Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 6i
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey all, on the #1 Cylinder I have this stud that's stripped and I have no direction on how to get it out. I'm thinking to chop it down and try a bolt extractor (the one that cuts into a bolt) but I'm open to any suggestions. I had some work done on the engine valve gaskets and when they did the work they removed the stripped bolt and then put it back stripped even further. I'm at a loss here because I wanna change that spark plug / do a compression test!

·
Rally Racer
2,715 Posts
View attachment 240812

Hey all, on the #1 Cylinder I have this stud that's stripped and I have no direction on how to get it out. I'm thinking to chop it down and try a bolt extractor (the one that cuts into a bolt) but I'm open to any suggestions. I had some work done on the engine valve gaskets and when they did the work they removed the stripped bolt and then put it back stripped even further. I'm at a loss here because I wanna change that spark plug / do a compression test!
I would probably try my needle nose vice grip on it first.

If that didn't work I would find a 12pt deep socket in the box that I could tap down around it and gently unscrew.
If that didn't work I would use my rotary tool with a cutoff wheel and just lop it off above the coil.

·
Registered
2008 6i
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stud is so rounded that I don't think socket will bite on it at all, but I'll give it a try. I realized I don't have either a needle nose vice grip, nor a rotors tool / Cut off wheel!

I always love an excuse to get new tools so thanks, I'll give that a try at some point!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Its not a stud, its a nut on a stud. You need one of these and then a new stud/nut. Also, thats for the coil pack, not the spark plug :)
I didn't know that there's a nut extractor but it makes sense since there's a bolt extractor.

I remember our machinist removing one, he made a cut on one side and used a chisel to hammer it out. Then that long nose vice grip as suggested.

·
Registered
2008 6i
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not a stud, its a nut on a stud. You need one of these and then a new stud/nut. Also, thats for the coil pack, not the spark plug :)
Thank you for clearing up the terminology for me :) ! I appreciate being as clear as possible. I pulled stud/nuts off of another Mazda 6 I owned before I got rid of it so I have plenty left over to replace it with!

I remember our machinist removing one, he made a cut on one side and used a chisel to hammer it out. Then that long nose vice grip as suggested.
Oh that is also a good idea!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
as it seem you have enough room to maneuver - the tried and true method of taking a quality metal file and square off that nut just enough to get a deep 6-sided socket to fit on there snuggly would work.

the method of cutting the seized nut always work too but it's limited to access as well and the substrate/structure that it is installed on. In this case, that is risky to use a chisel as you'll most likely break the mount. If you have a small rotory and nimble cut off wheel - that'll work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts