Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2006 Mazda 6i in for its 30,000 mile servicing. It's about to hit the 4 year mark when the warranty expires.

I think I agreed to way too many expensive fluid flushes and changes. I've had no problems with the car (except the outer window mouldings had to be replaced, under warranty. All of them were cracking) and obviously don't put a huge number of miles on it. Drive to work is about 4 miles each way, but I often drive 40-60 miles each way to get out of town on the weekend. I live in Colorado so there's a lot of winter driving too. Get synthetic oil changes every 6 months, tire rotations every 7,500 miles. Hasn't needed anything else until now. Been going to my Mazda dealership first in San Diego, CA, now in Fort Collins, CO. I like to be proactive with my maintenance as I really like my Mazda 6 and plan to drive it for as long as possible. But what I paid for seems excessive!

In addition to the normal 30k service ($153.85 before a $40 off coupon, includes oil change) they flushed and changed the Brake, Gas Coolant, Power Steering, and Automatic Transmission fluids. The last was the most expensive, $220!

Total was $692! Feeling like a fool I did some research (after the fact, unfortunately). Seems like brake fluid is the most critical to change, but the condition of all these fluids can be checked to determine if a change is really needed, right? Mazda's schedule says engine coolant just needs to be changed every 5 years.

I also noticed on the Full Circle report that an Oil Leak was noted, and in Dec. an Oil Seep was noted. Called my dealership back and am taking my car back in tomorrow to get that checked out before my warranty is up. Seems far too early for an oil leak. Perhaps it just needs a new gasket? I also don't think they did a tire rotation after all that, so hoping I get get a free one done since I gave them $700.

Also, should I get the wheels aligned on a schedule, or just when the alignment seems bad? Is there a good way of checking that, apart for checking for drift when you let go of the steering wheel?

I also feel like the a/c doesn't get that cold, meant to ask them to check the refrigerant pressure...

After this I may get my oil changes and rotations done elsewhere since I feel pretty ripped off.

Sorry for the long post, any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2006 6i also but have not put that much into mine. Most of the stuff on the 30k inspection is a DIY kind of thing. At least to me it is. Its funny since I receive coupons in the mail and they want 150.xx as well and most of the things are "Inspect" and at the bottom you will see one or two "Replace". To me, its better to just wait for a $39.99 alignment coupon, $29.99 brake flush, and $14.95 oil change coupon to come in and do it immediately as opposed to waiting until a set schedule and hoping a coupon would come at that time. For example, when I received that $29.99 brake flush, I knew that was a good deal so I did the service. Haven't seen another coupon like it in over a year. The alignment is normally $89.99 but I got mine for $39.99 after the coupon.

The way I look at it is, if something is wrong, they will inspect it for free and be more then happy to give you a bill. I don't need them to tell me at 30k lol.

·
Registered
572 Posts
ask for the reccomended maintenance schedule from the service dept for your car. the stuff they had you do was unnecessary. if i remembr correctly the 30K is a complete fuel clean, oil change, tire rotation and fluid check. i have it at home. i will be back there on sa and will upload it for you next week. bottom line: ask to see if they can show you where this maintenance is written as scheduled for 30K and if they can not provide it talk to the service manager. GL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They did say that the fluid flushing is in addition to Mazda's maintenance schedule, so that was my bad. Should have done my research before-hand. I think the brake flush was a good idea, as moisture can build up in there quickly. They charged too much though.

The mazdausa website has a nice interface to see your Mazda's recommended maintenance schedule in various formats, and download that section of your manual. Click on the "Owners" tab to see it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
They try to strong-arm you into paying for these unnecessary things by saying that if you don't them, your warranty will be void if something goes wrong.

You should show them your owner's manual - Chapter 8, maintenance - you'll notice the only things marked "R" under 30k miles are oil and oil filter. Ask them to show you where the rest of the stuff you "need to do" in order to keep the warranty.

Reactions: XsillyputtyX
1 - 5 of 5 Posts