Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 2010 Mazda 6 GT i since new and have always loved it - both the styling and the driving. Having said that, like a dumb a.. I decided last year to replace my front struts and rear shocks with Monroe Sensor struts/ shocks. My car has around 130000 km (just over 100000 miles). What a mistake that was. I have regretted that decision ever since because the ride has deteriorated big time. So I am wondering whether I should bite the bullet and guy new OEM front struts and springs and rear shocks go with something else or leave things as they are. Any advice?

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,006 Posts
Hello, can you define the deterioration? Has the vehicle started making any sounds it did not before? Are you experiencing and shaking or vibration that is "new"?
I ask because the rubber bushings on the suspension degrade and fail over time. It is possible that you are experiencing torn bushings (possibly in combination with overly compliant dampening) that is compounding the situation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car just doesn’t have the same feel to it. Kind of hard to explain really. But definitely has more of a “domestic” feed to it. Perhaps a little softer. Not as firm and solid feeling while driving - even in town limits. There is also a slight clunking sound coming from the rear passenger side wheel area when going over most bumps and rough road surfaces. So you might be on to something when you speak of rubber bushings. I have booked an appointment with a local garage to take a look at the rear suspension to try and diagnose what the problem is. Hey thanks for your insight on this. Dean

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would you replace the springs?
I would replace them because I made the mistake last time of using Monroe all in one strut spring mount sets for the front. And as I said I have hated the way my car has driven ever since. So I would like to bring it back to OEM feel to the greatest extent possible. Right now I am looking at KYB struts and shocks and Mazda springs. That should bring the handling and feel back so that my car drives like a Mazda once again - at least that is what I am hoping for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the work done. KYB struts and shocks Mazda front springs. Rides like new once again. Wow what a huge difference. Never again going with Monroe crap. Especially the all in one front struts. Absolute garbage But even the back shocks made the car drive like an old Cavalier or Nova. Absolute spongy nasty ride. Now it drives like a European car with a firm stable solid grip on the road - just like when I bought it new some 10 years ago. I love it once again!!!

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6 2.5L 4cyl 6MT
21 Posts
I got the work done. KYB struts and shocks Mazda front springs. Rides like new once again. Wow what a huge difference. Never again going with Monroe crap. Especially the all in one front struts. Absolute garbage But even the back shocks made the car drive like an old Cavalier or Nova. Absolute spongy nasty ride. Now it drives like a European car with a firm stable solid grip on the road - just like when I bought it new some 10 years ago. I love it once again!!!
good to know, thank you for sharing. I have 220k on the car I recently bought and am thinking of renewing the suspension. It rides better then my 1990 accord, but that is not saying much, that is why I am gathering info on the suspension refresh options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts