Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Summer Tires for Stock 17" Wheels?

I replaced the stock Michelins on my 2008 5-door i-Touring with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 tires, which proved to be just amazing winter performance tires. Now I need summer performance tires.

There are not many choices for the stock size, 215/50-17. I want the steering precision and low noise level I have from my winter tires (they're far superior in every situation to the originals), along with excellent performance in dry and wet conditions. There are no Michelin summer tires that are the standard size, otherwise I'd probably get the Pilot Sports. I do not want all-seasons.

Seems that the three best reviewed summer tires right now are the Continental ExtremeContact DW, the Sumitomo HTR Z III, and the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport. The latter seems to have received mixed reviews, though. I do not want autocross tires (which is why I started this thread), and I'd like to get decent tread life (the original Michelins lasted only 24,000 miles). The reviews of others in this size vary tremendously depending upon the car they're mounted on, or there are too many strong negatives reported: Toyo, Dunlop, & Goodyear.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Is there a reason not to go with 225/45/17s? Slightly shorter, but many more choices.

However, I do see that the Hankook V12 Evo in a 215/50/17 is available. I have that in a 235/45/17 on my wagon and love them. They look to be wearing better than my previous favorite, the Kumho SPT. Plus, there's a $50 rebate on the V12.

I did have the BFG G-Force Sport (came on the 17x7.5 wheels) and they were good too - not as grippy as the two above, but did last longer. They look to only be available in the 225/45/17 size.

Hope this helps.

Kevin M.
'04 MTX Wagon

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is there a reason not to go with 225/45/17s?
However, I do see that the Hankook V12 Evo in a 215/50/17 is available. I have that in a 235/45/17 on my wagon and love them. They look to be wearing better than my previous favorite, the Kumho SPT.
Do you mean they are wearing more evenly or do you mean that they are wearing more slowly (or both)?

Also how do interpret the handling and ride quality compared to the spt?

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Do you mean they are wearing more evenly or do you mean that they are wearing more slowly (or both)?

Also how do interpret the handling and ride quality compared to the spt?

Thanks
So far it is both - the wear seems better than the SPT, and the left front shoulder seems to be holding up a bit better too.

Kevin

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Contis.

Not broken-in yet, but they're quiet, smooth, and sticky. I had to get them rebalanced by a Tire Rack installer, using Hunter Road Force balancing, because my Mazda dealer did not balance them properly. :mad: GRRR...

Mazda6 (new tires) 017.jpg Mazda6 (new tires) 019.jpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ya, I need new tires also and do not know what to do!

Continental / Goodyear Eagle GT / Toyo Px-4
Kuhmo Ecsta SPT's!! I'm on my second set and they are wonderful tires. Sticky and very responsive. I got 40,000 miles out of the first set. I'm 24,000 miles into this set. Rotate them often and keep the tire pressure in the low 40's and you'll love'em.

NRA

·
Registered
919 Posts
I just bought the Sumitomo HTR Zlll from Tirerack. Great deal with rebate, which came to $369 installed. These tires seem to perform pretty well so far, and are also very quiet. Will see how well they do as the miles add on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts