Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is starting to get on my nerves. Back in March, I practically rebuilt my front end with new upper control tr arms, both LCAS, and sway bar links and my struts were replaced in October the previous year. After all this, I still get a slight clunk when I g over bumps especially at lower speeds and I get that same type of slight clunk or pop when I start to turn the wheel even when sitting still. So Iast week, I replaced my inner and outer tie rods hoping to resolve that pop when turning. At the same time, I went back and retorqued the lower control arms and ball joints. Now the popping noise has gotten worse and it happens a little more frequently. I’m starting to think that the parts I put in are maybe defective or really bad quality. They were Detroit Axle that I got from Amazon. Got a full kit for an affordable price. Anybody else ever experience this? What’s you guys’ opinion on Detroit Axle?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I didn’t know about them until I stumbled upon them on Amazon. Anyway, have you experienced the same type of suspension noise issue?

·
Rally Racer
2,268 Posts
Yeah. I didn’t know about them until I stumbled upon them on Amazon. Anyway, have you experienced the same type of suspension noise issue?
I believe @bluedevil6 used the detroit axle brand with good results. Did you torque all the components with the suspension at its normal ride height?
Even half an inch variation will result in pretty quick failure.
Screenshot_20191230-185300_Photos.jpg
I had a popping that was coming from an utterly destroyed thrust bearing on my strut mount.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I believe @bluedevil6 used the detroit axle brand with good results. Did you torque all the components with the suspension at its normal ride height?
View attachment 238849
I had a popping that was coming from an utterly destroyed thrust bearing on my strut mount.
Just a thought.
Yep! I used Detroit Axle parts to rebuild the front end of my ‘07 hatch I did the driver side when I first got the car and that was almost 30k miles ago I have about 7k on the pass side side both have never had an issue except the sway bar links. The boots did dry rot and fall apart on those after about a year and a half. The only parts on the front of my car that are not DA parts are the struts which are KYB excel g’s and the springs that are eibachs. I’ve never had any noises or vibrations caused by any of the replacement parts on the front end of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Was having the same exact issue with my wagon. I had a friend of a friend who is a Mazda tech look at it. He fixed it in about two seconds. On mine it was actually the telescoping wheel and he told me it was super common. The grease in the joint gets pushed out over time and creates metal on metal binding. You just unlock the steering wheel adjustment and move the wheel full in and out a half dozen times. This redistributes the grease and all is well again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
View attachment 238849
Just a thought.
When I torqued the bushings the 1st time when I installed everything, I jacked up the control arms to load up the bushings and simulate the normal ride height. Had a slight suspension noise after that, but it was the same as before. When I went back to retightened everything, all I did was torque the lower ball joint nuts and the rear control arm nuts which as you well know requires lowering the subframe. I never heard of a strut thrust bushing. Is that the busing the strut fork attaches to?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was having the same exact issue with my wagon. I had a friend of a friend who is a Mazda tech look at it. He fixed it in about two seconds. On mine it was actually the telescoping wheel and he told me it was super common. The grease in the joint gets pushed out over time and creates metal on metal binding. You just unlock the steering wheel adjustment and move the wheel full in and out a half dozen times. This redistributes the grease and all is well again.
I heard about this problem with the telescoping steering column; even seen a YouTube video about it. I just think mine is completely out of grease, though. I tried to pull it from the steering rack so I can regrease it again, but I couldn’t. I’m gonna give it another try. Hopefully, it’ll resolve the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts