Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General UHP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Wider tires help negate the jarring effects of road irregularities. Sidewall height has a greater impact, but tire width has a similar but smaller effect.

Think of it in extremes: if you had a tire that was 8 feet wide, would you feel all the little peaks/valleys/rocks/potholes? Nope.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
i was thinking more along the lines of having a wider rim, (like an 8.0 on a 235 vs that 7.0) allows the sidewall to be better supported, and therefore firmer, rather than it bending under load or "bumps" in the road.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i was thinking more along the lines of having a wider rim...
[/b]
No matter how either of us got there, I think we both have the correct end result: wider tires tend to give smoother ride. :D

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
how so?
[/b]
From Yokohama Tire's website:

Wheel Width

Choosing the wheel's width is important to assuring customer satisfaction. In addition to correct fitment, the wheel's width also influences handling and ride quality. Always choose a rim width within the range of the tire's acceptable rim width specifications.

- Choosing a wider rim: increases vehicular stability, steering response and cornering ability. A rule of thumb is to use a rim width 90% as wide as the tread width (not section width) of a performance tire for street applications. This provides a good balance between performance and ride quality. Always be sure that the chosen rim width is within the tire's range of acceptable rim width specifications.

- Choosing a narrow rim: results in an improvement in ride quality, but may sacrifice the tire's ultimate performance capabilities.

- Choosing a mid-range rim width: provides a balance between handling capabilities and ride quality.

Your tires are not only mounted on narrow wheels, but wheels that are too narrow for the size tire (as stated before).

High Performance Wheels

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
ultimate performance capabilities.

so i get 'normal' performance instead of 'ultimate' - that's ok with me, my first set of tires lasted me 44K miles :D

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
so i get 'normal' performance instead of 'ultimate' [/b]
*shakes head* You're still not getting it. You're getting less than normal performance because your wheels are even narrower than what's allowed. If your wheels were 7.5 inches wide, then you'd get "normal" performance. I really don't know how else to put it, so I'm done here.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
*shakes head* You're still not getting it. You're getting less than normal performance because your wheels are even narrower than what's allowed. If your wheels were 7.5 inches wide, then you'd get "normal" performance. I really don't know how else to put it, so I'm done here.
[/b]

i was merely replying to your bold previous post

- Choosing a narrow rim: results in an improvement in ride quality, but may sacrifice the tire's ultimate performance capabilities.

it states 'may sacrifice'
it doesn't say - guaruntees failure, or you'll get 'less than normal' - it states what it states...
i hear you, and i appreciate everyones feedback....

·
Registered
484 Posts
Smoking may be hazardous to your health.

It doesn't say is hazardous, so smoking cigarettes must be okay.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Smoking may be hazardous to your health.

It doesn't say is hazardous, so smoking cigarettes must be okay.
[/b]

yes, and McDonalds coffee has warnings about "contents being hot"

41 - 51 of 51 Posts