Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually done a intake manifold swap from an SVT Contour onto a Mazda 6 succesfully,or has anyone even tried this?I did a search and only came up with a custom intake that Wagner motorsports made.I have access to one of these and have contemplated doing a swap.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Here is a previous discussion on intake manifolds and some of the difficulities one faces when trying to swap them from one application to another. Interesting read if you haven't seen it already. So the short answer to your question is no, it hasn't be attempted (as far as I know anyway).

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well,i guess i will start looking at if it is possible to swap to our V6's and keep people posted on my progress,I have a different engine buildup that i am going to be working on that will be possible with the standalone ems that will soon be availible.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Has anyone actually done a intake manifold swap from an SVT Contour onto a Mazda 6 succesfully,or has anyone even tried this?I did a search and only came up with a custom intake that Wagner motorsports made.I have access to one of these and have contemplated doing a swap.
[/b]

Why make things difficult for no benefit? Are you going to fill in the ovalport head intake? All of the EGR and other electronics. The plastic mazda intake I'm sure is smooth on the inside. Plastic also transfers heat better so less heat soak. Doubt you would gain much of anything. SVT split port heads also have injectors with a different spray pattern compared to the ovalport.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Fordman was eventually gonna take a cast aluminum manifold and port it IIRC, but he's no longer a 6 owner.
[/b]
Fordman is still a 2000 Ford Taurus cast aluminum intake manifold owner however. After the wedding in December and if I can ever keep any kind of management staff at my store, I can actually dedicate some time to finishing it and send it to someone to test.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Why make things difficult for no benefit? Are you going to fill in the ovalport head intake? All of the EGR and other electronics. The plastic mazda intake I'm sure is smooth on the inside. Plastic also transfers heat better so less heat soak. Doubt you would gain much of anything. SVT split port heads also have injectors with a different spray pattern compared to the ovalport.
[/b]
The reason is because our plastic manifolds suck and flow unevenly. So there is plenty of benefit, such as not leaning out one side of your engine and blowing it :)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Fordman is still a 2000 Ford Taurus cast aluminum intake manifold owner however. After the wedding in December and if I can ever keep any kind of management staff at my store, I can actually dedicate some time to finishing it and send it to someone to test.
[/b]
Very cool :yesnod:

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/b]

I have not purchased the SVT intake yet from one of the mechanics that works with me.I would be willing to try the taurus one out as well when you get it completed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The reason is because our plastic manifolds suck and flow unevenly. So there is plenty of benefit, such as not leaning out one side of your engine and blowing it :)
[/b]

Care to explain? Split port manifolds don't flow totally even as well. I doubt many UIM's do. The later Taurus 3L split port would be a lot easier to hog out to mate up with the head openings. The bolt pattern is still different so you're still back at square 1.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Care to explain? Split port manifolds don't flow totally even as well. I doubt many UIM's do. The later Taurus 3L split port would be a lot easier to hog out to mate up with the head openings. The bolt pattern is still different so you're still back at square 1.
[/b]
I own a Contour SVT as well so if you want me to check anything out on the manifold, let me know....

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the assistance,I kinda put that project on the back burner for now.I will be doing a complete engine build in the next year or so,waiting to see what happens with the turbo builds and tuning option before i do anything to wild.
But when i do,It will be unique.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
[/b]
I bolt pattern on all split-port and oval port lower intake manifolds is the same, the difference is in the upper intake manifolds' bolt patterns. So you have to use the entire LIM/UIM combo, you cannot mix and match. The Taurus 3L semi-split port aluminum LIM/UIM have physically larger runners in diameter than the oval ports, I measured them all with a digital micrometer when I still had the 6.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts