Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this was discussed before, but I can't find anything: is there a list of USB memory sticks supported by Mazda? Or do they have to have some parameters (e.g. not larger than... or formated with...) to be recognized by the audio unit (Bose, M6 2013)?

My 16GB ADATA USB3.0 stick is recognized with no problems. It's way too small for my music collection, though, so I tried a 128GB Super Talent Express RC4. Mazda simply doesn't see it.

I then tried a couple of external USB hard disks, hoping they would solve the problem. No - Mazda doesn't see them, either. They spin, so they are getting power, but the USB tab of the Audio screen is simply grayed out.

Any ideas...?

PS. A few months ago I ripped all my 1200+ CDs and SACDs to FLAC and stored on a NAS. They take close to a terabyte. For driving I can convert them to a lossy format: MP3 320kbps, which would make at least most of the collection fit on a 128GB USB stick. And all of it on a 256GB stick, which I would be willing to buy, not if I'm to discover my M6 won't recognize, it either... :(

351 Posts
I apologize if this was discussed before, but I can't find anything: is there a list of USB memory sticks supported by Mazda? Or do they have to have some parameters (e.g. not larger than... or formated with...) to be recognized by the audio unit (Bose, M6 2013)?

My 16GB ADATA USB3.0 stick is recognized with no problems. It's way too small for my music collection, though, so I tried a 128GB Super Talent Express RC4. Mazda simply doesn't see it.

I then tried a couple of external USB hard disks, hoping they would solve the problem. No - Mazda doesn't see them, either. They spin, so they are getting power, but the USB tab of the Audio screen is simply grayed out.

Any ideas...?

PS. A few months ago I ripped all my 1200+ CDs and SACDs to FLAC and stored on a NAS. They take close to a terabyte. For driving I can convert them to a lossy format: MP3 320kbps, which would make at least most of the collection fit on a 128GB USB stick. And all of it on a 256GB stick, which I would be willing to buy, not if I'm to discover my M6 won't recognize, it either... :(
Just get a mainstream brand, not "supertalent" stuff... size of a usb is irrelevant.

On a side note, convert them to 128kbps and it'll fit on your current stick. 128 is indistinguishable from 320 or even CD quality.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just get a mainstream brand, not "supertalent" stuff... size of a usb is irrelevant.

On a side note, convert them to 128kbps and it'll fit on your current stick. 128 is indistinguishable from 320 or even CD quality.
OK, so I should try a regular stick - indeed Supertalent is a special device for running Windows 8 To Go from it (which I don't need any more, so I repartitioned it for use as a mobile music library).

Regarding 128kbps vs 320kbps - speak for yourself :) I can hear the difference easily and will spot it in a double blind test on my recording studio near-field monitors or on a high-resolution Naim system at home. But you may be right that in a car, with the road noise and the awful Bose system Mazda tortures us with, it would be indeed indistingushable :rolleyes:

351 Posts
OK, so I should try a regular stick - indeed Supertalent is a special device for running Windows 8 To Go from it (which I don't need any more, so I repartitioned it for use as a mobile music library).

Regarding 128kbps vs 320kbps - speak for yourself :) I can hear the difference easily and will spot it in a double blind test on my recording studio near-field monitors or on a high-resolution Naim system at home. But you may be right that in a car, with the road noise and the awful Bose system Mazda tortures us with, it would be indeed indistingushable :rolleyes:
1. Using "regular" ISB stick will most likely solve the issue. No need for "specialty" devices here. Out Mazda is not a Windows 8 that gets continuous updates, even we don't know it.

2. This isn't a matter of "speaking for yourself". Facts are facts, laws of physics are same on Jupiter as they are in a galaxy that's 200,000 light years away.

You think you can hear the difference. These inner working of our brains are very well described by science. Scientifically conducted double blind tests is how we know "CD quality" is bullshit. If you take a CD recording and burn it at 128kbps, over "1,000" tries you'll guess exactly 50/50 which is a CD recoding and which is a 128kbps copy of a CD recording. This is a medical fact.

Furthermore, audio equipment is how I earn my living. All electronics "sound" the same - whether a $400 A/V receiver or a $10,000 pre/pro. You get more watts for extra $, but not sound quality.

Speakers are the only component that have their own "sound". But pretty much $2k speakers from a reputable manufacturer coupled by an A/V receiver with an advanced Audyssey (or similar) room correction will give you a performance of $10,000-20,000 speakers with out automated room-correction.

The 128kbps vs. CD is pure science fiction. Again, I deal with equipment firsthand, and am a dealer for many brands.

Brands like Naim should be avoided on the value-basis. Always choose an equipment from a company with most sales, since they will tend to have higher R&D, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY HIGHER ECONOMIES OF SCALE. So for any given price point, you'll have higher bang for the buck.

P.S. I have a $6,000 per first 6ft ($1k per 3 feet thereafter) audio cables I can sell you. I'm not kidding about the price. I can assure you they are as good as a lamp cord from Home Depo. This is as much "inside info" as it gets.

Whenever you see a, let's say, $6k MSRP on an audio product, know that its cost to a manufacturer is, about, $1,200. A company like Denon can produce stuff like Naim at half the price due to the economy of scale. A $600 Marantz media player is as good as $5k from NAD Master Series, etc. Generally you'll get more bag for your buck by going with a mainstream brand

Hope you now know better

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You think you can hear the difference (...)

P.S. I have a $6,000 per first 6ft ($1k per 3 feet thereafter) audio cables I can sell you. I'm not kidding about the price. I can assure you they are as good as a lamp cord from Home Depo. This is as much "inside info" as it gets.
I don't think - I have proven it to my wife on two occasions, in double blind listening tests :) In fact I made one incorrect identification per 20 trials, so I got a 95% correct hit rate.

Mind you, I used to earn my living with my ears - I worked in a recording studio (in Japan, in 1980s).

Not that I have what they call "golden ears". My brother does - he hears differences in cables (again, confirmed in blind listening tests), which I usually don't. I'm not an audiophile, just an ex recording engineer. So although I tried Naim PowerLines (at $900 per power cord), I hear no difference and I'm about to sell them and stick to the stock power cables. My brother is going to kill me...

PS. Thanks for the tip on USB sticks! But I still don't know what's the maximum size Mazda 6 will recognize... Even if I compressed my music fo the road to 128kbps, I still won't fit the entire collection on anything less than 128GB...

·
Registered
15 Posts
1. Using "regular" ISB stick will most likely solve the issue. No need for "specialty" devices here. Out Mazda is not a Windows 8 that gets continuous updates, even we don't know it.

2. This isn't a matter of "speaking for yourself". Facts are facts, laws of physics are same on Jupiter as they are in a galaxy that's 200,000 light years away.

You think you can hear the difference. These inner working of our brains are very well described by science. Scientifically conducted double blind tests is how we know "CD quality" is bullshit. If you take a CD recording and burn it at 128kbps, over "1,000" tries you'll guess exactly 50/50 which is a CD recoding and which is a 128kbps copy of a CD recording. This is a medical fact.

Furthermore, audio equipment is how I earn my living. All electronics "sound" the same - whether a $400 A/V receiver or a $10,000 pre/pro. You get more watts for extra $, but not sound quality.

Speakers are the only component that have their own "sound". But pretty much $2k speakers from a reputable manufacturer coupled by an A/V receiver with an advanced Audyssey (or similar) room correction will give you a performance of $10,000-20,000 speakers with out automated room-correction.

The 128kbps vs. CD is pure science fiction. Again, I deal with equipment firsthand, and am a dealer for many brands.

Brands like Naim should be avoided on the value-basis. Always choose an equipment from a company with most sales, since they will tend to have higher R&D, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY HIGHER ECONOMIES OF SCALE. So for any given price point, you'll have higher bang for the buck.

Whenever you see a, let's say, $6k MSRP on an audio product, know that its cost to a manufacturer is, about, $1,200. A company like Denon can produce stuff like Naim at half the price due to the economy of scale. A $600 Marantz media player is as good as $5k from NAD Master Series, etc. Generally you'll get more bag for your buck by going with a mainstream brand

Hope you now know better

There is some argument for this between 320 and flac, but I still think on a quality hifi system there is distinguishable differences between them. Between 128 and 320, I am sorry you are plain wrong. Maybe out $5 ear buds it all sounds the same, but there is a pretty significant jump between the two. I would probably have a tough time distinguishing between 256 and 320, but I have identical tracks in 320 and 128 in my library and when 128 version comes on I can tell nearly immediately

Also, not all DACs are created equal, so your argument that the shittiest a/v receiver is the same as a 10k pre-amp is invalid as well. There are significant differences in sound quality, it is not 'pure wattage' as you say.
Also, it is proven that with analog cables there can be quality differences in sound depending on the quality of the metal. In digital cables there is *some* truth to what you say.
Also, not all room correction eqs are created equal. Anthem's ARC is leaps and bounds better than audessey(I use both on a regular basis and have interchanged both)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, great discussion, worth a separate thread (or forum? :) But I really need to know what's the max size and recommended brands/types of USB sticks that Mazda 6 GJ can handle... Any personal experiences, anyone, with large USB sticks that are recognized by M6?

351 Posts
I don't think - I have proven it to my wife on two occasions, in double blind listening tests :) In fact I made one incorrect identification per 20 trials, so I got a 95% correct hit rate.

Mind you, I used to earn my living with my ears - I worked in a recording studio (in Japan, in 1980s).

Not that I have what they call "golden ears". My brother does - he hears differences in cables (again, confirmed in blind listening tests), which I usually don't. I'm not an audiophile, just an ex recording engineer. So although I tried Naim PowerLines (at $900 per power cord), I hear no difference and I'm about to sell them and stick to the stock power cables. My brother is going to kill me...

PS. Thanks for the tip on USB sticks! But I still don't know what's the maximum size Mazda 6 will recognize... Even if I compressed my music fo the road to 128kbps, I still won't fit the entire collection on anything less than 128GB...
Really? at $900 a piece and you HEAR no difference???:eek: Maybe you need $2,400 supports for media player.. some vibrations are not measurable, but we KNOW they are there.

But then again, maybe to "HEAR" :)lol::lol::lol:) these $900 power cords, you need to rewire your house with a $6k per first six feet ($1k thereafter for next 3 feet) cable??? But, now that I think about it, I think you'd also need to rewire all the way to an electric power plant, for "difference" to be there:lol::lol::lol:

P.S. These $900 power cords cost Naim $5 to manufacture, and $12 for packaging. That is, whoever makes it for NAIM, makes a profit on doing it at $5 per cord :)

There is some argument for this between 320 and flac, but I still think on a quality hifi system there is distinguishable differences between them. Between 128 and 320, I am sorry you are plain wrong. Maybe out $5 ear buds it all sounds the same, but there is a pretty significant jump between the two. I would probably have a tough time distinguishing between 256 and 320, but I have identical tracks in 320 and 128 in my library and when 128 version comes on I can tell nearly immediately

Also, not all DACs are created equal, so your argument that the shittiest a/v receiver is the same as a 10k pre-amp is invalid as well. There are significant differences in sound quality, it is not 'pure wattage' as you say.
Also, it is proven that with analog cables there can be quality differences in sound depending on the quality of the metal. In digital cables there is *some* truth to what you say.
Also, not all room correction eqs are created equal. Anthem's ARC is leaps and bounds better than audessey(I use both on a regular basis and have interchanged both)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Buddy, forgive me, but son, D/A converter is...JUST.. a digital to analog converter... that's all it is... it's a $3-8 part, made in large quantities at a semi-conductor plant. The engineers who designed them (and production process) HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT "sound" of certain components. It's designed to spec, and it AIN'T NO SPECIAL EDITION SUPER_DUPER POWERFUL CPU. Again, the parts costs a few dollars, and literally pennies in material to produce.

Pre-pro is silly, unless (!!!) you have very might speakers that are full-range, and in order to feed them proper power you need a special Amp (like 300 watts per channel, as there are no receivers with such output), and then you need a pre-amp. Having pre-pro to feed you speakers anything less than 200 watts is SILLY. Same as taking vitamin supplements with 3,000% DV of Vitamin C and "feeling" better vs. taking vitamin supplements with "just" 100%DV of Vitamin C.

351 Posts
OK, great discussion, worth a separate thread (or forum? :) But I really need to know what's the max size and recommended brands/types of USB sticks that Mazda 6 GJ can handle... Any personal experiences, anyone, with large USB sticks that are recognized by M6?
You really need to seek out a, minimum, $1k USB stick from a boutique manufacturer, stuffed by golden ears. Otherwise, how can you even listen to a music at all? It's really distorted, and the mids are not where they should be, the scene is narrower and shifted further back, and.... can I sell you a $3k cable to rewire you Mazda's path from usb port to a processor? No? Why not?:D

When you come to a forum and make OUTRAGEOUSLY IGNORANT and downright medieval claims that's the answer you're going to get. Deal with it.

I have a 64gb USB stick in my car.

·
Registered
324 Posts
But how are you gonna listen to all of that 128g of music when it always start at the first one as soon as you press the start button in this fucking 2014 Mazda 6.....

Reactions: Torsional_Stiffness
351 Posts
But how are you gonna listen to all of that 128g of music when it always start at the first one as soon as you press the start button in this fucking 2014 Mazda 6.....
USB is fine, it's the iPhone that begins from the begging(?) But, nonetheless, how the hell is one supposed to navigate that much of music library while driving?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
When you come to a forum and make OUTRAGEOUSLY IGNORANT and downright medieval claims that's the answer you're going to get. Deal with it.
Oh, you mean the claim that a 128GB stick as well as an external USB hard disk are not recognized by my M6 are outrageously ignorant and downward medieval? I'm so sorry...
Yes, I heard that in the Middle Ages they already used 256GB USB sticks in their coaches, next time I promise to look it up before bothering anyone on this forum!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I assume in the same way I do with my 16GB USB stick - by selecting the artist and the album an pressing Play. Works just fine.
PS. If you hate your car - sell it!

351 Posts
Oh, you mean the claim that a 128GB stick as well as an external USB hard disk are not recognized by my M6 are outrageously ignorant and downward medieval? I'm so sorry...
Yes, I heard that in the Middle Ages they already used 256GB USB sticks in their coaches, next time I promise to look it up before bothering anyone on this forum!
No need to play a provincial pro-Putin Russian here. I mean these:

1. I can hear the difference easily and will spot it in a double blind test on my recording studio near-field monitors or on a high-resolution Naim system at home.

2. I have proven it to my wife :)lol::lol::lol:) on two occasions, in double blind listening tests
In fact I made one incorrect identification per 20 trials, so I got a 95% correct hit rate

3. Not that I have what they call "golden ears". My brother does - he hears differences in cables (again, confirmed in blind listening tests)

Okay? Seriously, how about rewiring your house all the way to a local power plant? You'd need to rewire the power plant itself though for full effect though...

P.S. for the last time, I'm a dealer for many brands. $900 Naim power "this" costs $5 to manufacture, with Chinese company that manufactures it still making a profit selling it to Naim at $5... This is an insider info. Thank me.

351 Posts
I assume in the same way I do with my 16GB USB stick - by selecting the artist and the album an pressing Play. Works just fine.
If you cant have a $100,000 pre-pro, $100,000 speakers, and $60,000 in cables - GIVE UP LISTENING TO MUSIC, okay? a $400 A/V receiver, according to physics, has the same "audio quality" as a $30k pre-pro

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So Mr Stiffness, who has too much time on his hands, managed to get a 64GB stick to be recognized (but failed to say what brand and model, which could be useful to other forum members) and Whiteline only managed to get the 32GB Kingston to work.

Anyone else, please? In the meantime I did write to Mazda asking which USB devices they support, still waiting for an answer.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't hate ma car, but i hate that the usb start always at the same song all the time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's good to hear (that you don't hate your car) :) I just talked to my Mazda dealer and they said the USB stick size cannot be larger than certain size, they are going to call Mazda and make sure what this value is and call me back.

I'll post the findings here, maybe somebody will find it useful. Or at least more useful than the "Audiophiles are Idiots" soapbox :)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts