Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sitting here at work thinking, whats the most difficult part in putting in a supercharger in our cars. I know there would be problems with the ECU, but how hard can it be installing one. Picture it, without the stock airbox there is a lot more room to play with in that area of the engine bay. Mount a centrifugal supercharger closer to the front of the car with he discharge pointing down i guess and attach the superchargers pulley to one of the pulleys on the engine. Run the discharge piping down and around to a FMIC and have the discharge piping from the IC go the same route and into the TB with a spot in the pipe for the MAF. As for the intake for the supercharger, it would go down into the wheel well like any of the CAIs go. It doesnt seem like its that hard to do. Ive seen plenty of cars that have massive amounts of IC piping and the way i described it, it doesnt seem like much is needed. Also if you didnt want an intercooler.... i dont know why not but... have the supercharger mounted as described and instead of going to a FMIC go straight into the TB. I dont know too much about superchargers and if there needs to be a specific position or place it has to be moounted and how much room there is to run intercooler piping to the front of the car but from what i have seen on other cars it seems fairly simple to do. Someone fill me in on reasons on why this might or might not work and if it will why hasnt anyone tackled this idea yet?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Not a bad idea, the only theoretical problem outside the usual forced induction hassles is the clearance. We have almost NO vertical clearance between the top of the engine and the bottom of the hood.

Maybe someone else will try to chime in here, but try searching for "supercharger". I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before a few times.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
From what I understand, the unit that CPE is coming out with sometime in the next year or so will be a twin screw design that sits on top. If that is true, there will need to be some kind of higher hood that comes with it. (taller than the speed6 hood)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried using the search but came up empty handed. If CP-E is working on a twin screw that would be amazing. Id rather see a twin srew than a centrifugal anyways. What do you guys think price range will be? Also if they make a bigger hood thats fine with me as long as it doesnt have a scoop like the WRX and STi, id rather have a something similar to the speed6 just maybe raised a little higher. If anyones got any info on the CP-E supercharger please fill us in.

·
Registered
567 Posts
At the rate CPE's headers are going, I wouldn't look for a SC kit for less than a few thousand.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Personally I feel a new hood won't be needed. It's been debated over and over again with the lysholm/twin-screw compressors, that runner length doesn't seem to be an issue effecient blowers like Whipple and Kenne Bell. I measured around 11 to 12" for total upper and lower manifold height and that still does not account for the space between the top of the plastic intake plenum and the hood and we know that the engine moves around quite a bit from factory, so there is a good 1 to 1.5" between it. Factor that with the fact that a Whipple 2300AX (Now named W140AX), which is right sized for our engine (A little on the larger size so it has room to "grow") is only about 6" tall and with 2 to 2.5" of the lower intake manifold and fuel rail that leaves us with 5" of room to add runners and a plenum or just a plenum.

That is how I intend mine to go, take the 1999 split-port lower intake manifold, hone it to oval port (Once done it (the ports) is physically larger than our factory oval port ports and relocate the injector bosses to the center. Then have kinger PnP and extrude hone match my heads to the intake and the CPe headers.

As for price from CPe, expect in the $2,000 to $3,000 range, because the head unit alone on a Whipple is $1,400 and that does not include the air bypass valve or drive snout. CPe intends the supercharger kit to work with the MAFci intake, so a revised hood is out of the question.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
As for price from CPe, expect in the $2,000 to $3,000 range, because the head unit alone on a Whipple is $1,400 and that does not include the air bypass valve or drive snout. CPe intends the supercharger kit to work with the MAFci intake, so a revised hood is out of the question.
[/b]
Thank goodness. A higher hood will kill any chance of me buying it. The MS6 one even ruins the lines of the car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
^ :bowdown:
[/b]
I had seen a set up for a Honda Civic and they used a centrifugal supercharger (vortech if I recall) with a long drive shaft that mounted the head on the opposite side of the motor compared to the pulleys. Also look an the Ford Taurus SHO kit if you can find one out there.
Just an idea. I had previously owned a 6S and was trying to come up with an idea to build a supercharger and this was the direction I was going in. Also look into the newly developed centrifugal supercharger I can not remeber its name at this time but it is almost as efficient as a turbo and uses a new gear design which spins the impeller at turbo speeds.
There is plenty of room once the air box is removed to mount a centrifugal unit in that area.

I found the charger and here is a link that shows the charger mounted on the motor and the log drive shaft
Good luck

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/produc...vic.html#system

Found this site while extremly bored at home
Hey Guys check this site out this guy builds custom kit with the long dirve shaft as I described. This Link will bring you to one of his products which is for the Mitsubishi Galant V6 maybe it can be modified why not give him a call I bet you with enough feed back from the Mazda community he might build a 6i and 6s kit. only a thought.

V6 Galant
http://www.rippmods.com/products/products_...3&productId=148

4 cyl lancer
http://www.rippmods.com/templates/template...Id=117&menuId=2

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
No way I would pay for a vortech... makes boost at high RPM's and drives like a small turbo...

I WANT TORQUE DAMNIT! AND I WANT IT AT 2500 RPMS!!! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I found the charger and here is a link that shows the charger mounted on the motor and the log drive shaft
Good luck
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/produc...vic.html#system
Found this site while extremly bored at home
Hey Guys check this site out this guy builds custom kit with the long dirve shaft as I described. This Link will bring you to one of his products which is for the Mitsubishi Galant V6 maybe it can be modified why not give him a call I bet you with enough feed back from the Mazda community he might build a 6i and 6s kit. only a thought.

[/b]

If anyone calls him and gets thing thing set up I will def. back it. I've been lookin for a supercharger/turbocharger kit forever!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
well, we'll need a new tranny, or a stronger 3rd gear and an lsd, so tack on about 2 more grand to that price.

its all money. it would be wonderful, and i'd really think about it if i didnt hafta throw a mtx95 or whatever in with a qualife to actually put the power down.

thats a ton of work :)

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
The Vortech Tuner kit for the Contour V6, they still sell it, will work with our vehicle and as Kit (Z6Speed) showed us, the stock ECU will adapt somewhat with a forced induction setup. Vortech finally fixed the shaft failure issue.

Though as someone else mentioned, the Vortech is like a small turbo with a small powerband, hell DemonSVT and his all NA Contour beats the Vortech Contours at the track all the time. Whipple is the way to go, positive displacement, constant and consistent boost and VERY effecient with low heat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
84FordMan
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing