Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new here and i own a mazda 6 from 2007 i want to change the oem halogen to oem xenon.
I noticed that de oem Xenon headlights have an extra plug, can anyone tell me what that plug is for?

Someone already posted something like this but there was no reaction to that post so thats why i'm asking again, i added a picture of the headlight.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Xenon is a gas, not a bulb, do you mean HID? Cause thats not an HID housing.
There are actually Xenon light bulbs out there and those classify as HID. The Mazda 6 Gen I has HID but not Xenon.
As stated in this article, HID's need to warm up to reach full brightness (like mine do), Xenon doesn't.
How would you call a Xenon filled light bulb? I'd call it Xenon...

Hello I'm new here and i own a mazda 6 from 2007 i want to change the oem halogen to oem xenon.
I noticed that de oem Xenon headlights have an extra plug, can anyone tell me what that plug is for?
Let's call them HID's, not Xenon's so everyone is happy... 😄 The Mazda 6 didn't come with... Xenon filled light bulbs.
Can't recognize your flag/location, I know many European models equipped with halogens also have the headlight in-cabin adjustment feature, what do you have?
If that plug is accessible, I could disconnect it tonight to see what stops working but it could very well be the adjustment motor, as already said.

·
Registered
699 Posts
There are actually Xenon light bulbs out there and those classify as HID. The Mazda 6 Gen I has HID but not Xenon.
And that is why I clearly said, Gen I.

·
Rally Racer
3,503 Posts
I am going to add to my earlier statement that I believe it is a manual headlight level adjuster.
I think all vehicles in the European domestic market (not sure where you are) that came equipped with non-halogen bulbs had to have an automatic leveler. My Europe wiring manual shows this hardware located at the rear underside of the vehicle and I believe it is this plug that integrates with that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade but I just have to ask WHY? The HID lights are way expensive, and offer no advantage over cheaper alternatives. We replaced our Mazda 3 Xenon housings with inexpensive regular housings and installed LED bulbs. This cost a fraction of what new HID housings and bulbs would have cost. The light output matches the pure white of the HID's, and the output is even brighter. In my opinion, this is a far better option, cheaper, and easier. But to each his own I guess.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I just went and checked. My 2006 with (non-Xenon filled 😂) factory HID's does not have that plug. That is the radiator side of the headlight, right?
That would also be the opposite side of the HID bulb section so it wouldn't be to control the height of it.
The other plug (the bigger one) looks exactly the same.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
There are Xenon halogen (you could buy them in the 90s in the square glass bulbs even) and Xenon HID bulbs. Every 6 has projector housings, but they don't fit both HID and non HID bulbs. This is why i asked, cause there's no ballast housing in that pic. But i think @DrFeelGood is right about the Euro spec for leveling regardless of bulb type.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As stated in this article, HID's need to warm up to reach full brightness (like mine do), Xenon doesn't.
How would you call a Xenon filled light bulb? I'd call it Xenon...

Let's call them HID's, not Xenon's so everyone is happy... 😄 The Mazda 6 didn't come with... Xenon filled light bulbs.
Can't recognize your flag/location, I know many European models equipped with halogens also have the headlight in-cabin adjustment feature, what do you have?
If that plug is accessible, I could disconnect it tonight to see what stops working but it could very well be the adjustment motor, as already said.
Hello,
I'm from The Netherlands and i have the headlight in-cabin adjustment but i think the cables are integrated in the main plug but i will check it this weekend when i'm installing the headlight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going to add to my earlier statement that I believe it is a manual headlight level adjuster.
I think all vehicles in the European domestic market (not sure where you are) that came equipped with non-halogen bulbs had to have an automatic leveler. My Europe wiring manual shows this hardware located at the rear underside of the vehicle and I believe it is this plug that integrates with that.
Hello I'm from The Netherlands,
Can i have a copy of the wiring manual or a link where i can find it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello,

I Installed the HID Units and they work only the headlight level adjuster doesn't like most of you said, i will try next week to use that plug to connect to the headlight level adjuster switch in the cabin.
if that works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts