Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my '07 Mazda6 lost a ring or something (more below if you are interested) one frigid morning (-18f) and I wanted some advice on a donor engine. There are a few donor vehicles at the junk yard (haven't gone yet, just checked their inventory) but want to keep my options open. I don't want to do a 2.5 swap, I have enough frustration in my life. Just looking for other vehicles that used the same engine that I can check for.

The rest of the story is, when I bought the car(a manual), it had a ticking noise that sounded like a lifter. The guy I bought it from seemed to think it was the throwout bearing 'cause when he worked the lever the noise would go away. When I drove it, the noise went away under acceleration or deceleration and would come back with a light or no load on the engine. The weird thing is, now that tick is gone. The only thing I can think of is a ring was broken and bouncing around in there, but it was too heavy a tick to be a ring. I did a leak-down test and almost all the air is coming out of the crankcase with just a whisper in the exhaust. It might have been skirt slap but... Anyhoo, I plan on driving it until I find a donor, I disconnected the injector and aside from having no ZOOM left, it seems to be fine.

Thanks in advance!

·
Rally Racer
3,145 Posts
Hi guys, my '07 Mazda6 lost a ring or something (more below if you are interested) one frigid morning (-18f) and I wanted some advice on a donor engine. There are a few donor vehicles at the junk yard (haven't gone yet, just checked their inventory) but want to keep my options open. I don't want to do a 2.5 swap, I have enough frustration in my life. Just looking for other vehicles that used the same engine that I can check for.

The rest of the story is, when I bought the car(a manual), it had a ticking noise that sounded like a lifter. The guy I bought it from seemed to think it was the throwout bearing 'cause when he worked the lever the noise would go away. When I drove it, the noise went away under acceleration or deceleration and would come back with a light or no load on the engine. The weird thing is, now that tick is gone. The only thing I can think of is a ring was broken and bouncing around in there, but it was too heavy a tick to be a ring. I did a leak-down test and almost all the air is coming out of the crankcase with just a whisper in the exhaust. It might have been skirt slap but... Anyhoo, I plan on driving it until I find a donor, I disconnected the injector and aside from having no ZOOM left, it seems to be fine.

Thanks in advance!
Hello, welcome to the forum. I have not done this replacement myself but many people seem to have success with the Fusion motor (06-09).

According to Wiki:
2003–2007 Ford Focus
2004-2007 Mazda Axela/Mazda3
2003-2008 Mazda Atenza/Mazda6
2005-2008 Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute/Mercury Mariner
2002-2005 Mazda MPV
2006-2009 Mazda Premacy/Mazda5
2006-2009 Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Good Luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Too bad, another garbage 2.3 engine failure. Curious how many miles you coaxed out of that poorly designed motor?

Don’t poopoo the 2.5 swap. It is very little extra work compared to putting in another trash 2.3. Not only is it pretty easy, the 2.5 motor costs a fraction of the price of the crummy 2.3 because there are tons of Ford Fusions with this engine. With little effort you can find an ultra low mileage example for maybe $400. The only special part you will need to buy is an intake manifold adapter plate easily bought on eBay for maybe $20.

Not only is the 2.5 much cheaper, it is much more durable and has better power to boot. There’s a good reason Mazda abandoned the problematic 2.3. They suck and fail at a very high rate.

Now someone will inevitably come on and tell you how great the 2.3 is and how they have 200,000 miles on theirs. Then why did yours screw the pooch if it’s such a great engine?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts