Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 Sport 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I gave Donkey Grundle's post about the Progress RSB a look through as well as some comments here and there and people have had great results from this sway bar: Progress Technology, 62.1127, rear anti sway bar, 2014 Mazdaspeed 3.

Did the Mazda 6 undergo any suspension revisions or redesigns from 2016 to 2018 that I should be worried about? The sway bar is listed as 2014-2018 so I'd imagine if they didn't have issues I should be okay? As always, any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
They did change the suspension, and perhaps the isolation of the rear subframe, and the thickness of the floorpan between '17.5 and '18. The drive of the '18 is different from the '14 - '17.5, albeit reportedly only subtly. As to whether the RSB details are different, I'm afraid I don't know, sorry.

BTW, kudos for having an '18 in 6MT. A rare bird indeed!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 Sport 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They did change the suspension, and perhaps the isolation of the rear subframe, and the thickness of the floorpan between '17.5 and '18. The drive of the '18 is different from the '14 - '17.5, albeit reportedly only subtly. As to whether the RSB details are different, I'm afraid I don't know, sorry.

BTW, kudos for having an '18 in 6MT. A rare bird indeed!
Guess I'll have to keep those changes in mind... More research it is!

The 2018 with a manual was certainly a diamond in the rough! Everything else local that was pre-owned and still had warranty were all automatic. I'm very lucky to have a 6 with the manual, it's quite the rarity as you said.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
When I bought my '17 in the Vancouver area (west coast of Canada) - I figured that the 6MT would no longer be offered in the Mazda6. I was right. In Canada, the '18's had no more 6MT's. My car, when I first saw it, had been sitting on the lot since about Sept. of '16. I first saw it Christmastime, '16... with all of 5 km on the odometer (3 miles). Drove it... then in late Feb. of '18 I saw it again... and it had 12 km on the odo. Those 7 km's were from my earlier test drive. No one was remotely interested in it... and no "test pilots" had had their hands at it.

I drove a pretty good deal, as the Dealership wanted it OUT...

Happy I got it.

I LIKE the fact that I got a GX (~ a Sport). GX in Canada, in '17, had seat heaters for four places, heated mirrors, backup camera, rain sensing wipers.... but a vinyl steering wheel (and of course the 17" alloys and cloth seats).

This is the format of car that I like... a kind of "loss leader", that is in part paid for by the higher trim levels. And, though I prefer the looks of the 19" alloys, I prefer the durability of the 17" alloys (vis à vis rim-bending events).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Back when I had my 2018, I was dealing with some noise issues in the front suspension. I asked Mazda Canada what had changed and here is what they told me, some of this may be helpful?

"The front and rear stabilizers are bonded to the mount bushings to have smoother suspension strokes. The direction of the load to front coil springs is also more aligned. In addition, the diameters of front dampers have increased from 32mm to 35mm. Additionally, a revised bump stopper characteristic, increased gap between bump stopper and damper cylinder, increased damper cylinder diameter, revised damper valve structure, and rigid steering gear mounts"

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 Sport 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I bought my '17 in the Vancouver area (west coast of Canada) - I figured that the 6MT would no longer be offered in the Mazda6. I was right. In Canada, the '18's had no more 6MT's. My car, when I first saw it, had been sitting on the lot since about Sept. of '16. I first saw it Christmastime, '16... with all of 5 km on the odometer (3 miles). Drove it... then in late Feb. of '18 I saw it again... and it had 12 km on the odo. Those 7 km's were from my earlier test drive. No one was remotely interested in it... and no "test pilots" had had their hands at it.

Happy I got it.

I LIKE the fact that I got a GX (~ a Sport). GX in Canada, in '17, had seat heaters for four places, heated mirrors, backup camera, rain sensing wipers.... but a vinyl steering wheel (and of course the 17" alloys and cloth seats).

This is the format of car that I like... a kind of "loss leader", that is in part paid for by the higher trim levels. And, though I prefer the looks of the 19" alloys, I prefer the durability of the 17" alloys (vis à vis rim-bending events).
Aw, lucky! Unfortunately the Sport in the US is the lowest trim level but the only trim available with the 6MT so I missed out on the larger wheels and heated seats, mirrors and rain sensing wipers. But, still very happy with my car. Keep your 6 as long as you can!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Happy I got it.

Very happy with my 18 m6MT, a true unicorn offered only for 2018. Being a sport I do miss all the features the higher trims have so I'm working on adding few things to my "bare bone" Mazda. Got Android auto installed, heated mirrors. Thinking about leather seats in the future.

·
Registered
17 Mazda6 Touring manual
206 Posts
When I was shopping for a new car in 2017, I asked the dealer to find me a manual Touring with tan interior and one of 3 paint colors. He found me exactly 3 cars in the entire southeast region.

I was frustrated that Mazda offered the 3 hatchback fully loaded with a manual (Grand Touring), and capped the 6 manual at the Touring level. I would have gladly paid extra for a manual Grand Touring. I'm still glad I ended up with my well-equipped manual Touring, because Mazda limited the manual even further in 2018 to the Sport trim level.

I live in rural GA and sometimes I wonder how many other 3rd gen manuals exist within, say, 50 miles.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 Sport 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I was shopping for a new car in 2017, I asked the dealer to find me a manual Touring with tan interior and one of 3 paint colors. He found me exactly 3 cars in the entire southeast region.

I was frustrated that Mazda offered the 3 hatchback fully loaded with a manual (Grand Touring), and capped the 6 manual at the Touring level. I would have gladly paid extra for a manual Grand Touring. I'm still glad I ended up with my well-equipped manual Touring, because Mazda limited the manual even further in 2018 to the Sport trim level.

I live in rural GA and sometimes I wonder how many other 3rd gen manuals exist within, say, 50 miles.
Won't say where, but you aren't the only manual 3rd gen in GA!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I gave Donkey Grundle's post about the Progress RSB a look through as well as some comments here and there and people have had great results from this sway bar: Progress Technology, 62.1127, rear anti sway bar, 2014 Mazdaspeed 3.

Did the Mazda 6 undergo any suspension revisions or redesigns from 2016 to 2018 that I should be worried about? The sway bar is listed as 2014-2018 so I'd imagine if they didn't have issues I should be okay? As always, any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!
im also looking at the progress RSB for my 21’ Mz6. Did you ever figure out if these will work on the “refreshed” generation?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.