Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to let you know-the possibility of supercharging the 6s may be more realistic than you think. A cougar owner has recently just swapped in a 3.0 duratec and slapped the vortech sc and she runs just fine. That means it is very mechanically possible with parts already on the market. I was just looking under the hood of a 6s and actually saw more cleance in front of the first bank in order for the jackshaft to run. So fellas.......just to keep your hopes up.:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Reading Topic: Supercharger is possible

Hopefully this 6s does not suffer from oil starvation like the 2.5 did. Also that kit will not work on the 6 as the 3.0 in the 6 uses a returnless fuel system. That vortech kit didnt even work on 2000+ cougars and SVT contours. It only works on the return style system. Kenne Bell makes a blower for the 3.0 Escape and Tribute, youll have much better chances seeing that one then the vortech.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Supercharger is possible'

My concern about a Kenne Bell type kit working on the 6 would be hood clearance....

For Vortech.. They have a few hurdles to get over before they can support the 6. First, they need to find away around this cars returnless fuel system. They spent the time and money to get around the 2000+ Mustang.. Then they have to deal with the computer. I know they use custom programmed SuperChips in all of their other kits..or at least they did on the Cougars.. With these new computers, you cant use chips...

I also dont think this engine will suffer from oil starvation. I am sure it has the re-designed oil pan....

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Supercharger is possible

I seem to remember a blurb about the redesigned oil pan on the 6. They talked about even making it a structural member to reduce vibration.

O

·
0 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Supercharger is possible'

Originally posted by TbirdJayC

Hopefully this 6s does not suffer from oil starvation like the 2.5 did.  Also that kit will not work on the 6 as the 3.0 in the 6 uses a returnless fuel system.  That vortech kit didnt even work on 2000+ cougars and SVT contours.  It only works on the return style system. Kenne Bell makes a blower for the 3.0 Escape and Tribute, youll have much better chances seeing that one then the vortech.[/b]
There has been a lot of talk about the oil starvation issue on http://www.contour.org so if you want more info on that you can search the forums over there. I know one thing that most of us CSVT owners do is put 6qts of oil in, I auto-x the crap out of my car with race rubber and have never had an issue. If I had to guess by the 2000 model year Ford had this issue figured out because I have never seen a 2000 CSVT with a blown motor yet, though there are only a little over 2000 of them running around.

Yeah, I think you guys are out of luck as far as the Vortech unit goes, it was made for return style fuel systems. Kenne Belle is a possible, but there is a turbo kit that is constructed for the Contours by Streetflight and I believe it was made to work on the returnless style system, but don't quote me on that. There are a couple of Cougars and Contours with this unit now. I think the going price for that package starts at about $4500, but comes with a lot of little extras. Again, check out the Forced Induction forums on http://www.contour.org for more information on that kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts