Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a month ago I sent my CP-E headers to Swain Technologies to get them coated with their White Lightning (TBC-EX) Exhaust Coating. It took longer than I expected, but I finally got them back today. The quality of the coating seems outstanding and they look fantastic. I'm very happy with the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Is this a thermal coating or rust-proofing?

If it's rust proofing it won't do you much good. Flex pipes are always the first thing to break and obviously you can't coat them. I suggest spraying BBQ paint on the inside and try to coat the flex pipe. On the outside cover, and I mean cover, it in either lithium, or axel, or silicon grease to try and help prevent it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Still wanna think about it maybe. Those flex pipes man....

I've replaced the exhaust system on my MX-6 like 3 times and the flex pipe like 5 times at least. I forgot to say though, it looks really nice and professional!!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The picture doesn't do it justice. It looks outstanding in person. I would have attached a pic with better resolution, but there is a size limit. Didn't feel like posting to Image Shack either. Lazy me.

Yeah. The flex pipe does present a problem, but like you said, no coating will work on it. I'm wondering if high-temp paint would work on the outside of the flex pipe or a high-temp grease as you suggest. More research is definitely necessary before I do anything though.

At any rate, I wouldn't expect the flex pipe to rust through that quickly. It would likely take years for that to happen (crosses fingers).

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No coating on the inside. Some stuff they do get the inside, but I told them to use their best judgement as I wasn't exactly sure if it was possible. I believe their policy is to not coat the inside unless they can properly prepare it which requires sand blasting perpendicular to the surface to be coated. Without proper prep, the coating won't adhere. I don't think having it flake off would be a good thing.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?&amp...mod&id=6560

Crucial Racing can prep and coat on the inside as well, and they had a process to do the flex pipe also.
[/b]
The pipes in that pic don't look like they are coated on the inside, but maybe I just can't see it. I've read good things about both Crucial Racing and Swain Tech, but I went with Swain Tech for the durability/ thickness and reputation of the coating. People say that coating the inside is beneficial, but I don't know if I would trust that stuff not flaking off at some point. It would also be impossible to know if they actually got a uniform coating on the entire inside of the pipe either since you can't see inside.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Im sorry for being a noob about this in advance, but could anyone explain the damages that could result to the flex pipe headers? The CP-E headers are a major upgrade that I'm very much considering, but at $900 for a pair, I don't want it to crap out on me and have to replace or revert back to stock later down the line. I want these things to last and coating them would extend their life right?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
jayson 900 dollars is just for the actual headers.. if you want the y pipe also its gonna end up costing near 1400 dollars.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ +1

$900 for the headers (front, back & down pipe) + $500 for the y-pipe with cats.

The coating helps to keep the heat in, resulting in lower temps in the engine bay. It also prevents rust, corrosion and metal fatigue. Take a look at the Swain Tech web site. Lots of good information there.

I'm still not sure what to do about the flex pipe. High heat ceramic paint looks like the best option at this point, but there may not even be a problem as it would take some time for it to rust enough to break.

·
Registered
181 Posts
they look too pretty. too bad no one will ever see them...

You should put some mirrors or something on the bottom of the car so people can see them as you pass by...

:)

hope they work out!!!

{edit} - be interesting to see the temp diffs...once you get them installed.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know. It is a shame that no one will see them.

My AutoEnginuity just arrived last week, so I should be able to get some idea of engine bay temps based on a number of different readings.

But who knows, they may be sitting in my garage next year at this time if the O2 sensor extensions don't come in. If that happens, everyone's welcome to cover over and look at them. I will even supply the beer! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Slv6sPitt
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing