Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled up last night from "E" with the light on with Diamond Shamrock 93. Ran great on the way home. Zero probs.

This morning not 10 minutes into the drive I feel the engine shudder under power...then again... and now it's blown an Engine light.

The shudder is so severe at 60 mph in 6th that any demand on the engine will shake your foot.

Sounds like a cyl has gone out? Fuel injector?

It runs extremely smooth at cruise you couldn't tell anything was wrong so I don't think it's electrical.

HELP!

:swearin:

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Yeah, Alan's lude was pretty f'd up since he ignored his for just 2 weeks.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Blinking engine light is VERY bad. I'd have it towed in to mazda by their roadside program (free)
[/b]
:yesnod: Assuming the CEL system works the same as with the regular 6, the blinking light means stop driving your car immediately and get the car towed to the shop. You should review your owner's manual to confirm this.

·
Registered
489 Posts
:yesnod: Assuming the CEL system works the same as with the regular 6, the blinking light means stop driving your car immediately and get the car towed to the shop. You should review your owner's manual to confirm this.
[/b]
Everyone's right about that. Severe misfiring means unburned fuel is exiting into the exhaust, including the turbo and catalytic converters. If the fuel ignites in the turbo, that will be very bad. The cat may also melt due to the fuel burning inside the cat.

Such damage may not be warranty-covered if you continue to drive in this condition.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Go ahead and write this down.

Blinking MIL (CEL) is the WORST thing you could see. You must do everything you can to stop on the side of the road and turn off the car. Don't start it again, and get it towed to dealer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far they have not nailed down the problem but are going to replace the purge solenoid(?)

They said the CEL was due to high-speed misfire. They asked about the gas I was running...told them I just filled up with 93 and the problem started the next day (15 miles on the tank).

I asked if they could drain the tank and check that.

More later...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back from Mazda today. All attempts to diagnose failed. I suggested the gas and they drained 1/2 of the tank and added "fuel cleaner" + refilled with 'good' gas and the problem is gone.

What a pain! This was Diamond Shamrock 93 and it was tested by Mazda for water: none found. The report came back "bad gas"

Sigh... :swearin:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Back from Mazda today. All attempts to diagnose failed. I suggested the gas and they drained 1/2 of the tank and added "fuel cleaner" + refilled with 'good' gas and the problem is gone.

What a pain! This was Diamond Shamrock 93 and it was tested by Mazda for water: none found. The report came back "bad gas"

Sigh... :swearin:
[/b]
sorry to hear that good luck

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Filled up last night from "E" with the light on with Diamond Shamrock 93. Ran great on the way home. Zero probs.

This morning not 10 minutes into the drive I feel the engine shudder under power...then again... and now it's blown an Engine light.

The shudder is so severe at 60 mph in 6th that any demand on the engine will shake your foot.

Sounds like a cyl has gone out? Fuel injector?

It runs extremely smooth at cruise you couldn't tell anything was wrong so I don't think it's electrical.

HELP!

:swearin:
[/b]

Did this happen right as boost built towards maximum? I have had that happen a number of times but it didn't throw a CEL. I've wondered what's up with it. It's sporadic too.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Sigh... :swearin:[/b]
So what did they say was "bad" about the gas then? It has no water in it, right? Has it happened again since then?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hey - that's a good sign, no? Better having bad gas and getting it all purged out than a cylinder going ka-put. Saves on the green! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
13 Participants
alex6speed
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing