Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyone on this forum that has 17in rims on their ms6 with a drop? i have some left over rota subzeros when i had my p5 and i wanted to see how it would look on the ms6, i know tires would be hell of a lot cheaper for 17s

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
is there anyone on this forum that has 17in rims on their ms6 with a drop? i have some left over rota subzeros when i had my p5 and i wanted to see how it would look on the ms6, i know tires would be hell of a lot cheaper for 17s
[/b]
I'm using 17"x7.5" Rota Subzero rims for my winter wheels, although my car's suspension is stock (at least for now). I'm pretty happy with the appearance of the wheels. I'll try to get some pictures posted soon so you can see what they look like on the car.

If your rims are also 7.5" wide, be aware you might need to look into getting the fenders rolled, especially if your car is lowered. My rims have a 45mm offset, and I'm planning to roll the fenders. I haven't had any rubbing yet, but the fenders look a little too close for my comfort. If your rims have a 48mm offset, or are 7" wide, you might be okay without a fender roll.

If your original question is pertaining to winter tires, I definately recommend going with 17" wheels and tires. Not only are the tires cheaper than 18", but you gain taller sidewalls which provide more rim protection on crappy winter roads.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that'll be awesome if you could get some pictures. i forgot what offset my rotas were but they're for sure 17x7.5 the drop will probably be with Meagan springs but i'm still waiting for reviews from those that have the MR springs.

I'm using 17"x7.5" Rota Subzero rims for my winter wheels, although my car's suspension is stock (at least for now). I'm pretty happy with the appearance of the wheels. I'll try to get some pictures posted soon so you can see what they look like on the car.

If your rims are also 7.5" wide, be aware you might need to look into getting the fenders rolled, especially if your car is lowered. My rims have a 45mm offset, and I'm planning to roll the fenders. I haven't had any rubbing yet, but the fenders look a little too close for my comfort. If your rims have a 48mm offset, or are 7" wide, you might be okay without a fender roll.

If your original question is pertaining to winter tires, I definately recommend going with 17" wheels and tires. Not only are the tires cheaper than 18", but you gain taller sidewalls which provide more rim protection on crappy winter roads.
[/b]

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
What do you guys think of the Rota SLipstreams? They make those in 5x114.3...its a shame i cant fit a 16 inch wheel for a winter wheel...or can I?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
What do you guys think of the Rota SLipstreams? They make those in 5x114.3...its a shame i cant fit a 16 inch wheel for a winter wheel...or can I?
[/b]
I like the Slipstreams better than the Subzeros, but Rota's inventory of the Slipstreams in the size I needed was low at the time I ordered my rims. So, I settled for the Subzeros as my second choice.

As for 16 inch wheels on the MS6, I would say that this isn't going to happen (in general). You can see in my last picture how little caplier clearance exists with the 17 inch wheels. There was a post here a while back that appeared to show some 16 inch steel wheels on a MS6. Unfortunatley, I can't seem to find it right now. I imagine you would need to search many 16 inch wheels before you found one with the correct fitment.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
how much clearance do you have on the front brakes with balance weights? has anyone considered 17" subzeros for year-round? i like the look of these rims and the price is right. i'd like to get back to 215/50/17 to save money and handle shitty roads a little better.

i'm a little concerned about these rims supporting the MS6's considerable weight. should this be an issue?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
how much clearance do you have on the front brakes with balance weights?
[/b]
There is sufficient room for the wheel weights on the rims. If you are really worried about space, the weights could be placed in front of the spokes, but this wouldn't look as nice.

has anyone considered 17" subzeros for year-round? i like the look of these rims and the price is right. i'd like to get back to 215/50/17 to save money and handle shitty roads a little better.
[/b]
I'm planning to get a set of 17"x8" rims next spring to use with summer tires. The wider wheel will be compatible with wider tires (probably 235mm section width). 17 inch wheels should be lighter than almost anything available in 18 inch, which will reduce unsprung weight. Also, 17 inch tires tend to be cheaper than their 18 inch counterparts.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

If your original question is pertaining to winter tires, I definately recommend going with 17" wheels and tires. Not only are the tires cheaper than 18", but you gain taller sidewalls which provide more rim protection on crappy winter roads. [/b]
thanks for the pictures, I have a set of these wheels on order, the ones I'm getting are 17x7.5 with a 48mm offset (so I'm told) but my car also sits at stock height so it doesn't appear to be a problem.
how is the build quality of the wheels? I was a bit concerned to hear someone questioning their strength.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
where did you find them? what color are you going with? cost? thanks, i've found them for as little as $520 shipped, but not in silver or steel gray.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
jlbmotorsports online have some good deals.

MK706, where have you found them for $250 shipped?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I was a bit concerned to hear someone questioning their strength.
[/b]
my concern lays only in that internet searches only found these rims on Subies & other lighter tuner cars. that and the light weight (16.9lbs for 17s)

i really like the idea of lightweight 17s. these rims paired with Kumho SPTS would only weight 40.9lbs or almost 7lbs less per corner.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
my concern lays only in that internet searches only found these rims on Subies & other lighter tuner cars. that and the light weight (16.9lbs for 17s)

i really like the idea of lightweight 17s. these rims paired with Kumho SPTS would only weight 40.9lbs or almost 7lbs less per corner. [/b]
well, light weight in a wheel doesn't exactly mean poor construction or weakness......i guess we'll both find out. For safety sake I ordered a set of 5, just in case the worst happens I won't be out a wheel until another one can be ordered.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
where did you end up buying them? what color did you go with? no one seems to have them in stock. i just got off the phone with two promising leads that didn't pan out; out of stock.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
where did you end up buying them? what color did you go with? no one seems to have them in stock. i just got off the phone with two promising leads that didn't pan out; out of stock. [/b]
Got mine from MachIII, 60-90 day special order (ordered in early Oct.) which is no big deal as I was planning on waiting until spring to put some good dry performance tires on them. I paid $550 for the set, a little more it seems.
I ordered them in silver without the polished lip.

EDIT: that price was for a set of 4, the fifth one increased the bill proportionally.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
what tires/size did you go with? i'm looking at toyo proxes4 215/50/17, 225/50/17 or t1r in 225/50/17.

i'm on a timeline though, i've got to get new tires within a thousand miles. i don't think i can last longer than three weeks max. my stockies are about gone. i'm going to give machiii a call. thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
what tires/size did you go with? i'm looking at toyo proxes4 215/50/17, 225/50/17 or t1r in 225/50/17.

i'm on a timeline though, i've got to get new tires within a thousand miles. i don't think i can last longer than three weeks max. my stockies are about gone. i'm going to give machiii a call. thanks for the tip. [/b]
I was originally just going to mount the stock 215/50's on them but after thinking it over for a while have decided to keep the OEM tires on the stock wheels, use them for winter driving and put some suitable summer performance tires on the Rota's. Without any fender rolling and the car sitting at stock height I believe 225/45's should fit just fine, but haven't settled on a particular tire yet.
Falken, Yokohama, Toyo are some that I'm considering. Empahsis will be on dry grip with at least decent wet performance (so I don't kill myself when it rains)
Unfortunately unless they ordered more than just my set I don't think MachIII will be able to help you out any quicker. Seems like it takes time to get those wheels no matter who you order from.

The guy I talked to was Dave, BTW.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts