Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am hoping someone can help me diagnose the issue that I am having with my car. I had some Rpm Street Springs installed on my car about 3 1/2 months ago. Needless to say one of the springs that were installed on the front right were not seated correctly. I just got that fixed last Saturday. During this weekend of driving i noticed that my car would bounce alot! This was espeically noticable on the highway every time going over a bump my car would wobble like crazy. This has become really annoying, and today on the way home from work i have notice a weird noise as well.

I was driving at around 20mph put it in netural and you can hear the noise coming from the front right suspension. I got really concerned and took it to my local gas station from where i just came from but the only thing the mechanic could tell me without taken things apart was that my front suspension was bad. He tested this by putting weight on the front end and the car would settle back up but then continue with the same motion ( like bouncing), he check the rear but that was fine. I am now afirad to drive my car with it possibly being worse for the car. This is so dam frustrating. My dealer said to bring it in but remove the RPM springs first.

What do you guys think this could be???

Thanks,

O

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm not sure about the "needless to say" comment as my Street springs were installed with zero issues, but it sounds to me like the "fix" you just had performed was far from that.

How does it bounce? From what you say it almost sounds like the car is jacked up or something. My car has barely a couple of fingers clearance between the fender and the tires on the front so I'm not sure how or why you'd be getting a lot of bounce. I get zero. And when I sit on any corner the car barely goes down, the streets are a 320lb spring rate, so it'd take that much weight just to drop it an inch. Are you sure they put the right springs back on? Sorry, but that is all I can think of here unless the did not correctly attach the springs...

Also, I am running Koni Yellows, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I seriously doubt you should be getting any bounce even with OE shocks. Sorry I can't be more help...

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Hey Guys,

I am hoping someone can help me diagnose the issue that I am having with my car. I had some Rpm Street Springs installed on my car about 3 1/2 months ago. Needless to say one of the springs that were installed on the front right were not seated correctly. I just got that fixed last Saturday. During this weekend of driving i noticed that my car would bounce alot! This was espeically noticable on the highway every time going over a bump my car would wobble like crazy. This has become really annoying, and today on the way home from work i have notice a weird noise as well.

I was driving at around 20mph put it in netural and you can hear the noise coming from the front right suspension. I got really concerned and took it to my local gas station from where i just came from but the only thing the mechanic could tell me without taken things apart was that my front suspension was bad. He tested this by putting weight on the front end and the car would settle back up but then continue with the same motion ( like bouncing), he check the rear but that was fine. I am now afirad to drive my car with it possibly being worse for the car. This is so dam frustrating. My dealer said to bring it in but remove the RPM springs first.

What do you guys think this could be???

Thanks,

O[/b]
From your description, I would suggest the front shocks are blown. There seems to be no dampening. Are both front sides bouncing and down? Or just the front right corner that the mechanic worked on? Check to see if the top shock nut is in place (in the engine bay,in the middle of the 3 nuts). If the front bounces that much then maybe the shock is not installed correctly. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Your Shocks are Done man..I'm having the same problems and I have the Sport springs.

I think that the stiffer Spring rate is not going to work with the stock shocks...YOU WILL NEED TO REPLACE YOUR SHOCKS IF YOU CHANGE YOUR SPRINGS with the RPM springs...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Agreed... sounds like your OEM shocks are toast. Either do a Koni Yellow rebuild, maybe RPM has some Bilsteins, or get another set of OEM shocks...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Agreed... sounds like your OEM shocks are toast. Either do a Koni Yellow rebuild, maybe RPM has some Bilsteins, or get another set of OEM shocks...[/b]
Ya know, the whole "lowering springs will destroy your stock shocks" wive's tale probably sells more Koni and Bilstein shocks than anything else, and it's probably rarely true.

From what the OP is describing it sounds like something in the right front is NOT assembled correctly. The noise and the "bouncing" could well be the shock not being attached correctly, like the top shock shaft nut being loose or missing, or perhaps the three studs on the top spring mount are either loose, missing, or stripped. Either way I'm guessing it's an assembly problem (sounds like the "mechanic" wasn't such a good one after all) and not a blown shock.

What usually happens that makes people think their stock shocks are "blown" is the higher rate aftermarket springs require more damping due to their higher spring rates. The stock shocks aren't able to control them as well as they did the OEM springs, and people instantly believe their stock shocks have been destroyed by the lowering springs.
It's dependent on the spring rates of the new springs, if they're only moderately higher you're not going to notice much difference.

I know this flies in the face of most of the logic I've read on this forum about stock shocks and lowering springs, but just remember back as recently as the 15th century people still believed the world was flat.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Car was driving fine with no bounce at all. This Bouncing incident just start to happen last monday or so. It feels like when i hit a small bump on the road it feels like I am hitting a big pothole or something. also after i hit a bump over the road the front end starts to bounce like I am on hydrollics or something. So I was going to put my stock springs back on and just take it in to the dealership so they can give me new Struts. Or the other route i was thinking was to buy aftermarket struts but i really don't want to spend the money on that yet. I mean fucking 15k on the car and stock struts are gone..... wdf is that shit!! Seriously. This is Very Frustrating.

Is there a write up somewhere on how to change out the front springs so i can get this going??

Thanks,

O

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If this started right after you had the fix, my money is on the fact that whoever did the "fix" incorrectly installed the springs. Shocks don't usually fail so quickly. The smoking gun is the fact that this started after they worked on it, take it back and ask them to look at it

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
My Car was driving fine with no bounce at all. This Bouncing incident just start to happen last monday or so. It feels like when i hit a small bump on the road it feels like I am hitting a big pothole or something. also after i hit a bump over the road the front end starts to bounce like I am on hydrollics or something. So I was going to put my stock springs back on and just take it in to the dealership so they can give me new Struts. Or the other route i was thinking was to buy aftermarket struts but i really don't want to spend the money on that yet. I mean fucking 15k on the car and stock struts are gone..... wdf is that shit!! Seriously. This is Very Frustrating.

Is there a write up somewhere on how to change out the front springs so i can get this going??

Thanks,

O[/b]
Here are some write ups:

Koni diy

HKS CO install or removal of OE suspension

MEE and SuperCarTastes on Skoda Budget soda write up

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Before doing all the work of removing the springs to go to the dealer, I'd first go back to the guy who did the work and ask him WTF is going on. A very high % chance that something he did is at the root of your woes. If he's at all reputable, he should give everything a good look see and likely find the culprit....

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My RPM Street Springs have been On for Around 4k miles.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
just remember back as recently as the 15th century people still believed the world was flat.[/b]
Wow, that was remarkably informative. Any chance you could sound a little more condescending? :nana:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK so i put my stock springs back on yesturday night. Took everything apart. and wow my struts are gone..... I don't know how this happened but its very frustrating espcially on a new car. Its at the dealership now so hopefully everything goes well!

·
Registered
324 Posts
OK so i put my stock springs back on yesturday night. Took everything apart. and wow my struts are gone..... I don't know how this happened but its very frustrating espcially on a new car. Its at the dealership now so hopefully everything goes well![/b]
Definetly let us know what happens. I think you and I use the same dealership so Im curious as to what they say.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Definetly let us know what happens. I think you and I use the same dealership so Im curious as to what they say.[/b]
They will fix them 'cause Dena and the crew rock!!!
Funny but today bigO, Jvoss and me will all have are cars there (my trunk won't open). Yesterday when I stopped by there were two other speed6's there, including one from Cali with chrome plated stockers. :nono:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Parts were order and my car should be ready by the end of the day today :)! Dam my service rep rocks!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Parts were order and my car should be ready by the end of the day today :)! Dam my service rep rocks![/b]
Okay, so if I am reading this correctly, you had the street springs on a little over a month and your shocks failed? How many miles are on your car?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the RPM Street Springs since the beging of Decemeber and the stock shocks just failed last week. so 3 months. I only have 15k on my car.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Wow, that was remarkably informative. Any chance you could sound a little more condescending? :nana:[/b]

I'll work on it, just for you.

But if you'd like some basis in fact for that statement consider this:

I've read too many threads from people who put lowering springs on their cars and immediately complained about the horrible ride.
There are a few possibilities for that, OTHER than their shocks suddenly having expired.
One is that perhaps they didn't understand the necessity for cutting bump stops to allow sufficient suspension travel, and are riding around on them. This creates basically a go-kart type suspension, which in effect is none. That's going to be a terrible ride. It's also a good way to break things.
Second, higher rate springs require some accomodation in shock valving to properly dampen them. Signifigant increases in spring rate are going to be a larger challenge for the stock shocks to keep up with. IMO the stock shocks are marginal in their rebound damping at best, crank up the spring rates and you bet the ride is going to get worse.
And to put a cap on it, even with proper matching of shock valving to spring rates, increasing spring rate and jounce/rebound damping of your shocks is going to change ride quality.

People in the middle ages believed the world was flat because they knew no better. Not everyone here is a trained auto mechanic or chassis setup expert (not am I, my credentials are simply years of working with a national level road racing team, during which I learned a lot about car setups. A great deal of that experience came the hard way) but as is the case with too many things on the Internet, too many people believe what they read here blindly.

But you don't care about all that explaination, do you? You just want to be pissed off because you didn't like my comment.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts