Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone:

I just acquired an '05 6i MTX with 99K miles on it. The car is in great condition--I'm surprised by how quiet and tight it is despite the mileage. The dealership did an oil change before selling it to me (5w20, I think), but I'd like to get a good start with the car (no maintenance records provided) by having a few things done right away. I'd appreciate your advice on the following items that I'm planning:
  1. Brake fluid change (I imagine this has never been done, and I usually do this every two years with previous cars)
  2. MTX transmission fluid change (and if so, is it worth going with Redline MT-90)
  3. Coolant flush and fill

In addition to those, I'm considering these other items based on reading I've done--do you think they're needed?:
  1. Power steering fluid
  2. Replace cabin and air filters
  3. Replace PCV (seems like this applies more to 6s than 6i?)
  4. Anything else?

I'm really enjoying the car and I'd like to keep it in good repair and run it for a long time. I got the car partially because I changed jobs within my company and am now only 1.5 miles from my new office, so it won't get driven all that much and, when it is driven, it won't be for a very long distance most of the time. I know, that's hard on a car. That's why I thought a 4-cyl would be a good option, and why I'm considering switching it to synthetic (Mobil 1?) when it's due for its next oil change.

Like I said--I love the car and I greatly welcome your advice.

P.S. If you're curious: Lapis blue over black cloth interior, Bose/sunroof package as the only option. Great car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would do the Brake fluid flush if you really want to, as long as it gets done right.

The MT-90, honestly i wouldn't in a 6i series, but its completely up to you.

Steering fluid if you bought from a dealer, they prob topped it off. Air filters, once again depends where you bought it. Most places around here only replace if its more then 50% worn/dirty. Personally if your going to flush everything, why not start fresh with the filter to, have it all at once nice and clean.

PCV is mostly for 6s, so dont worry about it.

Another thing, at 99k miles, id check the belts. I bet their pretty worn, unless the dealership replaced them.

·
Registered
563 Posts
QUOTE (05 6i @ Feb 18 2010, 09:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638118
Hi, everyone:

I'm really enjoying the car and I'd like to keep it in good repair and run it for a long time. I got the car partially because I changed jobs within my company and am now only 1.5 miles from my new office, so it won't get driven all that much and, when it is driven, it won't be for a very long distance most of the time. I know, that's hard on a car. That's why I thought a 4-cyl would be a good option, and why I'm considering switching it to synthetic (Mobil 1?) when it's due for its next oil change.[/b]
you've got that backwards, short city trips are worse for the engine than longer drives
i've had both an 'i' and 's' and got pretty similar mileage, the 's' was slightly less, although that was probably due to it being a MTX

but as for your air filter, it's really easy to get at. so i would take a look at it and see how dirty it was.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Suggestions for a just-acquired '05 6i?.................have fun with it

B

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Fatal-Error @ Feb 19 2010, 11:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638343
I would do the Brake fluid flush if you really want to, as long as it gets done right.

The MT-90, honestly i wouldn't in a 6i series, but its completely up to you.

Steering fluid if you bought from a dealer, they prob topped it off. Air filters, once again depends where you bought it. Most places around here only replace if its more then 50% worn/dirty. Personally if your going to flush everything, why not start fresh with the filter to, have it all at once nice and clean.

PCV is mostly for 6s, so dont worry about it.

Another thing, at 99k miles, id check the belts. I bet their pretty worn, unless the dealership replaced them.[/b]
Thanks for the feedback. Are you saying you wouldn't bother springing for MT-90 on a 6i, or are you saying you wouldn't change the MTX fluid at all with 99k? I think you're saying it's a good idea to change, but probably not worth the expense of Red Line.

I won't worry about the steering fluid nor the PCV, but I'll check the filters and I'll do the brake fluid and coolant flush and fill and check the belts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE ('06 mazda6iGT @ Feb 19 2010, 11:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638346
you've got that backwards, short city trips are worse for the engine than longer drives
i've had both an 'i' and 's' and got pretty similar mileage, the 's' was slightly less, although that was probably due to it being a MTX

but as for your air filter, it's really easy to get at. so i would take a look at it and see how dirty it was.[/b]
A fellow MN driver!

Sorry if that was confusing--you're right and that's what I meant--short city trip is about the worst thing possible. I got the car specifically because it was a 4-cyl, 5-speed. I sold my BMW 335i because I figured I might as well get some cash out of that and get something more reliable/less finicky, that might better withstand a short commute. I'm hoping to bike or walk to work when the weather is at least semi-decent, so my good history with Mazda (this is my third--had a 10th Anniversary Miata and a Protege5 previously) led me to get this car. To be honest, it's not all that different than the BMW. Steering's a little light for my taste, but the car is plenty fun to drive, I love the sound of the i engine under acceleration (especially above 4K RPM), and it has almost all the nice convenience features of the BMW. Great car!

QUOTE (JerseyBoy357 @ Feb 19 2010, 11:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638348
Suggestions for a just-acquired '05 6i?.................have fun with it

B[/b]
LOL--best advice of all! Believe me, I am--what a great car. I'm really pleased with it--I just want to make sure it's as reliable as it has been fun to drive! Given my multiple previous Mazda ownership, I'm pretty sure it will be. Thanks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you like the sound of the engine, one way to make it have a little purr is to do the airbox mod or get a SRI/CAI. I personally loved the sound of my intake before I got my cat back. Now the exhaust kinda drowns out the noise. But I love to hear the whoosh of air when accelerating.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea, change it just no need to get the redline bud.

Listen to halozander, he gave me some advice and it came out nice :)

**even though his Avatar makes me want to drive my mazda in Halo 3 lol **

·
Registered
440 Posts
QUOTE (Halozander @ Feb 20 2010, 09:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638378
If you like the sound of the engine, one way to make it have a little purr is to do the airbox mod or get a SRI/CAI. I personally loved the sound of my intake before I got my cat back. Now the exhaust kinda drowns out the noise. But I love to hear the whoosh of air when accelerating.[/b]

We could always modify our 6 into.....a convertible!! Plenty of whooshing then,lol.

B

·
Registered
21 Posts
lol, i love the intake sound too lol

but the exhaust is sexy too, AWWW SO MANY CHOICES!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update:

I changed the air filter (not too bad, but since I had one and was in there, I changed it) and the cabin air filter (disgusting--I don't think it had ever been changed in 99K miles--filthy black and it looked as thought there may have been a mouse in there at one time--I looked around with a flashlight and didn't see any other signs, so I hope it's OK). Also changed both wiper blades.

I'm taking it in on Thursday to do brake fluid, coolant, and transmission oil, as well as checking belts. However, here's the big question:

Where do I get 75w90 GL-4 gear oil????

I have looked everywhere online (O'Reilly/Checkers, Pep Boys, Autozone, NAPA, Advance Auto) and I looked while I was at the store today--75w90 GL-4 doesn't seem to exist any more. The few synthetic 75w90 oils they had there were all GL-5, but after doing a lot of reading here I know to stay away from those due to damage to the yellow metals in the tranny.

Fatal-Error: any thoughts on this? I know you were thinking Red Line wasn't worth the cost for a 6i, but I literally can't find anything else other than RP (bad news according to this forum), and Amsoil or Neo--which are the same high price as MT-90. I'm open to ideas, but I'll have to order the Red Line tomorrow if no one can steer me to a better, less-expensive option. Thanks again, all--you should have seen that cabin filter--horrifying! ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
QUOTE (Fatal-Error @ Feb 20 2010, 08:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638501
Yea, change it just no need to get the redline bud.

Listen to halozander, he gave me some advice and it came out nice :)

**even though his Avatar makes me want to drive my mazda in Halo 3 lol **[/b]
cool I give good advice!

QUOTE (JerseyBoy357 @ Feb 20 2010, 08:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638514
We could always modify our 6 into.....a convertible!! Plenty of whooshing then,lol.

B[/b]
haha this reminds me of a viva la bam episode where he sawzals a moon roof into his lambo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts