Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a gold mazda 6 which I bought a month ago. I'm thinking about putting an 18 inch rims, adding ground effects (when I find one in the market!) and maybe lowering the suspension. Is it going to be safe for the car? or is that bad?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Replying to Topic 'suspension'

Well at this stage I don't know yet, but I think it would be ok as long as you get the right spring/suspension :D

That's what I'm gonna do to my car when I have it next week. Lower it and put 18 inch wheels on!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Most likely so. Eibach has a spring out for he 6. It was on that purple showcar that's been shown around here.

Just make sure you get a high enough offset. Or at least a rim with a thick back pad so you can shave some on it off to create higher offset. With an 18" lowered I'd recommend a +46 offset. I'm going with a 19 and am going with a +49 offset. As I'm dropping it on coilovers that's a good offset to stick at so I don't have to roll the fenders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks Jes and Kincaid,

I am not that nowledgable about car parts. but with the information you have given me I think I won't ruin my 6.

One more thing, I don't know if you have such a thing in your country, but in my country (Kuwait) we have road bumps, which are meant to slow you down. they are mostly use inside neighborhoods. I'm wondering if I lowered my car and with the added groundeffects, will the bumps hit the bottom of my car? I mean even if I lower it enought to be higher than the bump, but will the motion of hitting the bump make my car go lower and therefore hit the bottom of my car?

I hope you can get what I meant to say... :)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

We have those. We call them "speed bumps". It depends. With Eibach springs the ride wil have very little travel and you shouldn't have a problem. If you decide to go with a variable coilover system where you can adjust the height you want it dropped, you will have very little [if any lol] travel in your suspension. I don't think you have to worry about these. Just take your time over them. Don't fly across them but you don't need to crawl either. I'd suggest measuring how high they make these speedbumps and allow a tiny bit for travel of the suspension. Probably .3 of an inch. As for the springs they won't lower the car enough to be a problem. Most Eibach kits, as I had on mine, will lower a car about 1.5 inches. No problems there.

Then of course there is your method to driving. If you think the bottom might scrape over something unusually high then take it diagonally. One wheel at a time. Sometimes with lowering it requires a little more care given to driving. A small sacrifice for what looks SO much better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Waw Kincaid... You really know what you are talking about. Thanks for all this valuable info. I wouldn't mind if you share with us more of your experience.

Well said, really.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Zee 19' inch Kincaid? What is ur tyre size for that?

Do you mind to post several pictures of your car with the modification on? I am sure we love to see that :D

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Well I don't have a 6 yet. They aren't available here in NL.

But depending on the offset and what type of coilovers will be available for the 6 a 225/35/19 tire would be optimal while if a lower offset and dropped more you may have to go with a 215/35/19 , which is a little thinner.

For pics of my previous car you can see them in my signature on the bottom of this post. And a photoshop of what I'll most likely be doing to my 6.

·
Registered
355 Posts

About "speed bumps"... In some parts of the world I have driven over some which are way too high even for "normal cars". It makes you feel nasty when the bottom of the car hits it... I wonder what would happen if the car was lowered on those?

But anywhere in the wolrd where they make them too high, they really screwed up. :sarc

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Yeah. Some they end up making way to high. But like I said, going over these one wheel at a time should do it.

·
Registered
96 Posts

The Mazda6 acessoiries pricelist in the Netherlands has 'lowering the suspension' listed..
costs about 1000 euro's.

·
Registered
96 Posts

I have no idea..

anyway too many speedbumps here and the 6 looks good enough without anyway..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts