts source, you could convert a "regular" 6, but when done you will have a bastardized "not really" a Speed6 car where the VIN is wrong and a pile of "regular" parts left over. If you want a DISI, just buy a used Speed6 as it will be exponentially cheaper...

I can't see any positive point from the "excercism", but I also see no rationale for the gigantic wings on an otherwise stock civic with auto trans either, so....

Reactions: TiGraySpeed6

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Screw it. Find an RX-3 and transplant the drivetrain into (it). In reality it's probably less money. Sharper car. More fun. Worth more when you finish. Won't be run of the mill. Heck, just use the motor in it and set-up as RWD only.....

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Thanks Forzda great response.... KarlT10, could I transplant the motor and do a FWD setup?
Sure. I have zero idea how Ford/Mazda do their bolt patterns on trannies though.... Zero idea what bolts to that block, and what it would involve then to bolt it to the car.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts